Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scrappage Query

• 04-05-2010 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭

Can I use a family member's 10 year old car for scrappage? It has been in their name for over 2 years and has its NCT. Is is possible for them to buy the new car (I give them the cash) and then simply fill out the back of the Vehicle Registration Certificate to transfer the car into my name? Will that be acceptable under the scrappage rules?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

The new car must be bought in the name of the registered owner of the scrappage car, after that you're free to do as you like. Just make sure that the scrappage car fulfills all the scrappage criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Im sure the family member could avail of the scrappage deal, purchase a new car, register in their name, and then conviently "sell" the new car to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

Thanks guys, EXACTLY the news I was hoping for! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

I'm doing this at the moment. I bought my first car and put it in my mam's name to get cheap insurance. The engine died so I've decided to buy a new car. As soon as it's registered she will fill in the form to transfer it into my name. I'll probably leave it sitting on the garage forecourt though until I'm sure all of the paperwork is sorted. Last thing I want is to crash it on the way home to find the insurance isn't valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedRag

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a query or two on the scrappage system myself.
    Firstly, if my car is written off or beyond economical repair after an accident, can I use this car and get the scrappage on it?

My other question is, if I can use this car, and I need to get it disposed of (need to move it from the parents drive), so I bring it to an End of Life facility, get the certificate of destruction or whatever its called, is the certificate enough to present to the dealer to get the scrappage instead of landing the car on the dealers forecourt.

I'm asking this because I need to get rid of the car soon but don't intend buying for a few months. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Im sure the family member could avail of the scrappage deal, purchase a new car, register in their name, and then conviently "sell" the new car to you!

Of course only works if paying with cash or bank loan - will not be able to transfer a car purchased under finance so it is slightly more restrictive.

Also, most comprehensive insurance policies will replace the car with a new model if written off in 1st year - however car must be 1st registered to the policyholder from new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Is there not a clause somewhere that says the original owner of a car bought under the scrappage shceme has to own it for a certain length of time before it can be transferred to someone else???

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

RedRag wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a query or two on the scrappage system myself.
    Firstly, if my car is written off or beyond economical repair after an accident, can I use this car and get the scrappage on it?

My other question is, if I can use this car, and I need to get it disposed of (need to move it from the parents drive), so I bring it to an End of Life facility, get the certificate of destruction or whatever its called, is the certificate enough to present to the dealer to get the scrappage instead of landing the car on the dealers forecourt.

I'm asking this because I need to get rid of the car soon but don't intend buying for a few months. Cheers.

The cert is enough as long as you have all the other stuff in place, ie, nct cert and insurance certs(last 2 years I think).
    I had my old car scrapped when it packed in and the cert of destruction was good enough(just remember to keep the green copy for the dealer).

Just check with the dealer that you intend buying from first to make sure that they will accept that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Is there not a clause somewhere that says the original owner of a car bought under the scrappage shceme has to own it for a certain length of time before it can be transferred to someone else???

no such clause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

RedRag wrote: »

Two things to watch out for:

1. Make sure you have the old car brought to a certified end of life centre, and get the proper cert.
    2. The new car must be registered within 60 days of the date of destruction. Some new models have to be preordered with delivery dates in excess of 10 weeks, and you cant register the car until it arrives in the country.

If I were you I'd go looking at what car you want and see what the lead time is. If it's going to be a couple of months before you will get delivery then consider paying a small deposit and get the thing ordered. Most dealers will pick the old car up for free if you are ordering a new car from them, and you can arrange for them do do it whenever you want.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

northknife wrote: »
    The cert is enough as long as you have all the other stuff in place, ie, nct cert and insurance certs(last 2 years I think).
    I had my old car scrapped when it packed in and the cert of destruction was good enough(just remember to keep the green copy for the dealer).

Just check with the dealer that you intend buying from first to make sure that they will accept that.

Is it necessary to have had insurance for two years? or even an NCT
    I know someone that has a car sitting on their drive, they say they are planning to trade it in a scrappage scheme? they wont have either? ie they owned the car for years but never renewed the nct (or drove it since)

Advertisement