Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Theatre Festival?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

jacaranda wrote: »
    This thread seems to be turning into a you-can't-criticize-me-because-I-am-gay-and-its -been-so-hard-for-me thread. Maybe my off the cuff remark earlier that gay people are just the same as everyone else, with problems and happiness and joys and disappointment and successes and so on is more accurate than I imagined, and maybe the greatest fear of some is that they are just like everyone else.

Maybe it's that you're being ignorant and condescending, that you have not the slightest clue what you're talking about and that it's getting very very irritating. You're either an excellent troll or a very dense person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭jacaranda

Zillah wrote: »
    Maybe it's that you're being ignorant and condescending, that you have not the slightest clue what you're talking about and that it's getting very very irritating. You're either an excellent troll or a very dense person.

I am sad for you that you have to resort to name calling and avoid any arguement.
    Mrs Thatcher once said; " I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly personal and wounding because I think, well, if you attack one personally, it means you have not a single argument left".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

You're either an excellent troll or a very dense person.

Circular reasoning and 'copy and paste' repetition? I would guess the former at this stage.

inisboffin wrote: »
    Circular reasoning and 'copy and paste' repetition? I would guess the former at this stage.

If you want to make an argument or discuss, then fire ahead as I love discussion.

If you merely want to to resort to name calling and bonding with other posters who also wish to name call, why do you choose to do it on a message boards website?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

jacaranda wrote: »
    I am sad for you that you have to resort to name calling and avoid any arguement.

I've made my argument, you haven't addressed it. It seems unbecoming to keep repeating myself when you're just not getting it. Resorting to name calling is a satisfying alternative. If you're really insistent on dragging the Performing Arts forum into an ongoing debate about gay people in society then fine. I'll give you the simple version of my argument and we'll see if you can keep up:

1 - There is a difference between being given equal rights and being the same as everyone else. Do you understand this?

2 - Gay people experience things that straight people do not. Do you understand this?

3 - Gay theatre festivals and gay film festivals provide an opportunity to explore these experiences. Do you understand this?

4 - Having a gay theatre festival to explore issues unique to gay people is no different than having an African film festival to explore issues unique to African people. For example, recently Africa Day was celebrated in Iveagh Gardens. Should that simply have been Continent Day? Is it some how excluding African people by giving them a special day?

• Advertisement

I've made my argument, you haven't addressed it. It seems unbecoming to keep repeating myself when you're just not getting it. Resorting to name calling is a satisfying alternative. If you're really insistent on dragging the Performing Arts forum into an ongoing debate about gay people in society then fine. I'll give you the simple version of my argument and we'll see if you can keep up:

How amazingly patronising of you. You seem unable to discuss without being pejorative and patronising, which is a shame, as it seems unlikely you will be able to discuss in a spirit of tolerance. The irony is that, while you plead for tolerance for gay people, you seem to not display much of it yourself.

1 - There is a difference between being given equal rights and being the same as everyone else. Do you understand this?

I don't think anyone is "the same as everyone else". Your argument seems to be that all gay people are not the same as all non gay people.

While I applaud, and have fought for, equal rights for gay people, I don't agree that all gay people are the same, or that all gay people share the same differences with all non gay people.

2 - Gay people experience things that straight people do not. Do you understand this?

Its not a matter of understanding it, but a matter of whether i agree that you can speak on behalf of all gay people and state that all gay people experience things which no no gay person has experienced.

I just don't see the world the same way as you appear to. I see the world as being more varied and wonderful than you appear to, insofar as you appear to think that all gay people have similar experiences (they don't) and that no non gay people can have similar experiences.

3 - Gay theatre festivals and gay film festivals provide an opportunity to explore these experiences. Do you understand this?

Again, it's not a matter of understanding (in the patronising way you ask the question). I think theatre festivals provide opportunities to explore these, and many other, experiences. I don't think only "Gay" theatre festivals can properly explore gay themes.

4 - Having a gay theatre festival to explore issues unique to gay people is no different than having an African film festival to explore issues unique to African people. For example, recently Africa Day was celebrated in Iveagh Gardens. Should that simply have been Continent Day? Is it some how excluding African people by giving them a special day?

I am not sure how the show I saw, Barbara & Lisa explored issues which are unique to gay people. I'm not sure you do either. Yet you seem to claim it here.

As I've said, I don't think of the world in terms of issues which all gay people suffer from. Some do, and some don't, just like everyone else. You seem to be determined to think you can speak on behalf of all gay people, when many gay people I know would disagree with what you say, and would not accept you speak on their behalf. I may even be gay myself and think that.

We just see the world in different ways and you seem to think that all gay people are alike and have the same issues and problems and experiences, and that no non gay person can have the same or similar issues and problems and experiences.

I can't claim to speak on anyone elses's behalf, as you seem to want to do, but what is apparent from the way you think is that you think gay people should be a distinct group apart from everyone else. I don't, and think the world consists of people of many differences, and that we are all one group. I celebrate difference but not in that it separates us as human beings.

It's fine if you want to think that and I celebrate your right to think it. But you seem not to extend that friendship to anyone who does not agree with you as evidenced with your intolerant and patronising tone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Closing the thread. This isnt what the forum is about.

If you want to debate the semantics of holding a Gay Festival with the social and ethical implications of doing it, then please take it to the Humanities forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement