Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fantasy books.. die hard fans please

Options
  • 03-05-2010 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Ok so I was pondering this question.. What makes a good or even great Fantasy novel? One that is based on Folklore or Mythology and brought into a whole new world? Or a great fantasy book be completely made from scratch NOT (yes I said not!) based on any legends? What makes a great fantasy book for you?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I think books based on both myth as well as new creations can both be great works of fiction. What matters is that the author has taken the topic and made it thier own. Nothing is more boring than someone taking an old story and telling it the same old way.

A good author does not just regurgitate stories and characters, they develop a humanity to their characters and create a plot that while fantasitcal is also believable. I think that the character development as well of the flow of the story are critical. They have to make their version of reality something that you can believe for the duration of the story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Robert Jordan pretty much ripped off most of human history. Aiel = Arabs, Seanchan = Roman Empire, Borderlands = Nordic/Oriental warrior castes, The Dragon Reborn = the second coming of Christ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MonkeySocks24

jujibee wrote: »
    I think books based on both myth as well as new creations can both be great works of fiction. What matters is that the author has taken the topic and made it thier own. Nothing is more boring than someone taking an old story and telling it the same old way.

A good author does not just regurgitate stories and characters, they develop a humanity to their characters and create a plot that while fantasitcal is also believable. I think that the character development as well of the flow of the story are critical. They have to make their version of reality something that you can believe for the duration of the story.

Thanks for the advice. I agree that characters are so important, they draw the reader in and the flow is very important too. I have read book were the flow wasn't good and it drew me away from the story and I could almost imagine where the writer stop writing took a break and then started again. It ruined it for me. I think it's very hard to do something that hasn't already been done so it's very important to tell a story in our own way.
    Denerick wrote: »
    Robert Jordan pretty much ripped off most of human history. Aiel = Arabs, Seanchan = Roman Empire, Borderlands = Nordic/Oriental warrior castes, The Dragon Reborn = the second coming of Christ...

Yeah. It's shocking when you start taking apart some writers works and start to see that it is just basically copied. I found that about HP. Felt like it was a mixture of Roald Dahls work and J. R. R. Tolkien.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 dazza_480

i like a fantasy book written from scratch i don't like fantasy books based in real places in my opinion this is not fantasy

dazza_480 wrote: »
    i like a fantasy book written from scratch i don't like fantasy books based in real places in my opinion this is not fantasy

I disagree with this. Many fantasy books are based on real places but the events are different and the rules. That is fantasy still.

I like the idea of writing a world from scratch.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

A whole new world from scratch is much the better option for me. Means you can get lost in the place and has no links to the world around us.

I do think it is hard for fantasy writers however to completely come up with everything from scratch. Alot tend to base it on something/place/one from the world around and develop it around that basis in order to give them a rough idea of where they are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 King-of-mice

the whole point of fantasy is that it is Fantasy. Whatever subconcious things are going through the authors mind at the time even they dont know. Every book you read,every life experience will have an influence. All good writers draw from their lives, even fantasy writers. Ive had a few beers so feel free to giveout!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The setting or 'alternative universe' is key. Get that right, and you're on your way.

After that, like any novel, it's all about the characters and the plot. I also think it's very important to not let the "magic" elements become the focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

I have to agree with Dades. The world that the book is set in is what adds the interest but without a good plot/characters the book is going nowhere. A lot of fantasy books go for clichéd characters and plot, like a young boy is discovered with potential for greatness and must fight the equivalent of the devil.
    I prefer fantasy novels with little or no magic as it normally leads to achievements without that much effort. A lot of "magicking" your way out of tricky situations. Generally the magical system always comes of as being a bit weak.
    I'm a big fan of "Song of Ice and Fire" and have just finished "A feast for crows". I thought the characters were well thought out with a brilliant plot. Magic initially was only mentioned but started to play a bigger role as the series progressed. I would rather if this series didn't have any magic at all but i can only see it gaining in importance over the next few books.
    Novel worlds in books can be very interesting but as was already said its very hard for the author not to draw influence from somewhere("Song of Ice and Fire" is admittedly takes influence medieval europe but story is based on his own events/characters in a fictional world.)
    Fantasy books don't have to be based on the JRR Tolkien type style. I would consider "1984", "Brave New World" and "Oryx and Crake" fantasy novels but these are set in alternative versions of this world with the point of getting a message across.

Raedwald wrote: »
    A whole new world from scratch is much the better option for me. Means you can get lost in the place and has no links to the world around us.

I do think it is hard for fantasy writers however to completely come up with everything from scratch. Alot tend to base it on something/place/one from the world around and develop it around that basis in order to give them a rough idea of where they are going.

This is true. It's tough going trying to be original in fantasy, well any form of writing really.
    the whole point of fantasy is that it is Fantasy. Whatever subconcious things are going through the authors mind at the time even they dont know. Every book you read,every life experience will have an influence. All good writers draw from their lives, even fantasy writers. Ive had a few beers so feel free to giveout!!

Haha :). I agree with some of this. Altho it's hard to draw from your life sometimes.
    Dades wrote: »
    The setting or 'alternative universe' is key. Get that right, and you're on your way.

After that, like any novel, it's all about the characters and the plot. I also think it's very important to not let the "magic" elements become the focus.

Yeah characters are very important. A character we all can relate too really makes for a good read.
    TheBandit wrote: »
    I have to agree with Dades. The world that the book is set in is what adds the interest but without a good plot/characters the book is going nowhere. A lot of fantasy books go for clichéd characters and plot, like a young boy is discovered with potential for greatness and must fight the equivalent of the devil.
    I prefer fantasy novels with little or no magic as it normally leads to achievements without that much effort. A lot of "magicking" your way out of tricky situations. Generally the magical system always comes of as being a bit weak.
    I'm a big fan of "Song of Ice and Fire" and have just finished "A feast for crows". I thought the characters were well thought out with a brilliant plot. Magic initially was only mentioned but started to play a bigger role as the series progressed. I would rather if this series didn't have any magic at all but i can only see it gaining in importance over the next few books.
    Novel worlds in books can be very interesting but as was already said its very hard for the author not to draw influence from somewhere("Song of Ice and Fire" is admittedly takes influence medieval europe but story is based on his own events/characters in a fictional world.)
    Fantasy books don't have to be based on the JRR Tolkien type style. I would consider "1984", "Brave New World" and "Oryx and Crake" fantasy novels but these are set in alternative versions of this world with the point of getting a message across.

Yeah the gifted human has been done so many times. '1984' and 'Brave New World' are brilliant books! Oh if only I could write like that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement