Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyclist attacks on video

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Ewe should be more careful! You could've rammed into her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

He was going too fast for such a potholed road anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Is magnatom the same cockspanner who was posting videos of his near misses with cars and interviewed for some TV news programme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I want those 56 seconds of my life back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Lumen wrote: »
    Is magnatom the same cockspanner who was posting videos of his near misses with cars and interviewed for some TV news programme?

Seems so. He is either accident prone, uncoordinated or doing it deliberately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Why do these self-videoing people have to be so melodramatic?

"arrggh **** don't do it.. jesus arghh christ.. stupid bitch etc etc"

Get a hold of yourself, show some decorum. Also anyone in their right mind would have started to brake when they saw the killer sheep in case it did exactly what it did. This chap is a wally. We should send him to this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

typical english knob cyclist (came across a few in my time)

could see sheep for about 100m but didnt slow down by looks of it

then he curses at sheep and calls it stupid as if sheep should have high IQs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What a lot of people fail to realise about animals is that they're not like people on the road.

If you come across someone crossing or standing on the road in front of you, he is most likely to get out of your way by the most obvious route possible. So if you position yourself on his left, he'll move right to give you more space. If you approach a person straight on, they will get confused and will likely be unable to decide what way to go and it can end in disaster.

Animals on the other hand, operate in a totally different manner. If you come across one, he will most likely take the most direct route back to his habitat, regardless of whether or not this involves crossing your path. The best plan is to approach the animal head on (i.e. don't try to go around it) and shout at it. The animal will be much more decisive than a human and will (usually) get out of your way.

Sheep are even easier as they don't stray far from the flock. If there's a group of sheep in a field on your right and sheep on the left-hand side of the road, you know which directions he's going to run.

It's well known that English sheep are a lot brighter than Irish ones - we expect them to get out of the way. In this case the sheep had clearly seen him on Youtube and was trying to do us all a favour by wiping him out.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

He's Scottish:p

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I like this combination:

2007:

2010:

Clearly doesn't learn his lessons (or read the "Slow" sign on the cycle track)!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭gamgsam

Beasty wrote: »
    He's Scotch:p

Apparently that's the correct term.

gamgsam wrote: »
    Apparently that's the correct term.

Not unless you're looking for a Glasgow kiss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Beasty wrote: »
    He's an idiot:p

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

actually here's the guardian podcast, might be more interesting than my video post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Jumpy wrote: »
    Seems so. He is either accident prone, uncoordinated or doing it deliberately.

Hmm, maybe he has a magnetic bike? :confused:

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Lumen wrote: »

I thought his voice scream sounded familiar [the scotish guy right? - who nearly got squished by a truck at a roundabout, was a thread here in last month or so]

If the guy spent less time looking at his bars, he wouldn't be so good at making crashes for himself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I was a Scotch once.

Never again, left a terrible taste in my mouth, I am an Irish, straight up ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Ah lads, give the guy a break. I love his vids, particularly when he breaks into a foul-mouthed stream of Glaswegian abuse at some tosser.

His recent one with the Audi driver was funny, given that (for once) he kept his mouth shut, and it was the driver having a go at him.

He's my hero - I want a helmet-cam. Though hopefully not to show this kind of vid - Note the warning from the owner before viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

He needs to chill out!

Someone beeped at him so he stopped in the middle of the road for a row! I usually ignore any unwarranted beeps and they get the message. He's just looking for trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIuNA_1UHoU&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Do I detect a hint of racism?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Do I detect a hint of racism?

I think the word you're looking for is speciesism ;)

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I want a helmet-cam. Though hopefully not to show this kind of vid - Note the warning from the owner before viewing.

That footage is fantastic quality, the spots of blood come out very clearly. Looking through the comments it appears to be a Contour HD 1080p. Bit pricey though.

Whilst there is no doubt as to the fault in that video, there was an obvious exit route down the left of the oncoming car which might have resulted in a side-swipe but would no doubt have hurt less. The car never actually slowed down as it approached the roundabout - that ought to have triggered some contingency planning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭rflynnr

I'm a big fan of this guy. Yes, there's an occasional note of hysteria in his tone but the suggestion that he's unusually incident/accident prone for an urban cyclist seems off the mark. I've lived between the canals in Dublin, northside and south for 16 years and have commuted by bike more or less every weekday. His experiences largely mirror mine. The difference is that I generally take a discretion-is-the-best-part-of-valour approach and ignore the thousand tiny pricks of motorist indifference/ignorance/aggression that I encounter more or less every day. But not a week goes by but I don't have some experience that would qualify for publication on this guy's youtube pages.

I've learnt (as he has) to cycle defensively so these encounters with cars rarely constitute a threat to the wellbeing of me and mine. Nonetheless if I'm honest I've also sort of resigned myself to second class status on the roads. He has decided to challenge that status and by documenting it, potentially makes some small contribution to changing it.

Should we criticise him for his proactive stance? I don't think so and certainly not on the basis of his nationality (@slideshowbob: what possible relevance can that have? It tells me you don't like the English, and that you can't distinguish between them and the Scottish, but not much else).

(And while I'm at it: nor should the amount of time apparently looking at handlebars prove anything. There's a huge amount of difference between what a fixed lens camera captures and what a cyclist is seeing. I once stuck a camcorder on my own helmet for reasons that seemed to make sense at the time and recorded my commute. I regard myself as a particularly observant cyclist but I was amazed to see how different the camera perspective (which often seemed focused on irrelevant views) was from my own subjective perspective on the commute.

rflynnr wrote: »
    I've lived between the canals in Dublin, northside and south for 16 years and have commuted by bike more or less every weekday. His experiences largely mirror mine.

How many crashes have you had in that period?

If you mean, knocking me off the bike crashes, then two. One guy pulled out from a junction just as I passed and rear-ended me. The other, opened a car door as I passed. I see your point though.

If you mean, knocking me off the bike crashes, then two. One guy pulled out from a junction just as I passed and rear-ended me. The other, opened a car door as I passed.

In that case, I'm a big fan of rflynnr - that's an impressive record for 16 years of daily commuting. Would make very boring Youtube footage though.

Nice of you to say. I am - to a point of being smug about it - hugely careful, though not to a point where I compromise on speed (which would defeat the point of being on the bike). I've rarely encountered circumstances where caution and speed are mutually exclusive: indeed maintaining progress with other traffic often seems to be the safest strategy.

Really, how common are crashes though ? Near misses, yeah a good few of them. Nothing I remember as scaring the pants off me. But a full on, into the car and off the bike crash ? Never had one either in 10 years of Dublin traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I've never been knocked off my bike in 25 years of commuting. It might just be luck; it could be hubris to think otherwise, and perhaps would invite a terrible nemesis.

(I have come off my bike a few times, of course, but that's not the same thing.)

I have suffered two incidents of unbelievably over-the-top intimidation though, both in the last three years.

I'm a big fan of this guy. Yes, there's an occasional note of hysteria in his tone but the suggestion that he's unusually incident/accident prone for an urban cyclist seems off the mark. I've lived between the canals in Dublin, northside and south for 16 years and have commuted by bike more or less every weekday. His experiences largely mirror mine. The difference is that I generally take a discretion-is-the-best-part-of-valour approach and ignore the thousand tiny pricks of motorist indifference/ignorance/aggression that I encounter more or less every day. But not a week goes by but I don't have some experience that would qualify for publication on this guy's youtube pages.

I've learnt (as he has) to cycle defensively so these encounters with cars rarely constitute a threat to the wellbeing of me and mine. Nonetheless if I'm honest I've also sort of resigned myself to second class status on the roads. He has decided to challenge that status and by documenting it, potentially makes some small contribution to changing it.

Should we criticise him for his proactive stance? I don't think so and certainly not on the basis of his nationality
    Fully agree.

You can always dress up deference as courtesy. I find it helps you psychologically and also can disarm the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 magnatom

Hi Guys! :D

Nice to see I am loved here in Ireland.

I came across a link to this thread and I thought I'd say hi. Feel free to ask me any questions, and have a look at my FAQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Hi Magnatom,

Not being smart, but did you pursue the truck driver from that roundabout video? (legally I mean, not in the literal sense). Anything come of that?

Briano

tomasrojo wrote: »
    You can always dress up deference as courtesy.
    Any examples of this (just to help me get my head around how this might work in practice)?

• Advertisement

briano wrote: »
    Hi Magnatom,

Not being smart, but did you pursue the truck driver from that roundabout video? (legally I mean, not in the literal sense). Anything come of that?

Briano

Yes. He has been charged with dangerous driving. I've been told not to hold my breath though as these things take a LONG time. I'll put the video back up when the legal proceedings have come to an end. 2013 I reckon! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

magnatom wrote: »
    Hi Guys! :D

Nice to see I am loved here in Ireland.

I came across a link to this thread and I thought I'd say hi. Feel free to ask me any questions, and have a look at my FAQ

Anything ever come of the driver in 'not one jot, did you report him?

Anything ever come of the driver in 'not one jot, did you report him?
    :D

No, I tend not to report muppets!

Seriously though, there is a misconception about my 'willingness' to report. I've only every reported two drivers to the police in 4.5 years of near daily cycling. One of which was the tanker driver, which if you've seen the video, I think you'll agree was justified!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've got a good and interesting job, a family, quite a few friends and some interesting hobbies not related to cycling.
    Oh dear, you'll not fit in well here at all.

Said hobbies wouldn't be the likes of fettling and moutain biking? That might be just about acceptable.

If they involve running and swimming though that is right out.

blorg wrote: »
    Oh dear, you'll not fit in well here at all.

Said hobbies wouldn't be the likes of fettling and moutain biking? That might be just about acceptable.

If they involve running and swimming though that is right out.

Judo up until recently was my main hobby. I've had to give that up due to injury though, so I've taken up cycling and drinking instead! :)

Running is a no-no, due to said knee and I swim like a brick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

No, I tend not to report muppets!

Seriously though, there is a misconception about my 'willingness' to report. I've only every reported two drivers to the police in 4.5 years of near daily cycling. One of which was the tanker driver, which if you've seen the video, I think you'll agree was justified!!

If you'd actually paid attention to the road and applied your brakes earlier I doubt that incident would have happened irrespective of you having been in the right.

What about that sheep eh ! You could see it a mile away and didn't brake at all. You probably scared the poor bugger with your speed

If you'd actually paid attention to the road and applied your brakes earlier I doubt that incident would have happened irrespective of you having been in the right.

Is this with regards to the tanker incident? If you read my full account of the incident (and you viewed my video) you would be aware that I had eyeball with the driver of the tanker. He appeared to look at me, and appeared to slow on approach to the roundabout. I was well onto the roundabout before he entered.

The fact I was able to stop in time, actually suggests that I was paying attention. Had I not being paying attention, I would not have been here to answer your post.

Gavin wrote: »
    What about that sheep eh ! You could see it a mile away and didn't brake at all. You probably scared the poor bugger with your speed
    :)

Poor judgment call on my part. I'd seen sheep on the road on the way to work, and they hadn't bothered with me. I foolishly let my guard down on the way home and nearly got caught out.

Can't really blame the sheep I suppose! :(:D

In everything I ever write, I always stress that I am not perfect. I make mistakes, and I post them for all to see. I challenge everyone else to have the guts to do the same....:)

You can always dress up deference as courtesy.
    Any examples of this (just to help me get my head around how this might work in practice)?

Well, it's just little things, such as if somebody is tailgating you and trying to push past you on a narrow road, you can pull in and let them pass with a friendly wave; or when you suspect someone on a sideroad is going to pull out even though you have right of way and the main road to yourself, you can hold back and wave them on.

I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but there are plenty of everyday situations where someone is throwing their weight around and you have the opportunity to be the better person. I generally just get ignored, but the odd person appreciates it in a small way.

And Jesus approves of cheek-turning, so it must be a good thing.

And Jesus approves of cheek-turning, so it must be a good thing.

Cue all sorts of "what would Jesus ride?" speculation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Actually the video shows the dangers of animals and cyclists, I believe there
    is a cyclist in intensive care at the moment following a collision with a dog, and a few years ago a cyclist was killed in Cork following a collision with a cat.

chakattack wrote: »
    He needs to chill out!

Someone beeped at him so he stopped in the middle of the road for a row! I usually ignore any unwarranted beeps and they get the message. He's just looking for trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIuNA_1UHoU&feature=related

Just looking back through the thread I came across this post. This is indicative of the rubbish that is posted about me. People often get the facts wrong, or worse still make up the facts. If you look closely at this video, REALLY closely, you might just find that, it isn't filmed in Glasgow, it isn't even filmed in Scotland, and, most importantly....it isn't even me! :)

Traumadoc wrote: »
    Actually the video shows the dangers of animals and cyclists, I believe there
    is a cyclist in intensive care at the moment following a collision with a dog, and a few years ago a cyclist was killed in Cork following a collision with a cat.

Aye it does. That a big part of the reasons form me posting videos, so I and others can learn from my and others mistakes. I get plenty of abuse (including death threats) but I also get plenty of thanks from folk who never thought about the door zone, never understood the problems of cycling in the gutter etc....:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Just looking back through the thread I came across this post. This is indicative of the rubbish that is posted about me. People often get the facts wrong, or worse still make up the facts. If you look closely at this video, REALLY closely, you might just find that, it isn't filmed in Glasgow, it isn't even filmed in Scotland, and, most importantly....it isn't even me! :)

That's fair enough then....imitation is a form of flattery.

Keep fighting the good fight and stay alive. We've all had the same sort of issues with bad drivers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement