Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC bridging modem...

• 04-05-2010 10:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

to a router. Will this interfere with the phone line?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

skelliser wrote: »
    to a router. Will this interfere with the phone line?

You don't have a "phone line" with UPC. If you are availing of UPC's phone service, then your phone just plugs into their modem. Your normal IP "data" traffic will still come to your router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Thanks!
    Yes, im availing of the phone service and have been reading about the ****ty cisco router so was planning to by a good router.
    Was just reading on another thread that if you bridge the modem the phone service will not work anymore, maybe i read it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

skelliser wrote: »
    Thanks!
    Yes, im availing of the phone service and have been reading about the ****ty cisco router so was planning to by a good router.
    Was just reading on another thread that if you bridge the modem the phone service will not work anymore, maybe i read it wrong.

Ok, I'll be honest. I'm not sure if the phone service is affected as I don't use it. I use Blueface via UPC. However, I see no technical reason for it to not work.

This is based on you actually just using the term "bridge" to mean that the modem is connected by CAT5 to your router WAN with no other configuration done on the UPC modem. If this is the case, I can't see it being a problem.

As a side, the main reason I use Blueface over UPC phone is that if I decide to move my internet connection from UPC to some other ISP, I don't have to worry about my phone service. I've been with Blueface for a long time and have had no major issues with them.

I used to go from ISP to ISP every 6 months or so because most of them didn't know how to run their network and made shoite of it. Some of them aren't in business anymore.

Advertisement