Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If club managers took teams to the World Cup

• 04-05-2010 8:59am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A bit of a silly thread this, but I was just thinking of how the Argentina team might fare at the world cup with Mourinho as manager. They would very likely win the thing as he would be able to bring some cohesion to the mediocre, not to say shambolic defence in situ under Maradona. On the other hand, we might see the dullest Argentina side in history grind out 1-0 victory after 1-0 victory and Messi consigned to a sort of wing back with benefits role.

What current club managers do you think would bring the best out of the national sides with an eye on South Africa?

Wenger with Spain would surely give Mourinho's albiceleste a run for their money (and they have the sort of injury list Arsène knows all about).

There's a part of me also that would love to see Sam Allardyce send out a Brazil side and Pep Guardiola's mettle tested at the helm of North Korea.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Were you out all night or something? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Fergie (in the role of caretaker) took Scotland to World Cup in 1986. And left Hansen out of the squad. Some were suprised at the decision at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Argentina have been poor both attacking and defensively under Maradona. I think Mourinho will coach the Portugal NT at some stage also.

Dunga is fairly conservative for a Brazilian. Not at Allardyce level but not a million miles away.

The only problem being a World Cup manager is that you don't have players long enough and at the end of the day there will be always be problems with the club managers.
    I'm sure Wenger is still unhappy about the Van Persie situation. Would Arsenal have won that league if Van Persie hadn't picked up an injury while away on international duty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I'm sure Wenger is still unhappy about the Van Persie situation. Would Arsenal have won that league if Van Persie hadn't picked up an injury while away on international duty

No. You need a goalkeeper to win the league.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

8-10 wrote: »
    No. You need a goalkeeper to win the league.

Would Wenger have the guts/sense to drop Casillas though? I'm not suggesting he'd call up Almunia or anything

I reckon Ferguson would bring France far.

Re Ferguson. He is a club manager who can control the dressing room. International stars would be different lot to manage.

Re Ferguson. He is a club manager who can control the dressing room. International stars would be different lot to manage.

Aren't pretty much all of his players international stars as it is? On further reflection, I'd like to see him at half-time managing an underperformign Dutch side.

The point being that international players know who play their wages. We have seen with some of them that they don't always give the same commitment and I think as such Fergie might have a problem getting the best out of an international team.

Hodgson with Germany?

• Advertisement
Advertisement