Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 2 3 4 5.... Last Page

Options
  • 04-05-2010 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭

Would it be worth considering the possibility that instead of Last Page we could have something like 1 2 3...... 24 25 26, or 1 2 3......24 25 Last Page

There are a lot of instances where I know that where I stopped reading the thread is no longer on the last page, its on the page before it, or even several pages before it because just having Last Page is very vague. But in order to get to that page, I have to go to the last page, then go back a page, then once I've read that page, have to go back into the last page to continue.

I mean, if a thread has gotten to the stage where there are more than 5 pages, a lot of the time, people won't need 1 2 3 4 5, they'd just need maybe the first 3 pages if they're new to the thread, and people who have been following the thread could do with more numbers towards the end of the thread to choose from.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

You may already know this, but there's a link beside the thread title that will bring you to the first unread message in the thread - I use this all the time to start reading where I left off. Or use the "View First Unread" link at the top of any thread page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Thats what I use too... this little fella lastpost.gif

AFAIK they can't change the vBulleting design that much, and there is no real need for it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

TrueDub wrote: »
    You may already know this, but there's a link beside the thread title that will bring you to the first unread message in the thread - I use this all the time to start reading where I left off. Or use the "View First Unread" link at the top of any thread page.

I use it sometimes, but a lot of the time it doesn't bring me where its supposed to. It might bring me to some post on the page before where I last read. That may be just the way I used boards or whatever.

Obviously, its not a big issue, so as Tallon said, if its difficult to change, I wouldn't worry about it. Just a suggestion

I use it sometimes, but a lot of the time it doesn't bring me where its supposed to.

Is this within the last week or so? Because there is a known issue at the moment with the subscription feature and bringing you to the wrong post(s)

Tallon wrote: »
    Is this within the last week or so? Because there is a known issue at the moment with the subscription feature and bringing you to the wrong post(s)

No, it seems to happen randomly. I think it might be because I hit "Back" to go back to the forum rather than clicking on the forum name. Same way some threads come up as unread even if I was actually the last one to post in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

No, it seems to happen randomly. I think it might be because I hit "Back" to go back to the forum rather than clicking on the forum name. Same way some threads come up as unread even if I was actually the last one to post in it.

When I look at a forum, I use the View Last Unread button beside each thread, and click on it using the mousewheel, which in Firefox opens the link in a new tab. This means I can open all the threads at the start, then close the forum, and read the threads one by one, closing them as I go along.

I do this using the Subbed list too, to get a new tab for each forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Would it be worth considering the possibility that instead of Last Page we could have something like 1 2 3...... 24 25 26, or 1 2 3......24 25 Last Page

After 'Last>>' there is a triangle, click it and it opens a 'goto page' box

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That is a very handy feature particularly in this case or a fast moving thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Where is this feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Tallon wrote: »
    Where is this feature?

Its at the bottom of a multi page thread, where it has 1,2,3,4,5..........Last Page. There's an arrow that if you click on it, you can enter the page number you want.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Its at the bottom of a multi page thread, where it has 1,2,3,4,5..........Last Page. There's an arrow that if you click on it, you can enter the page number you want.

Oh right, but thats if your already in the thread. Brings the OP back to square one, having to click on last page, and then select the page to go too

This
    112735.jpg

This

Thats for threads, not for posts!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Its there for posts too, inside the thread.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Its there for posts too, inside the thread.

DeV.

As I said above

I thought he was after more page numbers.
    there is also
    Display mode>Switch to threaded mode
    which can be handy

I thought he was after more page numbers.
    there is also
    Display mode>Switch to threaded mode
    which can be handy

Sorry, I should have clarified it better, I meant when you are on the main forum page (eg. After Hours) and you see the list of threads. If I knew I last read Page 24, the numbers beside the thread just go (1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page), so by clicking Last Page, it might bring me to Page 26.

Obviously I wouldn't expect every single page number to be under the thread title, I just felt that having one or two more pages numbers towards the end of the thread (eg, 1 2 3 ... 24 25 26/Last Page) might make things a bit easier for people. But I didn't know about the whole clicking the arrow symbol in front of the thread title would bring me to last unread post, so that solves it I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well if you see that arrow next to in this case Frada's name

112735.jpg

When you click that it takes you iirc to the last page you viewed, or your last post, i cant remember which.

It says 'go to last post' when i tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I know it's sorted now, but another thing to keep in mind is that the thread info will tell you how many pages the thread contains when you are in the thread. Left of '1 2 3 etc' it will say 'Page x of xx' giving you an indication of what page you need to enter in the findapage box.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

When I look at this thread (the page you are looking at now) bottom right (and top right) I see "Page 2 of 2, [1][2][v]" with a downward triangle where the "v" is there.

Click the downward triangle and you should see a text box asking you for a page number to go to.

DeV.

Again, thats when you're IN the thread, my suggestion was about when you're on a forum looking at the list of threads.

But again, its sorted now. Cheers all

What we really need is some sort of Technical Helpdesk, you know, kind of like the one we've got, where you can get advice on how to run a burger van, fill out your tax returns etc.
    Only just for the technical stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Learned a bit from reading this, thanks lads. Amazing the little things you never cop, even after years of use.

Righto then Buzz, lets fly this bugger under a bridge.

Advertisement