Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Based on my age-Dole??

Options
  • 04-05-2010 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Right,I don't know if this is in the right section,but I don't really care.Basically I am 19 years old,have been receiving dole since March,left school at the end of April last year and have failed to find work.Eventually I chose the last resort.I know that people aged 18-22 are now receiving €100 a week,but on the welfare site it states a few exceptions to these rules.

These include participating in educational courses,and claimants with dependants.

But it also says that IF YOU WERE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE ON OR BEFORE THE 30TH DECEMBER 2009,AND BECAME UNEMPLOYED ON OR BEFORE 28TH APRIL 2009-YOU SHOULD RECEIVE €196 EVERY WEEK NOT €100.

Now I was 18 then,and I left school on the 26th April 2009.What should I be receiving???I know I did not put in a claim then,but I was the age specified in the rules....
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭ondarack

call to your local office and explain your situation. i dont think you will get more than 100 though,i think that is the correct rate for someone your age,living at home etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Con1991

Yes well I intend to go in and discuss it with them,but after reading those rules on the website,I am amazed i am not receiving the correct rate now.Even living at home,there is not much you can do with €100 a week,trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Con1991 wrote: »
    Even living at home,there is not much you can do with €100 a week,trust me.

I live at home and wouldn't spend more than €100 a week, that's going out usually twice a week too. I'm 19, full time student and part time worker.

Well,I agree it is possible to go out the odd night,buy a few drinks9I actually don't drink myself)etc.But I also try to save,which is very difficult.I don't think since I started getting SW that I've ever spent the full amount in one week,but you have to watch that sort of money very carefully.I didn't know you could get SW as a student unless you were doing a Fas course or Youthreach.If it is possible,I may actually go back and do the Leaving cert.How do you go about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to State Benefits

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Right,I don't know if this is in the right section,but I don't really care.Basically I am 19 years old,have been receiving dole since March,left school at the end of April last year and have failed to find work.Eventually I chose the last resort.I know that people aged 18-22 are now receiving €100 a week,but on the welfare site it states a few exceptions to these rules.

These include participating in educational courses,and claimants with dependants.

But it also says that IF YOU WERE AT LEAST 18 YEARS OF AGE ON OR BEFORE THE 30TH DECEMBER 2009,AND BECAME UNEMPLOYED ON OR BEFORE 28TH APRIL 2009-YOU SHOULD RECEIVE €196 EVERY WEEK NOT €100.

Now I was 18 then,and I left school on the 26th April 2009.What should I be receiving???I know I did not put in a claim then,but I was the age specified in the rules....

It's likely that as you would not have been eligible for Jobseekers Allowance for three months after you left school, you would not have been viewed as unemployed until 26 July 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Well,I agree it is possible to go out the odd night,buy a few drinks9I actually don't drink myself)etc.But I also try to save,which is very difficult.

You're not on the dole to "save", you're on the dole to survive. You're not entitled to €196 a week because you didn't sign on until March this year.

To be frank, your attitude is one of massive self-entitlement. You quit school presumably without even sitting your leaving cert, making it extremely hard for yourself to find work, you're only 19 and you live at home so your overheads must be extremely low.

The higher rate of dole is for people who have actually been paying PRSI for an extended period of time and are old enough to have debts or a partner to support etc.

I am well aware that the dole is survival money,money to bridge the gap until we find employment.And I may be viewing it in the wrong way,but unfortunately it is the only source of 'income' I can get right now.I attempted the Leaving cert,but no I did not complete it,which I regret now but jobs are still hard to find.I've lost count of the number of jobs I've applied for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I am well aware that the dole is survival money,money to bridge the gap until we find employment.And I may be viewing it in the wrong way,but unfortunately it is the only source of 'income' I can get right now.I attempted the Leaving cert,but no I did not complete it,which I regret now but jobs are still hard to find.I've lost count of the number of jobs I've applied for.

Just remember one thing, it's not ok to make sacrifices and save your money, but it is ok to piss it up against the wall, or to spend on smokes, or whatever... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Jasonw

You know what? you should try being self-employed, contributing over €100,000 to the exchequer over the boom years and see how much you are entitled to when you can't find work.

FYI it's exactly NOTHING.

I've spent the last year living off my savings which are now just about gone. I'd be so lucky to be getting €100 a week.

• Advertisement

Jesus christ, the OP is looking for a bit of advice, who are ye to judge him exactly?

Op, somebody somewhere will have an answer for ya, just ignore the begrudgers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

eth0_ wrote: »
    You're not on the dole to "save", you're on the dole to survive. You're not entitled to €196 a week because you didn't sign on until March this year.

To be frank, your attitude is one of massive self-entitlement. You quit school presumably without even sitting your leaving cert, making it extremely hard for yourself to find work, you're only 19 and you live at home so your overheads must be extremely low.

The higher rate of dole is for people who have actually been paying PRSI for an extended period of time and are old enough to have debts or a partner to support etc.

Although you are a moderator I have to say thats a very shallow and self-serving view you have. What about my case, in 21, finished my leaving, finished 3 years in college and theres no work for me so I have to sign on. I have 38 PRSI contribution (1 less than required for JA) as I worked my ass of to put myself through school so i can only claim JB.

I lived off my savings since finishing college, not wanting to sponge off the govt but finally I had to give in. They told me my claim would take 5 weeks to process and the was 9 weeks ago, a quick call today confirmed that it would take another 3 weeks to get any money.

I may not be 'old' enough to have a family or debts, and no one can find work anywhere but are young people any less entitled to benefit than anyone else?

If you're living at home and are only 19 then your overheads are minute and I thought the OP had a cheek to think he could be considered a special case in order to get 196 a week.

And - declaration of interest here - I am also on the dole so i'm not looking down my nose at the unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Although you are a moderator

eth0_ is not a moderator in this forum - therefore there is exactly zero difference between eth0_ and any other poster.

Moderators only carry weight in the forums they moderate. Please check their list of forums before making such comments.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

OP you didn't register as unemployed with Social Welfare until March so therefore are not entitled to 196 a week. Your rate of pay will be 100 euro a week, minus any means.
    Also as someone else stated, you cannot claim until 3 months after finishing secondary school, so if you did claim at the time, that would only go from June 2009, which is past the April 2009 date.

Lads, word of warning to everyone, please keep posts on topic and helpful. Nobody comes here looking to be judged. If you have a problem with a post use the report post function.

dudara wrote: »
    eth0_ is not a moderator in this forum - therefore there is exactly zero difference between eth0_ and any other poster.

Moderators only carry weight in the forums they moderate. Please check their list of forums before making such comments.

dudara

With respect, this is a cop out. If someone, such as eth0_ posts on here with the word 'moderator' under his or her name, it does, for all intents and purposes, carry weight and is not only upsetting for those they slap down and those who view such postings but also reflects badly on all boards.ie moderators. Surely, it should not be the responsibility of users of the forum to check out the peramaters of the 'authority' of different moderators but up to boards.ie to tighten up the system whereby moderators can use such a title while posting in forums that they do not moderate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Although you are a moderator I have to say thats a very shallow and self-serving view you have. What about my case, in 21, finished my leaving, finished 3 years in college and theres no work for me so I have to sign on. I have 38 PRSI contribution (1 less than required for JA) as I worked my ass of to put myself through school so i can only claim JB.

I lived off my savings since finishing college, not wanting to sponge off the govt but finally I had to give in. They told me my claim would take 5 weeks to process and the was 9 weeks ago, a quick call today confirmed that it would take another 3 weeks to get any money.

I may not be 'old' enough to have a family or debts, and no one can find work anywhere but are young people any less entitled to benefit than anyone else?

your 21 , you have no ties , get up off your ass and find a job , its a big big WORLD out there ,this is a small corrupt little pond , dont be destroying your life waiting on handouts

Balagan wrote: »
    With respect, this is a cop out. If someone, such as eth0_ posts on here with the word 'moderator' under his or her name, it does, for all intents and purposes, carry weight and is not only upsetting for those they slap down and those who view such postings but also reflects badly on all boards.ie moderators. Surely, it should not be the responsibility of users of the forum to check out the peramaters of the 'authority' of different moderators but up to boards.ie to tighten up the system whereby moderators can use such a title while posting in forums that they do not moderate.

WRONG. The rules of boards.ie state that my views are my own and can only "carry weight" on the forums that I actually moderate.

Am I expected to never ever express my personal opinion anywhere on boards.ie because of the possibility I might offend you? :rolleyes:

And as for checking my 'authority' - is it too much effort for you to simply shift your eyes a few inches to the left to see that I moderate the mac and work & jobs forum and *not* the state benefits forum?

Now, you've dragged this thread off topic again and the OP's question has been answered several times. Time to drop it, methinks.

danbohan wrote: »
    your 21 , you have no ties , get up off your ass and find a job , its a big big WORLD out there ,this is a small corrupt little pond , dont be destroying your life waiting on handouts

In fairness, he has said he's applying for lots of jobs and having no luck. However, I hope he's at least giving himself a fighting chance by signing up to do a FAS course in order to make himself more attractive to prospective employers.

If only 450K other people thought same... :rolleyes:

What jobs are you talking about exactly?

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote: »
    WRONG. The rules of boards.ie state that my views are my own and can only "carry weight" on the forums that I actually moderate.

Am I expected to never ever express my personal opinion anywhere on boards.ie because of the possibility I might offend you? :rolleyes:

And as for checking my 'authority' - is it too much effort for you to simply shift your eyes a few inches to the left to see that I moderate the mac and work & jobs forum and *not* the state benefits forum?

Now, you've dragged this thread off topic again and the OP's question has been answered several times. Time to drop it, methinks.

You are expected to abide by the forum charter just like everyone else and you have certainly proved yourself, on more than one occasion, unable to do that. You'd have to be capable of moderating yourself before you could possibly moderate anyone else. Methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

If only 450K other people thought same... :rolleyes:

What jobs are you talking about exactly?

ok no jobs here , posibly ,maybe. , its a small island , 4 million peole , a tiny speck in terms of global population and opportunity , he is 21 ,no house no kids etc etc so go somewhere else where you can get a job , canada , germany ,singapore , australia , might not be great job but you will learn a lot , see new things , gain experience , none of which you will by staying here on benefit or a fas course

danbohan, that's easy to say but if he has no money how can he do that? I'm lucky i'm on JSB which I can transfer to any EU country for 3 months, so i'm doing that and moving to London at the end of the month because the job situation in my profession looks a lot better than it does here.

The OP must be on JSA so he doesn't have the option to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Balagan wrote: »
    You are expected to abide by the forum charter just like everyone else and you have certainly proved yourself, on more than one occasion, unable to do that. You'd have to be capable of moderating yourself before you could possibly moderate anyone else. Methinks.

You've been warned twice already about this, I suggest you stop posting on this thread right now if you can't stick to the topic at hand.

ok no jobs here , posibly ,maybe. , its a small island , 4 million peole , a tiny speck in terms of global population and opportunity , he is 21 ,no house no kids etc etc so go somewhere else where you can get a job , canada , germany ,singapore , australia , might not be great job but you will learn a lot , see new things , gain experience , none of which you will by staying here on benefit or a fas course

Not everybody can travel for whatever reasons, be it personality, finance or medical.

Also, there is a lot to be said for fas courses. Whatever your perception of them is.

Actually I registered back in August 2009.But it took them that long to actually process my claim.But it was after April 2009 and yes you do have to be out of school 3 months before signing on.So I understand now.I am registered with FAS,but the waiting lists are constantly holding me back.That is the only way to get full the amount for people my age.

That is the only way to get full the amount for people my age.

As far as I know, FAS will match Social Welfare. So you're not going to get the €196 off them (again, that's only as far as I know).

OP you'd be better off going Back to Education to get the leaving cert (I believe you said you don't have it?). That's what I'm doing (also 21) and I'm hoping that, even if I don't pass it when it's all said and done, it'll give me something to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Clown Shoes

Con, It´s a grim situation jobs wise but there are the usual menial jobs available like McDonald´s and Burger King. Now I know that you probably won´t even countenance that right now but please read on.

There´s a real chance right now that the ~100e you´re supported with may not be worth the paper its printed on this time next year. The currency is in real trouble and we could be using punts, pounds or who knows what for money. The unfortunate thing is that welfare recipients will get pasted if this happens, their payments will not increase in tandem with the real currency depreciation and value. Wage earners won´t either, but will see their earnings at least lag with inflation. Treat a job like an investment.You´ll be in a much stronger position.

Actually I registered back in August 2009.But it took them that long to actually process my claim.But it was after April 2009 and yes you do have to be out of school 3 months before signing on.So I understand now.I am registered with FAS,but the waiting lists are constantly holding me back.That is the only way to get full the amount for people my age.

If you haven't already, check this out about the Youthreach programmes. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/education/vocational-education-and-training/training-and-apprentiship-programmes/youthreach

It would give you a way to continue with your education and the allowance for someone your age would equal the full amount of Jobseekers Allowance. The courses run year round so you can apply to join a course at any time.

• Advertisement

As far as I know, FAS will match Social Welfare. So you're not going to get the €196 off them (again, that's only as far as I know).

Fas doesn't pay any allowance to new entrants who are not entitled to JB or JA, but the training allowance for someone over 18 who has that entitlement is the full €196.00 plus any add ons to which they are entitled.

Advertisement