Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco overcharging

Options
  • 04-05-2010 3:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭

Tesco overcharging policy. Was in Tesco today and seen they had 6pks of coke on offer, I bought a few of them and realised I was overcharged. Tesco have an offer if you are overcharged at the till you get the item free and get your money back, all I got was them honouring the advertised price even though i pointed out the sign. Anyone else ever have this problem? Just feel you shouldn't advertise it if your not gonna honour it.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

ya was after 12 so the girl at the till i said it to went down and actually hid the prices, i found them behind 2 litre coke's and then she got me a manager and then he told me i was lucky to be getting the partial refund cause in small writing it siad that the offer expired sunday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

ya was after 12 so the girl at the till i said it to went down and actually hid the prices, i found them behind 2 litre coke's and then she got me a manager and then he told me i was lucky to be getting the partial refund cause in small writing it siad that the offer expired sunday

Seems they were in the right in this case, the offer had expired and this was pointed out (even if it was in small writing tesco, much like the other big supermarkets, worked within the law).

You weren't overcharged, the computer automated pricing system simply returned the price to normal once the offer had expired, presumably after midnight on Sunday.

When I first read your post I thought the girl who hid the signs made a pretty underhanded move, now that you've clarified that the offer had expired it's more likely that she was just doing her job (or at least a job she may have meant to do minutes earlier, but you know the night shift in tesco is a bit of a skeleton crew)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

it is ALWAYS an OVERCHARGE if the till price exceeds the the display price

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Only if 70% of more of the item is displayed at the wrong price.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

• Advertisement

well they where at the end of the isle with a big sign 2 for €5. and shelves were full of drinks, now i dont know about ye but when ya see offers at end of isle's with bug signs advertisng them ya dont think to go looking for the the very small print to see if it is still within date. not only did i get oversharged tesco would be pretty busy imagine how many other people would of been over charged that day

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why would anyone shop in Tescos anymore anyway? Don't you know your actively funding pure evil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I'd want my money back tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Hold on.

The price you thought you were getting it for expired before you went to buy it?

Then how were you overcharged? We live in a small-print society. It's up to you to spot it.

kraggy wrote: »
    Hold on.

The price you thought you were getting it for expired before you went to buy it?

Then how were you overcharged? We live in a small-print society. It's up to you to spot it.

if somebody advertises but 1 get 1 free or 2 items for a certain amount that is what you expect to get. Supermarkets offer these promotions as impulse buys and a reason for you to come back to there store. the reason i put them in my trolley as i thought i was getting the special offer, i wouldnt of bought them at the regular price as im sure majority of people wouldnt of that day. now where not talking about 1 little sticker, there was 2 big signs and 4 stickers advertising this offer on the end of the isle so there for it should be the price coming up at the till.

if tesco prides itself on the fact that in the slight chance u get overcharged they give u the item free then i feel they should honour it. whats the point of having that advertised round every one of its stores if its not true. just think its bad customer service of such a big company.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

But was there actual small writing on these signs displaying the date that the offer finished?

if somebody advertises but 1 get 1 free or 2 items for a certain amount that is what you expect to get. Supermarkets offer these promotions as impulse buys and a reason for you to come back to there store. the reason i put them in my trolley as i thought i was getting the special offer, i wouldnt of bought them at the regular price as im sure majority of people wouldnt of that day. now where not talking about 1 little sticker, there was 2 big signs and 4 stickers advertising this offer on the end of the isle so there for it should be the price coming up at the till.

if tesco prides itself on the fact that in the slight chance u get overcharged they give u the item free then i feel they should honour it. whats the point of having that advertised round every one of its stores if its not true. just think its bad customer service of such a big company.
    Really it was a bit lazy on they're part, they didn't take down the signs, I doubt the manager cares if they make one or two extra sales based on inaccurate information. The hassle that comes along with these kind of things just wouldn't make it worth it.

You got the price advertised though so really the manager did take your side and give you a better price even though he didn't have to. I love bashing Tescos as much if not more so than the next guy but this is a fairly minor problem take a deep breath, make yourself a black Russian and if your still angry after all that at least go down when your good and drunk so you can make a real good scene.

there was a date on 1of the signs but its up to the supermarket to take it down when its not in date, it was just the fact i was over charged and had to argue with them to even get it for the advertised price, especially when they have a no quibble guarantee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

On an unrelated note I have noticed they are putting up prices on some products like Grapes and the two Tesco Value Chicken breasts.

Shouldn't you be able to get the item free if they overcharge you?

dmcg90 wrote: »
    On an unrelated note I have noticed they are putting up prices on some products like Grapes and the two Tesco Value Chicken breasts.

Shouldn't you be able to get the item free if they overcharge you?

yoir meant to, but they wouldnt so i find it a bit bad

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

you werent "overcharged", the offer had ended, therefore u were not entitled to the no quibble guarantee.

I presume you got offered a refund or the items at the price displayed (2 for a fiver)

get over it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Sponge Bob wrote: »

It's not if it's a genuine mistake.

You have to be careful in Tesco, always read the signs!

It's not if it's a genuine mistake.

You have to be careful in Tesco, always read the signs!
    If it's genuine or not a mistake is a mistake, it's the shops responsibility to do something about it seeing as they have these no quibble guarantees.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway->Consumer Issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

i dont know about ye but when ya see offers at end of isle's with bug signs advertisng them ya dont think to go looking for the the very small print to see if it is still within date
    I always check the small print on all offers. I strongly recommend you and others do the same or you are going to get in proper financial trouble at some stage. Next time you might not be so lucky. The small print marketing men must be rubbing their hands with glee when they hear of suckers ignoring stuff like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You should have go the over charge in my opinion, a full refund and you get to keep the items you originally bought.

The sign should have been taken down before 6am Monday but it wasn't, you bought your coke on Tuesday. I would have given you the refund!

The odd time I visit Super Value is on a sunday when their offers seem to end on a Sat night, and though they no longer work all the signs are left up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Tesco have an offer if you are overcharged at the till you get the item free and get your money back

As far as I know, it is only Superquinn that have that policy. I've brought a couple of mispriced things (over the last few years) up the the service desk in SQ and got the item for free. My local Tesco opened a year ago. I use it about once a week (for a minor shop) and have had to go back with mispriced items 6(!) times already. Each time they apathetically call the manager who refunds the difference in price only.

Buy Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eightyfish wrote: »
    As far as I know, it is only Superquinn that have that policy.

Nope.
    No Quibble Policy

Our "No Quibble Policy" is our way of showing customers that we always charge the right prices in our stores. It states that: "in the unlikely event of you being charged a price at the checkouts that is higher that the price mounted on the display, we will give you that item absolutely free and without quibble".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

jor el wrote: »

Thanks. Staff don't have a clue about that, then. I will bear it in mind next time I'm overcharged!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

rubadub wrote: »
    I always check the small print on all offers. I strongly recommend you and others do the same or you are going to get in proper financial trouble at some stage. Next time you might not be so lucky. The small print marketing men must be rubbing their hands with glee when they hear of suckers ignoring stuff like this.

Tesco need to read the small print. Their offer is that the price that is displayed is the price you pay or else you get the item free. That offer is made by them - nothing to do with the law or consumer rights : it's their own offer.

I particularly pay attention to offers with expiry dates - nice to play them at their own game. If they are so disorganised that they can't keep up to date then that's their problem.

exactly, i only want to avail of what they offer. when i was arguing with the manager i pointed out the no quibble sign and he ignored it.

i would of been happy with price advertised but i had the inconvience of having to argue for the advertised price. was never offered a refund and for them to hide the sign and to imply i was lying about the promotion is what really annoyed me

not only did i get oversharged tesco would be pretty busy imagine how many other people would of been over charged that day

Eh... None? Assuming they purchased before midnight then they'd have gotten the offer? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It's always worth checking the Tesco receipt if you bought any special offers. I once bought a 2-for-1 offer on CFL lightbulbs, got both free and money back after I went to the customer service desk. Go there, don't harrass the checkout girl !

Eh... None? Assuming they purchased before midnight then they'd have gotten the offer? :confused:

was a day and 5 minutes out of date, not just 5 minutes so every1 that wanted to avail of te offer that day got overcharged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Tesco were right here, as far as I can determine.

There was a large advertised special offer price, but with the condition that it expired on XX May. You purchased after XX May, therefore the price reverts to the normal price, which should also be displayed in conjunction with the special offer.

Now, if that normal price is not displayed, then you have a point.

Advertisement