Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighborhoods to Watch Out For

Options
  • 04-05-2010 9:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I'm just wondering, but are there any neighborhoods in or around the Dublin vicinity that one should be weary of or look out for?

I tried doing a search for certain key terms regarding it and couldn't find anything (please let me know if there is indeed something on here for this topic though o.o I apologize if there is), so I thought it best to try posting it on here. Regarding racial tensions, I wasn't sure if there were any that I should look out for (I'm told I'd easily be differentiated as African American as opposed to African, but still, I'd rather not accidentally end up somewhere it'd be best not to go).

I'm also interested in general non-race-related safety as well though. A friend of mine currently in Ireland said Parnell Street, for example, is a bit on the rough side, but I'm unsure about anywhere else. :/ She might not be able to answer her emails consistently now, so I won't be able to ask her.

Thank you to everyone able to help :)
    P.S. - is there a thread like this for all of the regions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We don't say "Neighborhoods", we say neighbourhoods (UK spelling) or more commonly "areas". If you type "Dublin areas" into google it'll automatically suggest "Dublin areas to avoid" :D

Try http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=dublin+areas+site%3Aboards.ie

Old old thread here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Tamith

Hehe. Thank you, biko :) I appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

Hey Tamith,

Its hard to give you an idea of good or bad areas if we don't know what your intentions are! Like if you are going to university or going to be working etc. For instance, there are 2 areas touching on the dublin northside - marino and ballyboc - and they are chalk and cheese.

As far as the racism goes i'm not too sure but the only public racism i have ever seen has been in the city centre around the back of the ilac centre and that was complete scumbags abusing some dude. Parnell street is full of asian restaurants and african shops etc. I lived around the corner from it on Mountjoy Sqaure for a few years and loved it. Cheap interesting food etc!

Maybe you could post here with areas you are interested in and we could comment or give you more info!

Hello Evil-p :)

I'm so sorry about that - I should have done that from the first posting xD
    I'm trying to carryout an internship with one of the main libraries or museums in Ireland. So far, I'm assuming I'll spend a good deal of time somewhere near the Trinity College Library but am also still looking for accommodations. Lucan has a lot of places I've been interested in, actually, as well as Ballyfermot, and Balbriggan.

Thank goodness I'm typing these names out though, because I've not a clue how to say them verbally :P Especially if they sound as different from their spelling as Dun Laoghaire o.o

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

Just typed a long reply there and it vanished into cyberspace:mad:

Anyway a slightly shortened version is this:

Balbriggan - very far out of dublin, has train service, very diverse, cheap rent.

Swords - Closer to city than balbriggan, large shopping centre, very good publin transport, good nightlife in town centre.

Lucan - Sorry, I don't really know Lucan at all so can't help.

Ballyfermot - I know i'm going get abuse for this but i don't think ballyfermot would be the best idea. Its a rough council area and although most people are great that small precentage make it a dodgy area!

Blanchardstown, Mulhuddart, Clonee are all areas worth considering too.

As far as safety goes, keeping safe in Dublin is honestly the same as keeeping safe in any city in the world. Don't flaunt possesions, don't get some drunk that you are not aware of you surroundings, if its feels dangerous it probably is so get out of there fast etc.

Honestly don't stress to much about the race thing either. It is a very tiny minority that have a problem and there is very little chance of you running into problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Ranelagh, Rathmines, Rathgar, Donnybrook are all very nice and within walking distance of Trinity/town. (Rathgar is a little futher out, mind you, but still very easily walkable) I'd highly recommend any of these areas, especially Rathmines and Ranelagh. They're quite studenty areas and so tend to have a nice mixed bag of people. Rents would be higher there than say Lucan but being able to walk in and out of town and a day/night is totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

If you can afford to rent within walking distance of the city centre(Rathmines,Ranelagh,Rathgar,Smithfield,Phibsboro,Kilmainham,Inchicore)then do.

Places like Lucan,Swords,Blanchardstown and Clondalkin are pretty far away(at least 1 hour bus journey during peak times)and you are dependent on a pretty unreliable bus service for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Mute

biko wrote: »
    We don't say "Neighborhoods", we say neighbourhoods (UK spelling) or more commonly "areas". If you type "Dublin areas" into google it'll automatically suggest "Dublin areas to avoid" :D

Try http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=dublin+areas+site%3Aboards.ie

Old old thread here.

I think reference to this old thread is misleading and irrelevant

This is because its dated form 2005. Which was pre LUAS.

All lot of areas mentioned in the thread have been regenerated and are now unrecognisable to theis former lives.

In particular I would refer to what was once Fatima Mansions and is now called Herberton.

A couple of friends of mine recently bought a house and appartment there and they could not praise it enough.
    Especially for is multi-cultural diversity.

"It has its own LUAS stop and is very well serviced with shops, cafes, pubs youth clubs, all weather pitches creches and its own pool and fitness centre" (Sounds like and add, I know).

But my point is areas change over the years, especially in Dublin!

BTW everywhere in Dublin has some sort of bad element.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

op, dublin is a really safe city, so i would have much worries on that side of things, as long as you use a bit of cop on.

have been living here for years and have never had an problems.

you are probably best being in walking distance of the city.

do you have any idea of your budget? whether you want to share with other people or rent on your own?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Despite the train of argument in the thread, the economic divide of the city if you really wanted to apply one is generally east/west than north/south - irrespective of which area is 'better'.

Pretty much everywhere is safe.

• Advertisement

from the charter

* "Northside v southside", "working class areas v middle class" areas, "best area", "worst area" type threads will no longer be permitted. They are totally pointless and not worth the hassle they cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭DublinRunnerJoe

irishbird wrote: »
    from the charter

* "Northside v southside", "working class areas v middle class" areas, "best area", "worst area" type threads will no longer be permitted. They are totally pointless and not worth the hassle they cause.

100% agree

John_Rambo wrote: »
    This is rubbish OP... Plenty of very very safe areas, some incredibly close to the city. Clontarf, Raheny, Killester are just a few off the top of my head on the Northside anyway.

Aw, actually, I was going to ask about Raheny in my next post. Particularly Raheny, Drogheda/South Louth (? - sorry about that, I'm having a hard time understanding counties, cities, towns and villages as categories in Ireland at the moment >,<) and Rathcoole.
    dfx- wrote: »
    Despite the train of argument in the thread, the economic divide of the city if you really wanted to apply one is generally east/west than north/south - irrespective of which area is 'better'.

Pretty much everywhere is safe.

Thank you so much, guys - I understand what you mean - it sounds like it has a majority of good areas that just have a few bad traits (like everywhere else), if they have bad traits at all, for some people.

I only asked because I wanted to know if there were any outward 'stay away from' places (or even streets?) that really should be avoided because there's a known population, big or small, that will, without question, cause trouble. Sort of like where I live now - there are areas nearby that are just common sense 'KKK-areas' - where a good deal of people just know it's not safe to even drive by, if you can help it, past 6pm lol Situations like that.

Luckily, from the sounds of it, there's more good than negative present =) That makes me really happy to hear. I'll just have to heed the usual rules and advice: keep your wits about you, listen to your instincts, don't get drunk, and be aware of the time period during which you're out and about.
    irishbird wrote: »
    op, dublin is a really safe city, so i would have much worries on that side of things, as long as you use a bit of cop on.

have been living here for years and have never had an problems.

you are probably best being in walking distance of the city.

do you have any idea of your budget? whether you want to share with other people or rent on your own?

As for your post, Irishbird, I really would like to be within walking distance too, yes - I'd actually really enjoy being able to walk places since you can't do that here (everything's 30 minutes from everything else lol). I would like to preferably stick with 200euro monthly (bills included) but know it's not likely I'll find that nearer to the city center. If I have to, I can afford 300 euros a month as well, bills inc.

Bedsits (I believe that's what the studio apartments are called?) I'm open to, and I would like a single/double room to myself since I still have research I have to do during the evenings for school long-distance. I would, however, love to share the rest of the house with 1 or more people - last thing I'd want to do is leave Ireland saying I was a hermit that didn't meet anyone :P

My preferences were posted here: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055900012

okay, you are not going to get anything for 200e a month including bills.

a bedsit, you are probably looking at 600e a month plus bills.

you might get a houses/apartment share for that

you should have a look at this site to get an idea www.daft.ie, they have house mate team up service as well

the areas you should probably look at at dublin 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8 - these are all in the city centre or walking distance.

the even numbers are on the south side of the liffey and the odd numbers are the northside of the city (except for dublin 8 which cross both sides of the liffey)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

cosmic wrote: »
    Ranelagh, Rathmines, Rathgar, Donnybrook are all very nice and within walking distance of Trinity/town. (Rathgar is a little futher out, mind you, but still very easily walkable) I'd highly recommend any of these areas, especially Rathmines and Ranelagh. They're quite studenty areas and so tend to have a nice mixed bag of people. Rents would be higher there than say Lucan but being able to walk in and out of town and a day/night is totally worth it.

+ 1 to this.

I live just up the road from Rathgar and Rathmines and they're both nice places.

Rathmines is especially handy if you're a student. Lots of students living in the area, close to all the CC colleges and there's plenty of supermarkets and shops.
    Tamith wrote: »
    I really would like to be within walking distance too, yes - I'd actually really enjoy being able to walk places since you can't do that here (everything's 30 minutes from everything else lol). I would like to preferably stick with 200euro monthly (bills included) but know it's not likely I'll find that nearer to the city center. If I have to, I can afford 300 euros a month as well, bills inc.

As Irishbird said, definitely check out daft.ie. The majority of people with rooms available in their house use this site. If you give it time and put a bit of effort in to looking for a place, you shouldn't have a problem finding a house to suit your budget.

Based on 300 euro a month plus bills, you're realistically looking at a single room in a house share. Houses nearer the CC will be more expensive than those further out, generally. You're paying for the proximity!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'll second irishbird on the financial side of things. Dublin is a very expensive city, even now the prices are falling it's still very expensive. Expect to pay a minimum of €400pm for a reasonably decent houseshare plus bills. And if you pay less to live further out, you will need to factor in fairly expensive transportation costs, so it's a false economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Mod Warning : Stop this ridiculous and snobbish North/Southside Thing please, especially disappointing to see it from other mods

I'm going to clean up this thread
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

As you mentione Lucan earlier, having friends living there it is a nice area, but depending on what part your looking at theres not lots of amenities in certain sections of it. So if yor going to be travelling by foot best check out the location first.

Clondalkin wouldnt be a bad idea for you, once you stick to the village end of it, has all amenities close by that youd need. Plus the luas is just a short walk away for easy access into town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I only asked because I wanted to know if there were any outward 'stay away from' places (or even streets?) that really should be avoided because there's a known population, big or small, that will, without question, cause trouble. Sort of like where I live now - there are areas nearby that are just common sense 'KKK-areas' - where a good deal of people just know it's not safe to even drive by, if you can help it, past 6pm lol Situations like that.
    I don't think people have been giving you the best replies. I think what the Irish call no go areas and the places that your thinking of are worlds apart.

People here are mentioning places where maybe a kid will swear at you or throw stones at your car and are generally poor areas but probably not near the kind of dangerous places you'd be worried about.
    see this thread for an example of the brutality of what can happen right in the center of our city: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055892237

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

adamski8 wrote: »
    I don't think people have been giving you the best replies. I think what the Irish call no go areas and the places that your thinking of are worlds apart.

People here are mentioning places where maybe a kid will swear at you or throw stones at your car and are generally poor areas but probably not near the kind of dangerous places you'd be worried about.
    see this thread for an example of the brutality of what can happen right in the center of our city: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055892237

Yeh they might not be as bad as what the op is talking about but i also dont know what kinda areas youve lived in but theres a lot worse that goes on in certain areas of dublin than throwing stones at your car or kids swearing at you.

Op most parts of Dublin would have there no go areas and there nice parts too, when you pick which area of dublin you want to live people can tell you what estates/areas to avoid and which ones will be ok.

• Advertisement

adamski8 wrote: »

Lol. you're right, Adamski8, though, knowing about both types would be beneficial, I guess. The responses have been very helpful so far also, regarding what areas to search within for accommodations. And I'm probably sensitive enough to cry about having stones thrown at me o.o
    :P Thank you for the link though =) I will take a look!
    Yeh they might not be as bad as what the op is talking about but i also dont know what kinda areas youve lived in but theres a lot worse that goes on in certain areas of dublin than throwing stones at your car or kids swearing at you.

Op most parts of Dublin would have there no go areas and there nice parts too, when you pick which area of dublin you want to live people can tell you what estates/areas to avoid and which ones will be ok.

I've never lived in any bad areas, to be honest, luvbulmers01. I just live in the sticks here lol So... they have regular KKK meetings, and it's just...really beneficial to know which areas are best not to venture into. Especially since practically everyone here is gun-happy and won't hesitate to shoot you for going on their property lol That said, though, I've always lived in very safe neighborhoods (only visited the ghetto, but thankfully never stayed there >,<)

As far as the area I'm picking at the moment, the place that I'm looking forward to agreeing to is in Dublin 8, South Dublin City. If memory serves me correctly, I think it's near Tyrconnell Road (trying to find the page for it as I write this lol). Hoping transportation won't cost too much from this area. Does anyone have experience with anywhere near that vicinity?

As far as the area I'm picking at the moment, the place that I'm looking forward to agreeing to is in Dublin 8, South Dublin City. If memory serves me correctly, I think it's near Tyrconnell Road (trying to find the page for it as I write this lol). Hoping transportation won't cost too much from this area. Does anyone have experience with anywhere near that vicinity?

Inchicore/Drimnagh wouldn't really be the best of areas. It's about a mile away from where Pawel Kalite and Marius Szwajkos were murdered. Tyrconnell Road is just one street away from the street that Sean Keogh, who was involved in the attack, is from. I'm not sure exactly how racially motivated the attack on them was, but tbh OP, I wouldn't be wild on living there as a white Irish person, if I was clearly foreign, I'd avoid.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0506/drimnagh.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lady of the flowers

try to avoid ground floor apartments...no matter where you end up

try to avoid ground floor apartments...no matter where you end up

Luckily, I'm looking more at houses than anything :) But I completely understand. Usually, that's the case here because if there are vermin/pests, above, you'll get the worst of it below - much worse than you'd get were they going from bottom to top in the apartment building (well, at least, that's what I've been advised :P). Is that the same reason in Ireland?
    iguana wrote: »
    Inchicore/Drimnagh wouldn't really be the best of areas. It's about a mile away from where Pawel Kalite and Marius Szwajkos were murdered. Tyrconnell Road is just one street away from the street that Sean Keogh, who was involved in the attack, is from. I'm not sure exactly how racially motivated the attack on them was, but tbh OP, I wouldn't be wild on living there as a white Irish person, if I was clearly foreign, I'd avoid.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0506/drimnagh.html

Iguana, your post just scared the wits outta me... *searches for new place* >,< Goodness, now I'm very uneasy lol

Iguana, your post just scared the wits outta me... *searches for new place* >,< Goodness, now I'm very uneasy lol

I don't want to freak you out, but while they aren't a daily occurrence, worse things than stone throwing and name calling can happen in parts of Dublin/Ireland. And, sadly, there are areas where your skin colour/foreignness will make you something of a target.

Just a reference on this map A is where the attack happened and B is where one of the attackers lived, with the journey line going through Tyrconnell Road.

4585076609_7d99d31073_o.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Hey Tamith

I would highly reccomend moving to Rathmines area. Its a 15 mins straight walk to Temple Bar which is right beside trinity and if you want to go to Ballyfermot college the bus is only another 2 mins walk from temple bar.

I have just moved into Rathmines and i love it,its kinda got that whole arty/student vibe about it (coffee shops,some nice bars,book stores and second hand places to look about like oxfam) my rent is €400 per month (its a bedsit kinda thing) and my bills cost about 40 euro for 2 months.

The bus fares from Rathmines are €1.15-€1.60 and that would bring you to Temple Bar area or Westmorland street. If you were going to Ballyfermot then the bus leaves from just around the corner of westmorland street,on the quays on the liffey. Its then another €1.80 out to the college but you could get a rambler pass so you can use the bus as many times a day as you want. The bus to Ballyfermot is the 78A.... its a bit dodgy but if you just sit downstairs then your fine.

There is also a bus that goes to Ballyfermot from Rathmines but it is not a frequent as the bus from the city centre.

I lived on the northside of Dublin in the city centre just off Parnell Street and it can be kinda scary sometimes and im Irish so i understand where you would be coming from. If you do pick the northside maybe a place to stay away from would be sherrif street,my mate lived their and he is as Irish as they come and he got threatened by the local scum.

I hope my post has made some sense as its 3.30 am and im kinda falling asleep.

Just remember... when your coming over,bring a raincoat with ya cos its always feckin raining!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Darndale, edenmore, ballymun, jobstown + cherry orchard: the worst parts of dublin i've ever been in - part of my jobs involves leaving memebers ofthe IWA day-care centre home to these places. If i was to pick the no.1 dodgiest area in dublin, both Darndale and Ballymun would both jointly- hold that spot- both seem to have that arsehole-of-the-country feel to them, and suicide would be a preferable alternative to living in them

"Its a lovely area, just a few bad eggs Adrian"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

Tamith my man don't worry about anything, Dublin's a nice enough place, rathmines ranelagh is nice too, but either way wherever you live in Dublin you can make friends easily. People tend to leave each other alone. Like any city you have smack heads etc walking around but they are usually harmless. There are criminals like any city, but if you don't associate with them you'll be alright. There is no kkk crap in Ireland. Though let me know where your gonna be living and I'll drop down once a week for my 50 euro protection money off you and you'll be bulletproof :D lol

Wow o.o I'm sorry about the differentiations in opinions on here >,<

Though, to keep those who answered updated, I've currently gone about securing a place in Moyglare Village in Maynooth, but that won't be until June sometime (does anyone have any information about that place too? o.o). I will be taking your advice when it comes to living closer to the Dublin center for the time being, so I'm still looking for places. Will keep you updated once more =D

• Advertisement

Tamith my man don't worry about anything, Dublin's a nice enough place, rathmines ranelagh is nice too, but either way wherever you live in Dublin you can make friends easily. People tend to leave each other alone. Like any city you have smack heads etc walking around but they are usually harmless. There are criminals like any city, but if you don't associate with them you'll be alright. There is no kkk crap in Ireland. Though let me know where your gonna be living and I'll drop down once a week for my 50 euro protection money off you and you'll be bulletproof :D lol

xD Why thank you! :P I appreciate your comment also and I'm glad to hear such things. My main intention with this thread, I realized, was that I was mainly interested in finding out what streets to keep away from in Dublin (makes so much more sense and keeps things a bit simpler, I think). but I ended up saying neighborhoods instead for some reason o.O But knowing that I'll be able to make friends quickly makes me feel much better. ^^ thank you!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement