Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tech Question

• 04-05-2010 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi,

I need to replace the chainrings on my Trek 1.2, original chainset is a
    Bontrager Sport 53/39. Will I be able to purchase any Shimano chainring or am I restricted to Bontrager chainrings?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

As far as I know you can get rings from any manufacturer as long as you get them for the right chain width - 9 speed, 10 speed etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

right chain width - 9 speed, 10 speed etc.

and correct bolt circle diameter.(BCD) 130mm in this case.

Might be worth noting that if you look around online you can sometimes pick up a new, half decent crankset for similar money to a pair of chainrings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Noangel72

...in fact I noticed that a chainset (for example a Sora doublering) would cost less than the two rings.......I wonder if then I would have to replace the bottom bracket too....and with what model...octalink?...68mm or 70mm????

I wonder if then I would have to replace the bottom bracket too

Depends. BB must match chainset. Imo if bike has enough mileage to wear out chainrings it probably is no bad idea to replace bb while your rooting around in that dept. anyways.

Almost certainly you have english bb which afair is 68mm.

....might wait and upgrade the entire groupset!...thanks for the tips!

• Advertisement

...might wait and upgrade the entire groupset!...thanks for the tips!

Don't want to wreck your head but selling your current bike and buying a new one is sometimes a better option.

Especially this time of year when people are looking for entry level s/h bikes.

e.g If you or someone you know has an axa insurance policy you can get 15% off all bikes in halfords.
    This would then cost 1060 euros.
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_502001_langId_-1_categoryId_212536

If you got 300 for your trek you would have a nice new shiny carbon bike, Sram rival equipped, for a few quid more than a groupset.
    My 2cents.

good point...I was thinking that myself!.....I am also moving back to Italy in a couple of months so I could trade in there for an Italian bike.....I just bought Mavic Aksium wheels so I will either upgrade the groupset now or trade in for a new bike .....don't know yet....but I like the 1.2 Trek frame.....:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Noangel72 wrote: »
    I need to replace the chainrings...
    papac wrote: »
    pick up a new, half decent crankset for similar money to a pair of chainrings.
    ....might wait and upgrade the entire groupset!
    papac wrote: »
    ...selling your current bike and buying a new one is sometimes a better option.

From new chainrings to new bike by post #7. Record?

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

niceonetom wrote: »
    From new chainrings to new bike by post #7. Record?

Seven Degrees Of Planet-X?

• Advertisement

Record?

I was gonna suggest it but I thought 11 speed campag might be a step too far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Hi,

I need to replace the chainrings on my Trek 1.2, original chainset is a
    Bontrager Sport 53/39. Will I be able to purchase any Shimano chainring or am I restricted to Bontrager chainrings?

Thanks.

not sure what bottom bracket you have but this is awesome value if your bcd is 130mm

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2647

I might be interested in going halves if you wanted the chainrings and I could have the crank?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Errm, how do I figure out what BB I have on the bike?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Errm, how do I figure out what BB I have on the bike?

If you can't actually see it, then I'd go by what cranks you have, i.e. they'd only be compatible with a certain BB type.

Advertisement