Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

apprentice carpenter

Options
  • 03-05-2010 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am wondering what the right age is for becoming an apprentice in carpentry? is the age range anything between the age of 16-25 and nothing over this?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

no never too old all u need is a minium of 5ds in junior cert or a fas eligibility exam if u dont have junior cert. most employers look for better now though. work could be your biggest problem at the moment. good luck with it tho

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ronboy

There was a guy in fas and he was 33 years old so I'd say you could be any age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

ronboy wrote: »
    There was a guy in fas and he was 33 years old so I'd say you could be any age.

are fas doing any courses at the moment? Thanks to you both for your replies so far. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

always do courses but apprenticeships are scarce now. best thing to do is call in and talk to someone in your local office. im just out of my time as an electrician so dont know the current set up etc

always do courses but apprenticeships are scarce now. best thing to do is call in and talk to someone in your local office. im just out of my time as an electrician so dont know the current set up etc

cheers, will do just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

i am an apprentice carpenter in cork and my fas advisor told me recently that they werent signing on new apprentices beacuse they cant fill classes.

cork2 wrote: »
    i am an apprentice carpenter in cork and my fas advisor told me recently that they werent signing on new apprentices beacuse they cant fill classes.

ah no way, is that just in the cork area or does the same applie to all around Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

Il give you the best advise mate.
    Number 1 no there is no age limit on apprenticeships
    number 2 Fas will "Always" sign apprenticeships as it is 3rd level education, if they cant fill a class then you may have to leave the county to do your 2nd 4th and sixth phases, they will fill the class between counties...FACT.
    number 3 Dont go for an apprenticeship now mate you may get a few months outta someone but in the present climate it could tke 6 or seven years to complete. trust me if you really want to get quailfied in my opinion you have two options, 1 Do an apprenticeship up the north because it doesnt take as long, or 2 wait another year or two and do something else till then......

Im a fully Qualified Carpenter in Dublin, Im doing it 9 years now and i lve in dublin. Theres not a bit of work. I offered to work for less than minimum wage and still not a single job. I apprenticeship lasted 6 years as fas are highly incompatant and the industry is corrupt.
    Sorry for the pessimistic outlook but it is the truth.

either way, good luck whatever you decide....you will need alot

• Registered Users Posts: 38 damone

this last post about complete incompetence and corruption is absolutely spot on ............unfortunately! ,i dont think either of us is trying to turn you off youre plans but ive been thru this farce of a system 10 years ago and from what ive heard its actually got worse! good luck in whatever you try !!!!

haha, thank you both for your optimistic replies :pac:

well I should never shun good advice thats for sure.

I suppose I'll wait and see what happens in 2 years time, its understandable that with the current climate things are not gonna go my way

Thanks again people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭4davis7

the last two posts were really dissapointing (apart for OP's)
    im still in school tho so maybe it will have picked up a bit by the time im finished i really wanted to do an apprenticeship in carpentry !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭tiocimarla

4davis7 wrote: »
    the last two posts were really dissapointing (apart for OP's)
    im still in school tho so maybe it will have picked up a bit by the time im finished i really wanted to do an apprenticeship in carpentry !!
    Stay in school mate... at least you will have something to fall back on..Do your leaving cert and start app after. trust me

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

As my father said what the f do you what to leave school and spend the rest of your life working in the pissing rain at your age {16} .
    16 years at carpentry now 10 years of that subcontracting for builders and yes i love it .
    Best thing was that i done the leaving cert and on the next day i started my apprenship and i was so happy .
    The thing is your older and more mature . Carpentry isnt for everybody is hard work and graft and you"ll work in all conditions .
    My advice is do the leaving cert ,
    Pass it .
    Go working as a labour for a building frim for 12months .
    Then if you think your able for hard work and like it go for it .
    The reason to go labouring is that you will get a feel for working on a building site and get used of the differnet terms . As well the moneys better ,
    Like it or love it you will be on **** money for 4 years .
    If you still want to start your Carpentry app the fined a repitable carpentry contracter the does all aspects of carpentry , joisting ,roofing , 1st &2nd fixing ,slating and tileing , reforbs , large site s small sites .
    And has a good rep around the town ,
    You must be well compedent at all the above cause work will be thin on the ground for the next few years .
    Last thing if you love the type of work when your working hard on a wet cold winters day than its for you .
    {Fined a job you love and you"ll never have to work again}
    That an old saying :o
    The very best of luck :D
    Teepee .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Onesimus wrote: »
    Hi, I am wondering what the right age is for becoming an apprentice in carpentry? is the age range anything between the age of 16-25 and nothing over this?

Thank you

What appeals to you about working with wood.

There are many variations of woodcraft, besides carpentry. Cabinet making, furniture making, Joinery, design ect. Letterfrack is always an option for an aspiring woodworker. Shortlist al the things about woodwork that appeals to you. Then research each variation of the collective woodcrafts, and pick the one that ticks the boxes.

kadman

kadman wrote: »
    What appeals to you about working with wood.

There are many variations of woodcraft, besides carpentry. Cabinet making, furniture making, Joinery, design ect. Letterfrack is always an option for an aspiring woodworker. Shortlist al the things about woodwork that appeals to you. Then research each variation of the collective woodcrafts, and pick the one that ticks the boxes.

kadman

I would like to get right into Cabinet making, furniture making and joinery.

I will give Letterfrack a good looking into, and will follow the advice you gave about doing some research.

Thanks everyone for your replies so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kitchen Expert

Hi Onesimus,

I think kadman is right. You should definitely look into Letterfrack. I know a guy who studied there and he got a great education in both joinery and design. It has a good reputation.

I am a little biased because I have been involved in the kitchen business for quite some time, but I think cabinet making is a good choice. If you work in the kitchen game you will get to use both the cabinet making/joinery skills and the design skills. You can also make one off furniture pieces with your skills which would be very rewarding.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 giggles555

If its carpentry you wana do go for it... i didnt start till i was 29 and should of qualified may of this year but still have 85 weeks to clock up to get the FAS papers to say im a chippie...
    if you want to leave this country the papers are a great help in getting you legally into another country... but FAS are usless... they really are
    at the end of the day if you can do carpentry you can do it and no piece of paper can take that away from you.
    but defo get your leaving cert... just incase... a safety net... also while you are thinkin it over... get a tenon saw and a set of chiesls... then some timber and start in your garage making joints and wee projects.
    get interwebin and find some joinery projects you like and start putin a hour in the evening or a few hours on a saturday into it... you will find that if you are into it you'll spend alot of time working on and improving you skills...

i have no job and still stuck tryin to finish my app' so in the last of my fas training phase 6 i saved money to build a workshop which i am plannin now...
    and i intend to do just as i said to you... start making stuff i need meself and then projects and things i could sell... presents for family and friends

if you start in you garage making things and like it you will progress fast and by the time you find a employer to take you on as a app' you will be already developing as a joiner/carpenter

best of luck anyways and remember dont piss your money against a wall after drinking it all... buy yourself tools of your trade... the more tools you have the greater your potential to earn money... and the more you will be able to make in your garage/workshop

Advertisement