Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS space station

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

lord lucan wrote: »
    Sorry,only seen your post now. Pass tonight at 22.59 and early tomorrow morning at 00.33 and 02.09 and 03.44!

Tomorrow(sunday) at 23.25!

Something else came over at about 1:25 on the Sunday morning. Could have been Genesis 1 but at 3.3 magnitude, I have doubts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Where are you guys getting the time predictions from? Is there a good website etc for predicting the times for Ireland?
    Another good site is from NASA

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=Ireland
    Click on the nearest City or town.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

23:10 tonight for about 4 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

Just after hearing David Moore on Newstalk shilling money from innocent people telling them to text space to them for €1 a text...scam artists when the info is for free on the net for the ISS passings. Promoting space my eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭fifilarue

markfla wrote: »
    Just after hearing David Moore on Newstalk shilling money from innocent people telling them to text space to them for €1 a text...scam artists when the info is for free on the net for the ISS passings. Promoting space my eye.

Totally agree with you markfla-as I was one of those eegits until I 'found' boards.ie.

On a more positive note, last night's passing here was spectacular-6 mins plus across a clear midsummer night's sky. Almost the best I've ever seen. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

I missed the pass last night, saw it a few nights ago and it was cool. I think during the winter it looks better as you can see it turning deep orange as it passes over the terminator.
    I mailed and text newstalk about the rip off, they never mentioned my info on air so are obviously in cohorts...David Moore also never mentioned on air you have to text "stop" to their number to avoid a daily rip off. I'm actually very angry about it!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

markfla wrote: »
    I missed the pass last night, saw it a few nights ago and it was cool. I think during the winter it looks better as you can see it turning deep orange as it passes over the terminator.
    I mailed and text newstalk about the rip off, they never mentioned my info on air so are obviously in cohorts...David Moore also never mentioned on air you have to text "stop" to their number to avoid a daily rip off. I'm actually very angry about it!:mad:

This was also in this mornings Indo. Robbing Bastards!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭tomaschonnie

im from Galway. looking at spaceflight.nasa.gov am I right to expect to see the pace station at 2 mins after midnight tonight? i dunno whether im just tired or what but im finding it confusing.

im from Galway. looking at spaceflight.nasa.gov am I right to expect to see the pace station at 2 mins after midnight tonight? i dunno whether im just tired or what but im finding it confusing.

The first pass is at 22.27,although there'll probably still be too much light to see it properly.

Next pass is 00.02 which should be a lot brighter.

The first pass is at 22.27,although there'll probably still be too much light to see it properly.

I take that back,she was nice and bright even in the fading light.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭tomaschonnie

i stood out but didnt catch it :( very cloudy here though. will stand out again at midnight.

evening all :)
    Im confused, when I go to NASA's sighting page, im getting pass time of 01.12 am for tonight.

I did see the pass last night. It came booting across the sky all bright white lights, then it suddenly turned red, the lights rather and headed off in an upwardly direction. So fast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Saw the ISS again there. Only really came into view after it had just passed my house. Spectacular as always.

Jake1 wrote: »
    evening all :)
    Im confused, when I go to NASA's sighting page, im getting pass time of 01.12 am for tonight.

I always use Heavens Above,never failed me yet.

missed it :( Ill try after 12.00 also.

Thanks LL

NASA's sighting guide seems to be 27 minutes later than the Heavens above times i looked at!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

WOW from Dublin... Fantastic clear views.

F**k me,that was awesome!! Could clearly see Progress about 1 minute ahead of the ISS.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Yup just saw it there over North Co. Dub, was fantastic, very fast, amazing watching it fade away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

That was REALLY BRIGHT!

We had three false alarms of a plane, a helicopter and a seagull and were about to give up when it came into view. Awesome stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Saw this by chance tonight as I was locking the door! Was convinced I saw a UFO...this was some sight!

Tomorrow night keep an eye on the sky at 22.53 for the ISS. When you catch sight of it in the West as it transits to the East move your view to the left of the ISS and you'll see another dimmer light moving at the same speed as the ISS. That's the Progress Russian supply ship that was due to dock with the ISS today but had to abort. Looks like Sunday afternoon before they'll try and dock it so we'll get another chance to see a rare sight of 2 objects hurtling around the planet within a short distance of each other.

Another pass also at 00.29 on Sunday morning that should be reasonably visible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Tomorrow night keep an eye on the sky at 22.53 for the ISS. When you catch sight of it in the West as it transits to the East move your view to the left of the ISS and you'll see another dimmer light moving at the same speed as the ISS. That's the Progress Russian supply ship that was due to dock with the ISS today but had to abort. Looks like Sunday afternoon before they'll try and dock it so we'll get another chance to see a rare sight of 2 objects hurtling around the planet within a short distance of each other.

Another pass also at 00.29 on Sunday morning that should be reasonably visible.

That was the thing moving ahead of the ISS tonight?

Silverfish wrote: »
    That was the thing moving ahead of the ISS tonight?

Yeah. Ordinarily the only time you'll see anything trailing or preceeding the ISS is when the Shuttle is catching up to it or after undocking from it. Due to it's size it'll reflect enough light to be visible (depending on what side of the world it occurs obv.) and sometimes if we're really lucky we might catch sight of a Soyuz. Think i've only seen a Soyuz once though.

We should get to see Progress ahead of the ISS again tomorrow night,weather permitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

Hi , I see the ISS will be passing tonight , heres the details

-3.4 mag , time 22:11, alt : 10

Does this look like it will be visible enough on a summers night like this?

The_Joker. wrote: »
    Hi , I see the ISS will be passing tonight , heres the details

-3.4 mag , time 22:11, alt : 10

Does this look like it will be visible enough on a summers night like this?

I must be getting my wires crossed here-heavensabove is giving me a time of 23.43 for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Manuel

You sure? Heavens-Above gives me no visible passing tonight - and I'm only in the Midlands ...

Edit: scratch that, I wasn't logged in :o

Here's hoping ...

Hey there-just checked it again there now and it's giving me this

5 Jul -2.3 23:46:2810W 23:48:5625SSW23:50:1817SSE

Nice clear night here for it too...

:D Sorry Manuel-more crossed wires....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

fifilarue wrote: »
    I must be getting my wires crossed here-heavensabove is giving me a time of 23.43 for tonight.

Yeah I have 23:46:50 for a mag of -2.1 also , but I also got that other reading for 22:11 , anyway I didn't see anything :mad:

Advertisement