Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy(ish) Classical Style Guitar Pieces?

• 04-05-2010 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭

Hey, so I'm trying to branch out in terms of my technique and styles of playing. So I'm looking for some suggestions for beginner level classical (finger style) pieces of music. If you could include a link to a tab that would be a help but it's not really necessary. To give you an idea where I'm at, so far I've learned "Romanza" without much trouble, and am in the process of learning "Canon in D(C?) Major" which I am finding a little difficult. I gave "Classical Gas" a shot and was pretty frustrated. Any other ideas? Nothing too tricky, I'm a total beginner in terms of playing without a pick in my hand. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

You might try Bourée in E minor by that Bach lad. Fairly easy for the beginner to get a start on and very rewarding when you get it to the intended tempo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

strobe wrote: »
    Hey, so I'm trying to branch out in terms of my technique and styles of playing. So I'm looking for some suggestions for beginner level classical (finger style) pieces of music. If you could include a link to a tab that would be a help but it's not really necessary. To give you an idea where I'm at, so far I've learned "Romanza" without much trouble, and am in the process of learning "Canon in D(C?) Major" which I am finding a little difficult. I gave "Classical Gas" a shot and was pretty frustrated. Any other ideas? Nothing too tricky, I'm a total beginner in terms of playing without a pick in my hand. Thanks.
    You might try Bourée in E minor by that Bach lad. Fairly easy for the beginner to get a start on and very rewarding when you get it to the intended tempo.

First off, anything by Bach is not for beginners. secondly that bouree is not a beginner piece in any sense. It's approachable from grade 3 onwards (it's a trinity college grade 5 piece btw). For complete noobs there are no interesting picies, only some studies and that. For just pass novice you might try the romantic minatures of Tarrega, namely - Adelita Lagrima. The latter is particulalrly doable. These are both open domain I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

If you want to get amazingly better fast forget an easy song, choose something that sounds impossible to you and spend a few months intensly learning it, it will serve you better then learning songs already in your grasp. Just some advice ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

Guitareaxe wrote: »
    If you want to get amazingly better fast forget an easy song, choose something that sounds impossible to you and spend a few months intensly learning it, it will serve you better then learning songs already in your grasp. Just some advice ;)

Nah, I don't like that way exactly... If you do that you'll just end up spending months learning every song. Try something just above what you think you are capable of and continually improving. Gives you a bigger repertoire and you learn better.

OP I'm doing literally the exact same thing. I just dove into classical gas. It can be frustrating but it'll eventually click. I just sat down for about two days straight and learned the thing. It's awkward at first because the movement of your right hand still doesn't feel natural but it'll click if you stick with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

OP I'm doing literally the exact same thing. I just dove into classical gas. It can be frustrating but it'll eventually click. I just sat down for about two days straight and learned the thing. It's awkward at first because the movement of your right hand still doesn't feel natural but it'll click if you stick with it!

I'm actually finding that aswell at the minute. I have had a badly twisted ankle and an empty house for the last 6 days so have been progressing pretty well with it. I'm actually happily surprised at how quickly my right hand is geting used to syncing up. Still very sloppy at full speed at the minute but getting better. I've found these video lessons a big help, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnAFXazFtaQ , they aren't perfect, the guy plays it slightly differently than Williams does, but only slightly and he explains things really well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

stevejazzx wrote: »
    For just pass novice you might try the romantic minatures of Tarrega, namely - Adelita Lagrima. The latter is particulalrly doable. These are both open domain I believe.

Cheers man. Absolutely love Lagrima, have done for years, never knew the name of the piece before.

Advertisement