Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone on NGB - Wots Speed is Shown on ur Router Settings

• 03-05-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I signed onto the NGB advanced package and on the eircom meter and BB support page it says my usage is capped at 30megs. After talking to eircom sales and BB tech support they assured me I was on the advanced package.

Now I have noticed on the Netopia router homepage (192.168.1.254) that my speed is stated at 7168/512 (kbps). I have a feeling that they put me on to a 7meg package.

Can anybody on NGB tell me what speed it says on your router settings?
    Does it say 8192/*** (kbps)?

The speed I'm getting now is 6.14mbps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 apm0003

Hi,
    The NGB offering is 'up to 8Mbit'. Your Netopia should sync at a speed your line is capable of. Your line may not be capable of any more then 7168 Kbps.

Check your ADSL statistics and look at your downstream line attentuation and SNR margin. To do this on the Netopia, switch into expert mode (option on menu) then look at Statistics - DSL.

Useful website to estimate what sync speed you should achieve if the line is not rate limited. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

This another problem with eircom's NGB, because they're giving everyone the maximum speed their line can handle, up to 8Mbps, but not everyone's lime will be capable of that. To add to this, they don't seem to be explaining it to anyone either, so people aren't going to be aware that they're not getting the 8Mbps advertised, or when they do become aware of it, they're confused as to why.

I think the majority of lines in Ireland won't be able to support 8Mbps on ADSL, due to distance and line quality issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

jor el makes a very good point here. I had eircom for 8 years and it was fine but then it started disconnecting and i started having problems. Long story short cable/line deteriorated for reason unknown (storm, flood, wind, whatever..) and I was able to sync only at 900/286 . Eircom tested exchange and at my home. They said exchange was clean and there were errors on my end. As it could not be determined if the problem was somewhere on the line up to my house or in my house I was on my own. When I asked Eircom to replace the cable this was not an option. I was lucky in a way that I could switch to UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Gerb68

I appreciate the replies but I am aware that my line is capable of 8 mbps(approx) as I have tested the stats on a couple of sites. I am also aware that NGB is "up to 8 mgbs.
    What I'm trying to find out is what it states as speed on the router settings homepage for other NGB users.

I think eircom are a bit all over the place connecting me up as they may have put me on the wrong package. The 7mbps package.

Advertisement