Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Based on my age-Dole??

Options
2»

Comments

Balagan wrote: »
    Fas doesn't pay any allowance to new entrants who are not entitled to JB or JA, but the training allowance for someone over 18 who has that entitlement is the full €196.00 plus any add ons to which they are entitled.

Ah I see. Your're correct :)

There´s a real chance right now that the ~100e you´re supported with may not be worth the paper its printed on this time next year. The currency is in real trouble and we could be using punts, pounds or who knows what for money. The unfortunate thing is that welfare recipients will get pasted if this happens, their payments will not increase in tandem with the real currency depreciation and value. Wage earners won´t either, but will see their earnings at least lag with inflation. Treat a job like an investment.You´ll be in a much stronger position.

What an absolutely mental post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Con1991

No.It clearly states that one of the exceptions to the cut's for under 24's is those participating in a full time course of education(Fas,Youthreach,LTI etc).But things may now have changed.I think the idea is to make younger people go back to education,it is an incentive.

I can't begin to tell you the trouble I had trying to get in the door of my nearest Youthreach centre,Fr Mathew St Cork.The coordinator Des Cullinane,said to ring him back the first time I rang.I have been ringing for over a month now and I cannot get hold of him.Was told by Youthreach in Dean street I was pretty much 'too old' and they cater mainly for 16-17 year olds.Everywhere else is either too far away,or areas I would rather avoid.So that is why I am now looking at Fas ao BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Con1991 wrote: »
    No.It clearly states that one of the exceptions to the cut's for under 24's is those participating in a full time course of education(Fas,Youthreach,LTI etc).But things may now have changed.I think the idea is to make younger people go back to education,it is an incentive.

AFAIK you only get 196 per week on BTEA if you are doing a degree level course or a Hdip. Also, don't you have to be on JSB to be entitled to BTEA? You have to have enough PRSI stamps to be entitled to it.

eth0_ wrote: »
    AFAIK you only get 196 per week on BTEA if you are doing a degree level course or a Hdip. Also, don't you have to be on JSB to be entitled to BTEA? You have to have enough PRSI stamps to be entitled to it.

I'll be doing my Leaving Cert (hopefully) in the Louth VEC, and though I'm on JSA, I'll be paid €196 whilst I'm doing it.

Don't ow if they're operated any different though.

OP; If you plan to go back to education, try to do it this year. I love the Irish sense of entitlement, but I don't see the BTE allowance sticking around for too long. Not in it's current form anyway. I reckon it'll be severely reduced/cut in the 2010 budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

eth0_ wrote: »

You can even do second level on BTEA as long as you qualify and don't have to be on JSB.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW70/Pages/ABacktoEducationAllowanceBTEA.aspx

Con1991 wrote: »
    I can't begin to tell you the trouble I had trying to get in the door of my nearest Youthreach centre,Fr Mathew St Cork.The coordinator Des Cullinane,said to ring him back the first time I rang.I have been ringing for over a month now and I cannot get hold of him.Was told by Youthreach in Dean street I was pretty much 'too old' and they cater mainly for 16-17 year olds.Everywhere else is either too far away,or areas I would rather avoid.So that is why I am now looking at Fas ao BTEA.

You won't qualify for BTEA until you're 21. You are eligible for Youthreach as you are between 15 and 20. There is a great demand now, so you may have to go and make a polite nuisance of yourself at the office to show you are serious. Good luck with everything.

Well I did hear that,so why in god's name did the fool coordinator of Youthreach Dean Street Cork,tell me I'd be better of doing BTEA??Ideally the course I want is one that allows me to do an ordinary level Leaving cert,something i probably could do with my eyes closed,but I got too big for my boots and left making it even harder now.Oh,and I thought Youthreach was until 21 or 25??

It may be possible that what was mentioned to you was the Back to Education Initiative for which you would be eligible now

http://www.corkvec.ie/community_education/btei.shtml

but, unlike with Youthreach and Fas courses, your social welfare payment would remain at its present rate although course fees are waived for those on JSA.

With regard to age and Youthreach, to be eligible you have to be between 15 and 20 and I assume if you got at 19 they would allow you to finish your one or two year course, which seems the length of courses offered. You would need to check this.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭kellyj77

Hi

I have just been made redundant in my job. Its a funny situation. I amm 22 and have been working part time for the last 7 years. I was in school and then college. I finished a 4 year course 3 weeks ago and have been working full time since. Now as i said i have just been made redundant. Does anyone have any idea what i will be entitled to? I have a 7 month baby and a car by the way if that makess a difference. I just dont have a clue at the moment what my entitlements are as 100 a week will barely do me and the baby. Any help is appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 me8989

kellyj77 wrote: »
    Hi

I have just been made redundant in my job. Its a funny situation. I amm 22 and have been working part time for the last 7 years. I was in school and then college. I finished a 4 year course 3 weeks ago and have been working full time since. Now as i said i have just been made redundant. Does anyone have any idea what i will be entitled to? I have a 7 month baby and a car by the way if that makess a difference. I just dont have a clue at the moment what my entitlements are as 100 a week will barely do me and the baby. Any help is appreciated

Are you a single parent? If so you're entitled to lone parents allowance.
    You could apply for rent allowance too.
    check out, welfare.ie all the info is there. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭kellyj77

like im the dad...i live at home with my mum and brother. my brother is in college and unemployed and my mum works part time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 me8989

kellyj77 wrote: »
    like im the dad...i live at home with my mum and brother. my brother is in college and unemployed and my mum works part time

You should be entitled to JSA http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/social-welfare/social-welfare-payments/unemployed-people/jobseekers-allowance

Advertisement