Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Construction Practical Test

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

it was pretty hard but if you sit down and mark all your pieces out and figure out what goes where it's not too bad

just remember you have to cut some pieces before starting to put joints in them, that nearly fecked me up

do the dovetail in the middle first because if you try to rush this at the end it'll be messy... it's hard when you look at it first and the drawings are tricky to read but when you know what goes where and you mark all joints out clearly before starting to even think about cutting it'll work out not to bad..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

Oh yeah...A lot of the pieces need to be cut before you mark them out.

Did ye get the cutting list before doing the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 mellowmeg

if any one has any more info on it please post it,cos i think ill just cry 4 the 4 hrs! im f***ed!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mylescullen

do u have to drill for the dowel at an angle then? :(

do u have to drill for the dowel at an angle then? :(

No...The piece of wood that the dowel goes into is screwed in and can be turned around to face the dowel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

It is hard... I would really recommend doing part B first because if your like me trying to finish under pressure then your going to make a sloppy job of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

aw i really am dead for it..anyone wana go in & do mine for me?!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

I'd love to, i'd then have an idea what to do for mine :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mylescullen

any last minute tips anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭frankymail

Mark it all out first.

After you adjust a marking gauge don't change it.

Keep marking along your face side and face edges don't vary it.

If you can mark out one part of a joint and can't figure out how to do the joining piece use the first piece as a stencil type thing.

I haven't done it yet but we've been practising for weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Crow92 wrote: »
    I'd love to, i'd then have an idea what to do for mine :P

Sweet, it's in tha mornin..best of luck!:p

can anyone explane the middle vertical peice ,the one with a dovetail?

and the bottom horozontal peice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

Doing this in the morning, 4 hours and the school expects us to go to classes after! Yeah, good luck getting me to do any work after this inevitable traumatic experience.

Ah Shíte lads..

I was in construction today and saw loads of this years practical papers lying around..I was gonna take one and post it up here but thought everyone might have it done by now! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cantyisking

did it today. It was ridiciously harder than any other previous year...seriously what were the smoking when the came up with that idea?! I was happy enough with what i did all the same.

Advertisement