Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying chainsaw for the first time

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭padunne

Hey guys.
    What would ye recommend for approx 400 euro and for a fair amount of use. I got a b and q one before and believe me i learnt my lesson. Chain came off one day as the bolts holding the bar was plastic and melted and loosened. Had it for two months and it was a nightmare. Also is there anywhere that do courses on use or ticketing or whatever.
    Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭TM RACING

I use nothing but stihl. I have a 036, 440, 441 ,660 and 880. If you intend on giving the saw a fair bit of use don't look at anything else. ( The Huskies are second best in my opinion)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Husky is a faster rpm as you would know it would cut faster as where sthil has slower rpm but last longer the old ms260 were a lovely balanced saw as well as the ms 270 now great little saw 13" bar is plenty it cuts 26" round and has less of a kick back than a bigger bar not to say that its not dangerous either .good luck with either.

padunne wrote: »
    Hey guys.
    What would ye recommend for approx 400 euro and for a fair amount of use. I got a b and q one before and believe me i learnt my lesson. Chain came off one day as the bolts holding the bar was plastic and melted and loosened. Had it for two months and it was a nightmare. Also is there anywhere that do courses on use or ticketing or whatever.
    Cheers

yep if your in around dublin wicklow area thers a lad called kiven birchal i can pm you his number if you want he is a very good instructor and knows his stuff if you are in the north west ,north west forest services or in the north grame bain or rob gibbs do you want any in england and scotland .

Thanks. Will look at the north services one and see what the story is.

• Advertisement

padunne if you want i can get there numbers and send them on to you i have worked with all of them at some point or the other;)they are all 100% and as far as i know they do work with each ,if you tell me what county you are in i could put you on to the nearst instructor if you want.good luck .

Cheers. im from west galway side. busy looking for a car at the min so id say itll be sept before i can do any course or anything. if ya pm me the numbers it would be a great help. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭hammer73

.17hmr wrote: »
    if you tell me what county you are in i could put you on to the nearst instructor if you want.good luck .

any ideas of who to get in touch with in Louth or Meath for chainsaw training?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Hey, can anyone advise me on which chainsaw to buy. Complete newbie to this. I have 10-15 trees to cut down, wouldn't have much use for the chainsaw after those are chopped up. Maybe just a bit of strimming branches every now and again. What cc would I need for this job, and how do I know what size blade I need? Is it calculated from the radius or diameter of the tree?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hey, can anyone advise me on which chainsaw to buy. Complete newbie to this. I have 10-15 trees to cut down, wouldn't have much use for the chainsaw after those are chopped up. Maybe just a bit of strimming branches every now and again. What cc would I need for this job, and how do I know what size blade I need? Is it calculated from the radius or diameter of the tree?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

If you are competely new to chainsaws and tree felling, then my advice is to hire a qualified tree surgeon to do the job.
    Tree felling is inherently dangerous as are chainsaws, the chance of you being seriously injured or worse is high.
    Have you got suitable equipment for operating the saw? pants? gloves and helmet?
    Do you know about kickback and what parts of the bar are the most likely to cause it?
    If you answer no to any of those questions, hire a professional, it won't cost an arm and a leg;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement