Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research on drinking while walking

Options
  • 03-05-2010 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Can't help you with the crest thing, but I do have a question, and need someone from Donegal to answer it, I think. I'm an author, and have written a series called "The MacDara Chronicles." In Book 4 (not yet published so I can still edit), the main character goes back to his native Donegal in present-day (he was born in 527 AD so things are a bit different now - long story...literally...bad pun, sorry). Anyhow, I need someone to tell me how a person would give walking directions from the Diamond to Heron's Cove near the Creevy Pier, using pints as the measurement of distance. I approximated, but it looks odd. I think I over-estimated how long it would take to down a pint while walking. Or something like that. Can you help? I'm somewhat desperate. Thanks. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Morva wrote: »
    Can't help you with the crest thing, but I do have a question, and need someone from Donegal to answer it, I think. I'm an author, and have written a series called "The MacDara Chronicles." In Book 4 (not yet published so I can still edit), the main character goes back to his native Donegal in present-day (he was born in 527 AD so things are a bit different now - long story...literally...bad pun, sorry). Anyhow, I need someone to tell me how a person would give walking directions from the Diamond to Heron's Cove near the Creevy Pier, using pints as the measurement of distance. I approximated, but it looks odd. I think I over-estimated how long it would take to down a pint while walking. Or something like that. Can you help? I'm somewhat desperate. Thanks. :D

Seriously what???????

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Morva wrote: »

OK,
    Lets assume you drink a pint in 30mins

Distance from the Diamond to Creevy pier is approx 17 miles. Lets say you walk at a speed of 4mph. It therefore takes 4.25 hrs to walk 17 miles.

So, thats 10 pints!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I'd suggest the distance travelled is proportional to the pints consumed!
    17 miles while sober, but after 7 pints, I'd probably be a bit wobbley, I could be walking just as fast, but forward movement would suffer. At 10 pints, it'd be a very merry dance, and I'd be needing a pee stop every 15 minutes! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This deserves a thread of it's own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

I think some more information is required. The acquisition of the pints for example, is this middle ages pedestrian carrying all the pints from the start of the journey or is he being tended to by a young Mr. Brogan in an earlier incarnation of the bog hotel, the traveling tavern perhaps?

• Advertisement

If anyone's buying then Im up for a test run walk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

muffler wrote: »

next donegal boards beers?

danniemcq wrote: »
    next donegal boards beers?
    I can see it alright - beer by torchlight :D

Id be worried about the wild animals though ;)

funny_590.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭mamakevf

muffler wrote: »
    Stagger:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

On reading the opening post the interest of the office here was tweaked and it was decided to put this into practice and see how this reporter with many years experience would get on with this rather unusual .... assignment.

Hmnmm.. where to start.. well I think the last public house leaving The Diamond would be best so into Doms pier 1 we go. Now not being too good handling a tray it is decided that maybe pint bottles should be the way to go and since the only ones present are that lovely brew from down Tipperary way ( a long, long way) it was decided that the purchase of 6 pint bottles of the fizzy apple stuff was required. Oh and since ya really cant be cheeky and just walk in and leave again of course one pint of Arthur was also required. Clink clink clink.. slurrp slurp clink I head for the door.

Now the first bottle goes down rather easy.. pffft this should be easy i think.. not a bother says I to myself as i deposit the first empty bottle in the ditch near the Craft village on the road outta town.

Quickly reaching for the heavy duty corkscrew (thank you Grants of Ireland for your sponsorship) the second bottle is slurped down and finished maybe a little too quick as I reach that fancy new kitchen place. Weird building.. wonder if its really a kitchen place or is it a secret arms factory. Yikes strange thoughts from this Bulmers stuff.

On the rather long straight between there and Tullyearl roundabout bottles 3 and 4 seem to evaporate down the throat rather quickly.. pace yerself says I. A nod and salute to the donkeys in the field to my left may be the beginnings of the dreaded beast that is cider kicking in. Ever noticed how strange looking donkies ears are? hmmm.

As i open bottle number 5 at the roundabout I consciously decide to slow down. And then it happens.. oh oh... loo time. Oh god if it starts now it will never stop. Dam not a secluded spot in sight to a 'wee' break. Ah hold on.. ther's a wee shed like thing in the field next to the roundabout just on the hill.. that will do.. and it did.

Now this is where timing got kinda wrong and caused a speed of intake increase again. Bottle 5 was finished beside yon house that sells them sheepskin rugs on the fence and pint bottle 6 was opened.. this meant having to drink it rather quick as i approached Kees Service Station where the next wee break was to take place. After pausing to chat with the goats in the field next to the Pantry (this talking to animals bit is getting a bit obvious by now. Though in the past I have talked to some right dogs on previous drinking excursions.)

Into Laghey village now.. hear they had a great Blast here last week. And into Carolans for my next purchase. Think I had better stick to the ole cider now.. nothing added but time. Why in the loo I am at the head resting on the white wall tiles stage (ye all know that stage).. better get back out into the fresh air before this task overtakes me. Off we go !

With pints 7-12 in tow its onward. On the grounds that walking in a straight line is now becoming a bit difficult the main road is chosen. the back road to Ballintra lacks distance between the hedges and besides I would encounter way to many animals who wanted a chat and might never get to my final destination at Herons Cove. Those Frisians and such gossips once they get started !

Hey come on now.. who called the one mile straight the one mile straight when its so obviously longer than that and obviously not straight. Well ok it wobbled a wee bit. Good thing about it is that for wee breaks you can see cars coming for miles.. though I kinda shoulda been on the look out for Feda O'Donnells bus too I guess. That old lady 5 seats from the front who was looking out the window as i turned to check wind direction may never be the same again.

NOw I have to admit that the counting process because rather amiss at this stage but needless to say pints 7, 8, 9 and 10 all were consumed before reaching the turn off for Ballintra. Pints 11 and 12 met with a very unworthy end. That road into Ballintra is really a footpath I think.. wayyy too narrow..as I dodged a aged hooligan in a green Suzuki who clearly swerved to avoid be i The ditch jumped out and clobbered me and pints 11 and 12 hit the deck and exploded. After several minutes shouting at the ditch and questioning its parentage I stumble to Jamesies Bar to replenish my stocks (The stumbling is due to my attack by the ditch and nothing else I assure myself)

It is at this stage that the apple clouded Sat Nav comes into its own. Ah yes me thinks the best way now would be to get some sea type air and stay off the main road (Feda may have sent out garda scouts to flash me with their badges and they would not belive my tale of wind dorection and a human weather vane.) Back out to the main road sipping pint 11 and munching on a Wispa Bar.. and after carefully checking for traffic ( and singing the Safe Cross Code song at least half a dozen times) its down the Rossnowlagh Road I go.. next stop Smugglers Creek Inn.

As pints 11, 12 and 13 ebb away I only then realise to my surprise that Rossnowlagh has a different vehicle registration system than the rest of the county. It seems that the local reg is DNZ, TUI. GLZ etc.. wierd I thought thet were reeserved for Norn Iron cars. The cows here have great rhythm too. They wag their tales exactly in time to The Safe Cross code song.. why am i still singing that?

"The road is lonnnng , with many a winding turn that leads us to god knows where, god knows when..." I wish I knew more words to that song than those but.. singing it several hundred times at this stage seems a good idea. Jesus !! Patsy Lallys dogs seem even bigger when your on your 14th pint. God they are HUGE !!

I guess seeing signs for a Friary on bottle 14 wasn't really a good idea cause at that stage i thought it was a place that served breakfast but i took a wrong turn anyway and ended up at Smugglers for my last stock top up of my trip. What a lovely lovely place.. and OMG the barman was excellent ;). Such a handsome chap and so well mannered. Oh dear.. no pint bottles of cider though. This could be a problem.

Aha they have something called WKD Apple Core Cider in pint bottles.. that will do. (believe me that is only a decision that should be made after 14 pints of Bulmers).

After a very interesting chat with 2 horses from a horse farm in Cliffoney Co. Sligo its off on the last leg of my epic road trip. Isn't amazing how a T junction becomes so confusing after 15 pints... left.. no right.. no left and then after 5 minutes you notice there is in fact a signpost. Must have just appeared. OK so its right I go.

Obviously the ditch in Ballintra had a word with his cousin 'The Shuck' from Rossnowlagh cause 3 times it swallowed me up on the last leg of my trip. Jaysus must have been full of really foul water cause i smell like.. well you know. So bottle 15, 16 and 17 are polished off just as I stumble into the car park of Herons Cove.. having missed the last 2 wee breaks due to heavy traffic and being afraid of another attack by The Shuck i don't really smell or look the best.

Fair play to the very nice manager at Herons Cove, Mr. Gerard Boyle for letting me lay in the field next to his car-park for several hours. He even offered to get a guard to look after me.. or something like that. I must say the moving car-park at Herons Cove is an amazing feat of engineering and as to how he got the entire building to move like that I will never know.

Anyway to answer the open posters question... the answewr to how many pints is.. as you originally guessed .... 17 !

The things we reporters must do for our wage.

D.P 6th may 2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 FJFF

A truly entertaining story, thumbs up!

Advertisement