Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Begging - RTE - Drivetime - 03 May 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

<Conspiracy Theory>
    Dublin is an overcrowded city. Dublin City Council hire these "bums" to discourage people from using the city to keep the population down
    </Conspiracy Theory>

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

<Conspiracy Theory>
    Dublin is an overcrowded city. Dublin City Council hire these "bums" to discourage people from using the city to keep the population down
    </Conspiracy Theory>

:rolleyes:
    take it here
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

<Conspiracy Theory>
    </Conspiracy Theory>
    <Conspiracy Theory>
    Luas have these "bums" employed to harass people into using prepaid smart cards rather than cash dispensing ticketing machines
    </Conspiracy Theory> :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

<Conspiracy Theory>
    Luas have these "bums" employed to harass people into using prepaid smart cards rather than cash dispensing ticketing machines
    </Conspiracy Theory> :p

why would they do that, its more revenue to them in dealing in cash rather than prepaid cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

why would they do that, its more revenue to them in dealing in cash rather than prepaid cards
    Cash more lucrative than electronic. That'd be a first?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

But more cost in the form of maintenance, tickets, cash processing, security, and the cost of the machines themselves.

Not at all, If that was the case TFL would not be promoting Oyster.

Transport companies will gain in the long run, less administration, less vandalism and maintenance on machines, less security and ticket sales staff required. also registered smart cards will save transport companies in the long run due to "track and trace" abilities on vandals and abusive passengers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I Run_to_da_hills means that if everyone has a smart card then the government can keep track on everyone's movements.

I don't really buy into this theory. I don't think they care about tracking everyone's movements and even if they did, I don't care myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Sorry, I don't 'see' what other posters are discussing. No conspiracies for me, sadly.

The man interviewed is more or less sober, depends on the stops, the 'couple' up at St Stephens Green are away with the fairies on various drugs and will often casually take your change out, without a care, from the slot. Do you really want to wrestle it back off someone that is covered in sores?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

The onus should be 'stuck' on Luas fairly and squarely to look after their customers, starting at the vending machines, how they achieve that shouldn't be the customer's problem. 'Duty of Care' !!!

• Advertisement

I always try and have exact change ready when buying tickets at Luas stops - at least that way they can't pester me for the change from the machine.

Even if I do get change from the machine, the junkies never get it.

The onus should be 'stuck' on Luas fairly and squarely to look after their customers, starting at the vending machines, how they achieve shouldn't be the customer's problem.

In my opinion, part of the blame lies with the people who give them money - it only encourages more begging. If nobody ever gave them money, they wouldn't beg.

But Luas/Veolia do need to provide more security at some particular stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Have had to get the Luas from Museum stop instead of Heuston on occasion as there'd be several junkies standing there with his hands in front of the machine when I'm trying to put money in. Annoying feckers. Though that was before I discovered that the bus was much less hassle.

I thought that there was supposed to be a new law passed against beggars hanging around shop fronts, cash dispensing machines (ATM, ticket machines) etc?

Is this not implemented yet?

Where is the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

are these the same guards that give second chances to drivers on Learners Permits that drive unaccompanied, an offence that carries a statutory MINIMUM of 1000Euro fine?

Then again, what would the homeless be punished with for begging?
    Put them in jail for a week, with fresh clothes, warm room with running water and hot nourishing meals for their stay?
    What a punishment for a homeless!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The Gardai have better things to be doing than arresting people for begging for a few cents,why dont Luas employ more of those giant robocop looking security guys to patrol the begging hotspots?

The Gardai have better things to be doing than arresting people for begging for a few cents,why dont Luas employ more of those giant robocop looking security guys to patrol the begging hotspots?

or go back to the old, tried, and tested system of a conductor and create employment opportunities in a country that's riddled with unemployment !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

or go back to the old, tried, and tested system of a conductor and create employment opportunities in a country that's riddled with unemployment !!!

Ah c'mon now,that would make too much sense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Why not use security? It's still jobs being created and the security have a better presence than a conductor.

Ah c'mon now,that would make too much sense!

All the robocops/conductors would need is a ticket machine and customary leather bag - problem solved. As an old schoolteacher of mine used to say 'Common sense ain't all that common'.:)

• Advertisement

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Why not use security? It's still jobs being created and the security have a better presence than a conductor.

That is how I think the term 'conductor' came about originally, so amalgamate the 2 functions, security and tickets. Why should a customer have to fumble about at a machine at all ? After all Luas want our money !!! Make the journeys customer enjoyable experiences !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Make the journeys customer enjoyable experiences !!!

I think they are. A conductor will not make me enjoy it more, possibly the opposite.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I think they are. A conductor will not make me enjoy it more, possibly the opposite.

Fair enough - a journey that starts off with a nasty experience at a ticket machine won't be pleasant though !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Fair enough - a journey that starts off with a nasty experience at a ticket machine won't be pleasant though !

Well I remember plenty of journies that began with a nasty experience with a conductor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

only problem with a conductor is that he/she would never be able to navigate the tram (inside) during rush hour..... people crammed in like sardines.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    only problem with a conductor is that he/she would never be able to navigate the tram (inside) during rush hour..... people crammed in like sardines.

That was also one of the duties of a conductor - to see that eg. a bus didn't become too crowded, which seems to be another issue which LUAS ignore. On double deck buses they ensured standing downstairs only and none upstairs. However its only a suggestion - the main issue is passenger harassment at ticket vending machines .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Why not have a system where small change\credit is reimbursed 'on the ticket', like CIE operate on their buses. So, the only thing that needs to be spat back at the traveller, is the ticket.

The cash can then be returned at a city center location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

Stark wrote: »
    Have had to get the Luas from Museum stop instead of Heuston on occasion as there'd be several junkies standing there with his hands in front of the machine when I'm trying to put money in. Annoying feckers. Though that was before I discovered that the bus was much less hassle.

I've seen the "giant robocop looking security guys" kicking (not literally) undesirables out of Heuston Station, and where do they leave them...? on the Luas platforms - obviously these are CIE robocops and their duty of care stops at the front door. Another sign of transport integration.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Amalgam wrote: »
    The cash can then be returned at a city center location.
    Why not deal with beggars yourself instead of imposing potentially unreasonable costs on people who don't have any issues with them?

city centre location? what about new passengers who's journeys will be entirely in one of the two "counties" of the southside? why should they go to the city?

Here's a thought. maybe if the rpa had got the finger out and not wasted millions of our money in not implementing the integrated ticketing scheme so you could pay by smartcard and actually save money and top up online or at an atm there'd be less coinage and less beggars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Could they have mini-ticket machines on the trams like in other countries? Always laugh when I see it, was firstly at the oddness of it, then became more aw-like at the ingenuiy behond it.

Advertisement