Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISS space station

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Looking like tomorrow nights pass will be the last decent one for this spell. It'll still be visible but it's starting to fade now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Jezz I better get in there..haven't see it in yonks.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 willier

Saw it last night at 23:46. Quiet impressive! I doubt I'll see it tonight as the weather forecast isn't great for the western half of the country at least. Probably a better chance of seeing it on the East coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Hey All!

May I please ask if anyone knows how high in the sky it'll pass, and if it will be south or north (I presume it travels E->W?).

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Hey All!

May I please ask if anyone knows how high in the sky it'll pass, and if it will be south or north (I presume it travels E->W?).

Thanks!

22.37 tonight. It will 'rise' in the West and move East/South East. You'll want to be looking South. You'll see it come up from your right and move across the sky and drop down to your left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Joker.

Just seen it pass over , it was coooollllllll !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Drake66

I saw it tonight in Dublin and it looked quite spectacular. Is it possible to see more detail of it with binos or would you need something more substantial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

This section of heavens above gives the the timings of all pass's over Ireland and the UK including daytime ones.

http://www.heavens-above.com/AllPass1Sat.asp?satid=25544&lat=53.29149&lng=-6.37379&loc=Unspecified&alt=0&tz=GMT

It is possible to view these from Camera's onboard the ISS via a NASA link.To some extent it is pot luck if TV signals are being received but usually once the ISS is over the Atlantic there is excellant coverage.
    A few times i have clicked on the link and just watched the Earth go by for an entire 45 minutes of its Orbital daytime{it has 16 sunrises and sunsets per day!}
    It beats the hell out of Navel gazing or Yoga in My experiance!:)

The NASA Link at the end of this post does not just cover when there is a live feed over our part of the World though,it can be anywhere over Our planet and is as close as anyone except Astronauts can view the Earth from the ISS.

For people who know their Geography and can recognise one Country from another it is a dream come through.

For Geography Teachers it is a fantastic resource to have during class to blow away the cobwebs of Maps etc as they can Liven up teaching with real time views of the World without boring dreary Maps!

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

That link above always seems to go to the NASA TV channel,but to the right You can see Live Space Station video,a click on it will 'change the channel,and if using Internet Explorer 8 as Your browser You may have to click on the compatibilty view button if it is on the section that starts with the House(Homepage) symbol,If it is not there You will find it from the dropdown menu under 'Tools'

====================================================================================================================
    From NASA
    Live Space Station Video includes internal views from cameras in the International Space Station’s Destiny Laboratory and Harmony module when the resident astronauts are on duty. Earth views from external cameras on the station’s structure will be available during crew off-duty periods.

The video will be accompanied by live audio of conversations between the crew and the Mission Control network. When the space shuttle is docked to the station, the stream will include video and audio of those activities.

Television from the station is available only when the complex is in contact with the ground through its high-speed communications antenna and NASA's Tracking and Data Relay Satellite System. During "loss of signal" periods, Internet viewers may see a test pattern or a graphical world map that depicts the station’s location in orbit above the Earth using real-time telemetry sent to Mission Control from the station.

Since the station orbits the Earth once every 90 minutes, it sees a sunrise or a sunset every 45 minutes. When the station is in darkness, external camera video may appear black, but also may provide spectacular views of city lights below.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Drake66 wrote: »
    I saw it tonight in Dublin and it looked quite spectacular. Is it possible to see more detail of it with binos or would you need something more substantial?
    No not a chance, binos will not show any detail beyond what your eyes can see.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

ISS Commander Responds To Love Letter From Earth
    iss-commander-russia-alexander-skvortsov-lg.jpg
    International Space Station (ISS) Commander Alexander Skvortsov. Photo courtesy RIA Novosti.by Staff Writers
    Moscow, Russia (RIA Novosti) Jul 29, 2010
    (ISS) Commander Alexander Skvortsov responded to a love letter he received in space from a 17-year-old girl from Moscow.

The young girl sent a letter to the 44-year-old cosmonaut under the ISS mailbox campaign. With permission from the girl, her parents and Skvortsov himself, RIA Novosti has published parts of the cosmonaut's reply.
    "Of course, I am flattered, as every normal man would be; however, I became a bit confused when I received a letter from a 17-year-old girl. I realize that it is ok to have a crush on famous people at [her] age, but I never expected to become an object of the girl's affectation, so much the more I have a daughter at almost this age," Skvortsov wrote.
    "Although, if speaking seriously, I believe the girl's enthusiastic attitude is concerned with space rather than with me personally," the cosmonaut said.
    The young Muscovite, who fell in love with Skvortsov, attended his launch into space. "Even adults cry when they see [carrier] rockets soar up into the sky. And here's a young girl, a , a launch, a huge crowd of people, the crew in spotlight... Her admiration was inexpressible. In this situation her [love of] choice was made just by chance," Skvortsov wrote.
    "I am happy that an Astronaut has become the girl's superhero, I mean the profession as a whole, not me in particular," he wrote.
    If young people show interest in space now, mankind will probably continue exploring the Universe throughout the years, the cosmonaut wrote. "And maybe some day will go far beyond." However, the cosmonaut did not give the girl his personal e-mail or ICQ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Cool pic :) I must rememeber to look tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,212 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

more long exposure than time lapse (i.e.jerky video) :)

Saw it passover one and a half times tonight, very bright

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Had a pretty awesome looking -3.5 last night. It also didn't dip back beneath the horizon, it fell into earth's shadow so vanished quite suddenly.

Zillah wrote: »
    Had a pretty awesome looking -3.5 last night. It also didn't dip back beneath the horizon, it fell into earth's shadow so vanished quite suddenly.

Yeah did that on the second flyover tonight, was expecting it and trying to see how long I could make it out, but after 15 seconds gone completly

Looks a bit too cloudy tonight but will be passing over between 9.29-9.35pm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

What direction should I look?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Yeah just had a look but too cloudy here:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Was just outside having a cigarette when i saw a bright light moving across the sky, didn't have a clue what it was but I'm quite happy now that I saw the space station on complete chance, very little cloud cover here in Limerick, so it would of been perfect viewing for anyone who was expecting it! :)

bryaner wrote: »
    What direction should I look?

sorry would have been from the west

• Advertisement

Was just outside having a cigarette when i saw a bright light moving across the sky, didn't have a clue what it was but I'm quite happy now that I saw the space station on complete chance, very little cloud cover here in Limerick, so it would of been perfect viewing for anyone who was expecting it! :)
    Good stuff. You can see it again tomorrow night at about 21:58 for 3 minutes, Thursday at 20:51 for 4 minutes and again at 22:26 for 2 minutes. Friday at 21:18 for 4 minutes.
    Check here again for further times or here:
    http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

lovely bright pass over Cork.
    4946395620_6d9a60e732_z.jpg
    IMG_4400 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

deRanged wrote: »
    lovely bright pass over Cork.
    4946395620_6d9a60e732_z.jpg
    IMG_4400 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr
    Must try and get a shot of it myself some night:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

more long exposure than time lapse (i.e.jerky video) :)

Saw it passover one and a half times tonight, very bright

ammended. On Flickr anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

one of the best passes iv seen this year awsome:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Beeker wrote: »
    Good stuff. You can see it again tomorrow night at about 21:58 for 3 minutes, Thursday at 20:51 for 4 minutes and again at 22:26 for 2 minutes. Friday at 21:18 for 4 minutes.
    Check here again for further times or here:
    http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=Ireland

Cool! Chanced upon it tonight when I went out to put the dog in. 2 of the kids were out intrigued.. Will check it out again tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Just a few minutes and it's going over again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

and tonights pass:
    4951980117_3c6316ee35.jpg
    IMG_4410 by Brian Clayton, on Flickr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Saw it at 21:18 - 21:22, right on the money, and also got a shooting star near it early in the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭spatchco

was out for the second pass at 21.17 last night ,on time but approx 5 minutes before the iss passed there was what i though was another satalite pass on the same track west to east now it was traveling at the same speed and as bright,and yes i did see the metor , so is there other sats up traveling on the same path,,, i am in glasnevin

Advertisement