Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Detected but wont Connect

Options
  • 03-05-2010 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭

My new PC has had a wireless adapter fitted

it has found my network but it wnt connect.

Its a netgear router, a belkin adapter and im running windows 7

has anyone any ideas as to how i can get it working!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cptlongnostrils

windows 7/ vista incorpoates a: 'diagnose why windows will not connect feature' what does it tell you?

what type of security is running on the netgear?

Do you have network sharing enabled?
    Do you have selected 'connect to an ad-hoc network'?
    Is 'connect to first available network ' selected?
    what is the first network in your network list? delete them all and try again.
    Do you have access to the router or does someone else? Admin wise..
    Change the channel on your netgear router.

Can't really explain how to fix the problem without more info. what have you done already?
    what dont you understand?

Also and being a little snotty, please excuse; but if its a new pc why does it have a belkin adapter fitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

windows 7/ vista incorpoates a: 'diagnose why windows will not connect feature' what does it tell you?

what type of security is running on the netgear?

Do you have network sharing enabled?
    Do you have selected 'connect to an ad-hoc network'?
    Is 'connect to first available network ' selected?
    what is the first network in your network list? delete them all and try again.
    Do you have access to the router or does someone else? Admin wise..
    Change the channel on your netgear router.

Can't really explain how to fix the problem without more info. what have you done already?
    what dont you understand?

Also and being a little snotty, please excuse; but if its a new pc why does it have a belkin adapter fitted?

thanks for the reply, great to hear from you!

no its selecting the home network, the one thats running in the house

the first network that appears is my own, as its the strongest link

its not just the wireless, when i connected the moden directly to the pc it still wouldnt allow me use the internet even though it recognised the network

its fitted with a belkin one as it was the one recommended to me by the guy in PC World

Aaahh . i see. - well me thinks i understand.

And your welcome.

So the wireless is actually connected? - in that when you hover the mouse over the icon at the bottom right it says 'network AND internet' ?

If this is correct tell me who is your internet service provider is and i shall reveal to you a magestical trick.

If not:

Is the little light for internet is flashing on your router?
    If not: then you inthe wrong place , but i'll point you in the right direction best i can.

Scouse forth my good man.

Aaahh . i see. - well me thinks i understand.

And your welcome.

So the wireless is actually connected? - in that when you hover the mouse over the icon at the bottom right it says 'network AND internet' ?

If this is correct tell me who is your internet service provider is and i shall reveal to you a magestical trick.

If not:

Is the little light for internet is flashing on your router?
    If not: then you inthe wrong place , but i'll point you in the right direction best i can.

Scouse forth my good man.

yes the wireless is fine, all our other laptops and ipod touches etc can connect and operate without any problems

my internet provider is NTL

remember, im running windows 7 also

Hi Scouser.
    OK.
    Go to your start menu and click control panel.
    Chose network and internet. click network and sharing centre.
    Click change adapter settings. Right click directly on the icon for wireless connection.left click properties.
    if you dont see properties and it says 'view/arrange icons by' when you right click - you not doing it right. try again.

There is a list of components(they have correction marks in the boxes on the boxes on the left).
    You will see"internet protocol Tcp/ip. It will be there twice, version 6 &version 4. Remove the tick from V6.
    click the V4 so that it is highlighted.
    This allows you to click properties -just underneath. Do so.- A new window opens.

you should have selected 'obtain ip address automatically'
    Below this you should also have selected obtain dns addresses automatically'.
    Change that so what is now selected is: 'use the following dns'
    Now type in these numbers in the first and second lines:
    If you type the dot the cursor will jump into the nest box across for you.

Click ok. Try your internet browser again.All should be well.

[for those of you who know- i couldn't find NTL dns adress anywhere on the internet- please post them if you know them _thanks]

• Advertisement

Hi Scouser.
    OK.
    Go to your start menu and click control panel.
    Chose network and internet. click network and sharing centre.
    Click change adapter settings. Right click directly on the icon for wireless connection.left click properties.
    if you dont see properties and it says 'view/arrange icons by' when you right click - you not doing it right. try again.

There is a list of components(they have correction marks in the boxes on the boxes on the left).
    You will see"internet protocol Tcp/ip. It will be there twice, version 6 &version 4. Remove the tick from V6.
    click the V4 so that it is highlighted.
    This allows you to click properties -just underneath. Do so.- A new window opens.

you should have selected 'obtain ip address automatically'
    Below this you should also have selected obtain dns addresses automatically'.
    Change that so what is now selected is: 'use the following dns'
    Now type in these numbers in the first and second lines:
    If you type the dot the cursor will jump into the nest box across for you.

Click ok. Try your internet browser again.All should be well.

[for those of you who know- i couldn't find NTL dns adress anywhere on the internet- please post them if you know them _thanks]

i followed your instructions to a Tee,

and no joy :(

what can i do now?

lots of things.

First- ill pressume your using internet expolrer,
    Go to start/ control panrl -click internet options. Go to go the advanced tab. at the very bottom click 'reset'

try again after this has been done.

If not download firefox: http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/ ( a differnet browser) from one of your other machines and install it and try it instead.

hasn't worked?

Go to start menu - right click my computer left click properties.
    go to the hardware tab and click device manager. expand the network adapter tab, right click the wireless one and click properties.
    Go the the driver tab and click uninstall and yes you are sure you want to do it. Restart the machine and reconnect.

Still the same?

Go to start /all programs / accessories / command prompt. try right click this and left click 'run as administrator'. If the option isn't there just open it normally.

type 'netsh' and press enter. on the next line type 'dump'(without the brackets of course) and press enter & restart the machine. Any better? no?

open the command window as you did before
    type: 'netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt' and press enter - nothing much visual happens. restart the machine.

Has any of the above changed things?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,214 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Advertisement