Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS space station

Options
  • 03-05-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

I have just watched the ISS space station pass over for the second time tonight, over 17,000 mps it was some awsome. Has anyone else seen it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Seen it Saturday night at around 00:00

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Saw it on Sunday night and again last night.

Very impressive!

Managed to track it with my binoculars (and ruin my night vision for a while :) ).

Did scramble around trining to find it with the telescope, but since I have trouble finding STATIONARY objects with the 'scope I gave up on that :)

Here's a useful link...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭TwistsAndTurns

I was using this link myself and found it very good, just refresh every now and then to keep track http://www.heavens-above.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Thanks for that :)

You can get predicted passes on the ISS site

I picked Athlone as it's near enough to me :)

From this (Ireland) page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

It was brilliant alright. Passed over at 9.50pm I think and 11.20 again (although it disappeared into the earth's shadow the second time but there was a shooting star right before it). it when around the earth in 90mins....pretty fast!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

whizzed in and out of the clouds here in the west last night at 11 o'clock-first time in ages I managed to see it-always a beautiful sight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

just saw it pass over there 9.50 . iwas up on killiney hill very clear coming from the west but lost it in cloud to east . but still very nice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It's going to pass again at 11:25pm

Date: Friday, May 07, 2010
    Time: 11:26 PM
    Duration: 1 minutes
    Maximum Elevation: 28°
    Approach: 17° above WSW
    Departure: 28° above SW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Is it true when it is finished that it will be easily visible even during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Is it true when it is finished that it will be easily visible even during the day?

It is more or less finished right now. All the major solar panels are fitted so it's not going to get much bigger or brighter than it is now. There is just 2 or so modules left to attach to it.

I believe it can be seen during the day as it is but it's very hard to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

SO thats what it was. I saw it on Friday night and it was super to look at. I thought it was differant than anything else i saw before. I live near tullamore and saw something very strange about 15 years ago near Lilliput (lough ennell) Was there any reports on strand lights in the sky at that time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

It is more or less finished right now. All the major solar panels are fitted so it's not going to get much bigger or brighter than it is now. There is just 2 or so modules left to attach to it.

I believe it can be seen during the day as it is but it's very hard to see.

Thanks mate. I would be seriously cool if it was easily visible during the day:)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Pass tonight at about 21:55 for 4 minutes and then tomorrow at 22:20 for 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

Saw it last night at about 23.40 for about 30 seconds and then clouds obscured the view :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

Over the next day or two we may be able to see the shuttle chasing it in orbit. When Atlantis is docked it will increase the possibility of spotting it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Dacian wrote: »
    Over the next day or two we may be able to see the shuttle chasing it in orbit. When Atlantis is docked it will increase the possibility of spotting it.
    Sorry Dacian but no sightings are possible from Ireland this time:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Unusual to see ISS sightings making the news,must be a slow news day!

Heavens above is giving me 23.41 so you may want to check yourself for your own area.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/international-space-station-visible-in-irish-skies-462927.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

i seen it at 11.43 last night. heard it would be passing over at this time so checked it out. and there it was at that time exactly. just like a big star zooming acroos the sky.

Couldn't see ****e with all the cloud around.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

sky was completely clear last night, it was in the northwest anyway. big moon clear sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Will it be visible tonight

Pot wrote:
    Will it be visible tonight

Sorry,only seen your post now. Pass tonight at 22.59 and early tomorrow morning at 00.33 and 02.09 and 03.44!

Tomorrow(sunday) at 23.25!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

Thanks shall keep my eye out for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Missed it....Cloud in my area of the world.

iceage wrote: »
    Missed it....Cloud in my area of the world.
    Beautiful pass last night at 23:25 and again at 01:04:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

What times is it due tonight? (Monday)

These are based on Dublin but anywhere else in Ireland will be near enough the same time.

28 Jun -2.6 22:17:00 10 SW 22:19:34 28 SSE 22:22:08 10 E
    28 Jun -3.6 23:51:44 10 WSW 23:54:38 61 S 23:57:32 10 E
    29 Jun -3.4 01:26:58 10 W 01:29:49 46 SSW 01:32:16 13 ESE
    29 Jun -1.6 03:02:47 10 WSW 03:03:44 14 WSW 03:03:44 14 WSW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

oh dear, I only have an *interest* in gazing at the sky...at 22.17 I should look to the southwest? (I'll scuttle off again after this! Thanks!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Bleedin Delish

Where are you guys getting the time predictions from? Is there a good website etc for predicting the times for Ireland?

• Advertisement

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Click on the map and tag your location and then click ISS and it'll give you the times for the next few days.

Advertisement