Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nudist Beach near Arklow

• 04-05-2010 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Anyone know what the story is with the beach somewhere between Brittas and Arklow, Prob near Sallyount I'm not overly familiar with the area, there is a nature reserve there, loads of horses, sand dunes etc.
    Anyway to get to the point, I went for a walk with my girlfriend there yesterday, walked over a sand dune to be greeted by a man walking with nothing but a hat and a ruck sack on his back.

Then continued to the beach, another man sitting at the higest sand dune wearing only his boxers, another man beside the beach with nothing on at all and onother peering at us from behind a sand dune was obviously naked aswell.

We only saw one female on the beach in the half hour or so we were there (a young asian girl with an older man), all men mid 40's to early 60's walking around and staring at us tracking our every move.
    For me this was all a bit strange and uncomfortable, when leaving we met a family with 4 young girls, I wanted to warn them about what was going on but thought maybe I'm paranoyed so we just left.

Just wondering if this is a frequent thing in the area, I saw no sign saying nudist area or anything like that. I wont be heading back there in a hurry anyway.

Anyone else notice this before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Not sure where you mean exactly but there is a part of the beach that's always been known as a nudist beach. Haven't been myself though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

That part of the beach was traditionally a nudist area. There is no sign because nudist beaches are not recognised by Irish law. Didn't know people still went there but good luck to them I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Had similarish experience a few years back there. as you say, its a nature reserve. I was there to study nature armed with my binoculars and my daughter who was about 4 at the time.
    So here I was following butterlies moths etc and caught sight of someone. I looked through the binoculars and he was clothed on top but bottomless.
    So the next 15 minutes was taken up trying to persuade daughter that actually we're not going to walk to the beach..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

HI, I thought that this nudist section of the beach would have been known far and wide as it achieved the attention of the national media some years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

This nudist beach is endlessly being referred to in the meejah as 'Brittas Bay' - but it really isn't what most beach-bound Dubs think of as Brittas Bay.

AFAIK (not having been myself) it's the stony strip to the south of Mizzen Head, while the long sandy beach of Brittas Bay beloved of those people who find empty aluminium cans too heavy to carry lies to the north of Mizzen Head. I imagine it'd take a fair bit of effort to get to the southern beach, and even on the busiest days the northern beach has acres of empty sand so it's hard to begrudge a few hardy souls this spot.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement