Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rename a Luas line after Ryan

Options
  • 04-05-2010 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭

Hot on the heels on the foolish suggestion to rename Grand Canal Dock after Gately comes a letter to rename a Luas line after the late Gerry Ryan.

All respect to the man but I really wish people would engage their brain before penning stuff like that. The suggestion that there is any benefit to anyone naming stations or lines after celebrities (F list at that) really is a bit loopy IMO. By all means put his name to something relevant to journalism or RTE: a building there, an award, a statue but a Luas line. WTF?

The lines are named by colours to aid ease of use, especially for tourists. Last thing we need to do is start naming our transport infrastructure after random "celebrities" that no-one outside of Ireland has ever heard of.

Link

MAY I suggest in the most humble and respectful way that we as a people honour the memory of Gerry Ryan, one of Ireland’s best, by possibly dedicating a LUAS or train line in his memory?

In the course of the past few days I have heard people suggest we mount a plaque or create a statue in his memory, but for me, the naming of a LUAS or train line in honour of him might also be an idea.

With regard to a LUAS line, might I suggest the planned connection line between the Abbey Street and Stephen’s Green stations so as to symbolise Gerry’s ability in bringing both the north and south of the city, and the island of Ireland, together?

Should the line, and the idea, go ahead, we will forever be reminded of this good man via his catchphrase: “The Ryan Line is now open.”

He will be sadly missed.

Keith Wynne
    Dublin 24
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Facepalm!

Yes, Ryan's death was sad but get a grip and a sense of perspective, people!

That one has to be a piss-take, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Is it April 1st again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

It could be named the Ryan Line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

^^^ i thinks thats the point of the letter :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

yep i can already see the confusion amongst tourists and people not from dublin if that happened!

Btw wasn't the suggestion to rename docklands station after stephen gately due to its location on sherriff street?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Why is it that as soon as someone dies, everybody forgets that they hated them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

He was very good at what he did and everyone admired and respected that but to name something full of beggars and scumbags after him is no tribute to someone that will be greatly and sadly missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I was never a fan of Gerry Ryan, but his death is a shock to many and respect goes without saying.

However, this heart wrenching BS is just as inappropriate as the disgraceful insults written upon the news of his passing.

He is a person just like everybody else - and deserves the same respect as anybody else!

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Why is it that as soon as someone dies, everybody forgets that they hated them?

Who hated him? You? The guys who thanked your post?

He was hardly everyones cup of tea, but i can hardly see anyone disliking him enough to say they "hate" him. And i include those who thanked your post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

He was hardly everyones cup of tea, but i can hardly see anyone disliking him enough to say they "hate" him. And i include those who thanked your post

Relax. A) I didn't directly mean him. B) We all know the term "hate" barely means anything anymore.

Now, I don't listen to the radio, so I have no opinion on him. However, I have never heard anyone admit to being a fan of his show, I have however heard a lot of people saying "I hate him". I apologise for repeating what I've heard.

Again, I never said I hated him, nor did anyone above. What I (and probably they) have issue with is how we beatify someone for dying. Why are they even talking about naming a Luas line after him? Give one good reason to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If they build a Luas line to Clontarf or Donnybrook, I'll think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I, for one, can't wait for the day I get into a taxi in the city centre and ask the driver to take me to the Larry Gogan Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

personally I switched off every radio or TV that his voice emitted from as quickly as possible.

RIP all the same; the man is deceased after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Surely having a "Ryan Line Luas" would just be cruel on Dublin's large South-East Asian population?

I, for one, can't wait for the day I get into a taxi in the city centre and ask the driver to take me to the Larry Gogan Airport.
    Tom Clarke is going to be unhappy. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0428/1224269221593.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Victor wrote: »
    If they build a Luas line to Clontarf or Donnybrook, I'll think about it.

The Port Tunnel isn't too far from Clontarf. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

amacachi wrote: »
    Surely having a "Ryan Line Luas" would just be cruel on Dublin's large South-East Asian population?

I don't get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Victor wrote: »

can't we just give him a train station like the rest of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭noelfirl

He has one already - Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

noelfirl wrote: »
    He has one already - Dundalk.

well then, nuff said.

Anyway whats wrong with "Dublin Airport", I don't see the point naming transport infrastructure after 1916 figures, or other questionable celebs for that matter.

When was the last time you heard Dun Laoghaire referred to as Mallin? I hear Kingstown more often that that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

Stinicker wrote: »
    I don't get it?

A bit tricky to pronounce I guess.

In any event I am not sure if Luas was the type of line GR was interested in, perhaps preferring to march along instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,951 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Just a minute now

\get coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thetool

the ryan luas line sounds cool. but to be honest i was never a fan of the man, i remember him years ago at the beat in the street.
    i personnally think he was overpaid (550k)for what he did and its my taxes that pays his wages who award these salaries!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

thetool wrote: »
    i personnally think he was overpaid (550k)for what he did and its my taxes that pays his wages who award these salaries!
    I'm pretty sure the revenue he generated for RTE paid his wages 10 fold, not your taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

a 'line' named after Ryan ?

snort.

lets wait for the toxicology report.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bluetonic wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the revenue he generated for RTE paid his wages 10 fold, not your taxes.
    How about the revenue he lost for them too ? There were an awful lot of us who would change channel at the sound of his voice. And it had nothing to do with the show format as I could listen if anyone else covered for him.

Doesn't anyone remember how often he was late for work, or the fuss over a minor pay cut. IMHO he could have had a lot more respect for his audience.

/RANT

If you want to name a line after someone how about Willie Bermingham ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

How about the revenue he lost for them too ?
    What revenue did he lose for RTE? A factual answer would be preference over a hypothetical one.

Folks, lets not go there. Stick to C&T issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

When I die can I have one named after me?

EDIT: Woops, sorry victor

• Advertisement

donvito99 wrote: »
    When I die can I have one named after me?

EDIT: Woops, sorry victor
    Thats actually more valid than some of the previous posts.

Advertisement