Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[COMPETITION] Win tickets to Leviathan's UK Election Special in Dublin, Thurs night

Options
  • 04-05-2010 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Looking forward to the UK Election this week? We have tickets for 5 members (with plus one's) for Thursday evening to an Election Special.

Leviathan%20Logo%2010.jpg

The Leviathan Political Cabaret, created in 2003 and hosted by David McWilliams is holding a UK Election Special from 8pm on Thursday May 6 in the D4 Berkelely Hotel. Dublin.
    Join hosts David McWilliams and Amanda Brown from 8pm on Thursday May 6th in the D4 Berkeley Hotel with a panel of experts to review the UK general election campaign, predict results and reflect on what it all means.

brown-cameron-clegg_250220s.jpg

Guests so far include Harry McGee of The Irish Times, Scott Millar of The Examiner, Mary Corcoran of NUI Maynooth, advertising expert Dena Walker, Labour Councillor Killian Forde, John Whelan of the Irish Exporters Association with many more to be announced.

There will be live rolling TV coverage as the results of one of the closest elections in a generation come in, together with musical satire and comedy from Paddy Cullivan and, of course, late pints.

Tickets €15 + booking fee from HERE.
    We have 5 pairs of tickets to be won by Boards.ie Politics Members and we'll have a Boards.ie representative of the forum on the panel for the night!

To be in with a chance to win two tickets, just tell us who your favourite British Politician is and why. The winners will be chosen by the Leviathan team and contacted on Wednesday evening.

Leviathan is hosted in association with Newstalk 106-108. Don't forget, tickets are available here.

Best of luck!

Darragh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Hazlittle

My favourite political leader is Nick Clegg because he is being supported by John Cleese. John Cleese is much better an entertainer than Eddie Izzard, Bill Baily, Micheal Caine or Take That. That and I like some of his policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

My favourite political leader is Nick Griffin. Lets face it, there will always be extremists in the world, and the problem the world faces is that when extremists are rational individuals they gain support. However Nick Griffin's brilliant incompetence gives extremism a bad name, and that is a good thing. Aside from the obvious humour he adds to any real political debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

Tony Benn

"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people."

This is a man who renounced his peerage and actually became more left-wing after being in government.

He's a living legend and a one-man institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

My favourite is Britains most worried astronomer - Lembit Opik. The man has some interesting ideas and gets into some interesting situations, not least him wanting to spend money on Spaceguard in order to detect asteroids...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

George Galloway.

Honest, direct, controversial and highly intelligent. His performance on Sky News in 2006 was an eye opener for many.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=249JaIaubVw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

...................Ken Clarke

_1409289_kc300.jpg

Good old former chancellor Ken Clarke gets my vote, a real character, a 'Real Ale' drinker par excellence too,
    and a walking advertisement for brown hush puppies :) add to that his 'out of step' opinions on Europe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

by miles my favorite politician is Boris Johnson very funny witty and in his own incompetent way charming

but the idiotic facade he shows hides a highly intelligent man who makes the phrase "It takes a wise man to play the fool" very true

i have placed a few bets on the election the biggest being on the 15/8 on there being a hung parliament think my money could be safe there

hope to see you all on thursday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 candysapple

I'm going to make myself the most unpopular person in the room by saying Margaret Thatcher.
    Her numerous mistakes aside you have to admire a politician who unfailingly stands by their principles. It must be similar to the admiration people have for Boris Johnson, it's the opportunity to glimpse uncontrolled madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Camelot wrote: »
    ...................Ken Clarke

_1409289_kc300.jpg

Good old former chancellor Ken Clarke gets my vote, a real character, a 'Real Ale' drinker par excellence too,
    and a walking advertisement for brown hush puppies :) add to that his 'out of step' opinions on Europe!

Is this the reason he became chancellor?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

God, the current crop of politicos are so boring... I'm going to go back a few years and say Alan Clark. The 'coven' of mistresses, his lust for Mrs Thatcher, the diaries... we'll never see his like again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 chowdown

At the moment, my favourite British politician is Manish Sood. Until yesterday, nobody had ever heard of him, but he is the Labour party candidate in North-West Norfolk and he has called Gordon Brown – his party leader – “the worst prime minister we have had in this country.” Apparently, even his own mother has distanced herself from those comments, and his activists have admitted he’s a “dreadful” candidate.

In an era when politics is becoming more focused on soundbites and the development of a sleek media image, it’s really refreshing to see a local politician and election candidate say of his leader’s record in power: “It is a disgrace and he owes an apology to the people and the Queen.”

It’s now unlikely he is going to win his seat, and if he is elected, it’s extremely unlikely he is ever going to hold ministerial office. In the same interview on the BBC he said: “The role of ministers has gone bureaucratic and the action of ministers has gone downhill – it is corrupt.” Sood’s criticism of Gordon Brown and the government certainly reflects what a lot of people think but it’s brilliant that someone chosen by the Labour Party to fight an election for them will come out and say it. Can you imagine which other feathers he will ruffle if he is elected?

So, I vote for Manish Sood and look forward to hearing Gordon Brown apologise to the Queen and to the people for being such a disgrace. I just can’t wait to hear what his mum and his activists will say if he’s elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Wringham

I'm sorry, the greatest living MP is Mr. Denis Skinner, Father of the House and the 'Beast that roars from the Pit'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 i888ti

Uther Pendragon. Best name, and before those Saxon dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ocul

My favourite MP is Anne Widdecombe.

I think she embodies politics - beautiful, articulate, media friendly, sporty, eco-friendly, amazin, great dancer - fast talker, grrreeat cook - Stylish eilish...i could go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Mike Gapes, Labour, Ilford South.

Back in 2006 I did a project about the EAW and contacted a whole raft of Irish TD's and MEP's and a couple of British politicians, explaining who I was, where I was from and what I was doing, the issues raised and asking them for any further comments or insights.

The only person with the decency and common courtesy to even acknowledge my email was Mike Gapes, he went on to give me his opinion on the EAW, various links etc that may be useful to me, and telling me to get in contact again if I needed to no problem. Legend.

Edit- Can't go Thursday, so count me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Noted nudist and famed humorist Sammy Wilson is surely the mightiest British politician.
    Who could fail to love an MP who described ethnic cleansing as 'a valuable return to reality'?
    A Roads Minister who drove with no tax? An Environment Minister who denies climate change? A Finance Minister who oversaw the worst recession in Northern Ireland's history, worse even than during periods of civil unrest?
    What's not to love?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭dryadssaddle

my favourite is Gordon Brown because he calls old women biggots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

God, the current crop of politicos are so boring... I'm going to go back a few years and say Alan Clark. The 'coven' of mistresses, his lust for Mrs Thatcher, the diaries... we'll never see his like again

A proper Tory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

John Prescott cause he stands up for himself
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XTiI1e-wVc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Out of the current crop, I like Mandelson. He is the epitomy of theatrical evil and outright refuses to just f*ck off. I can only imagine the amount of dirt he has amassed on other politicians. For years I thought he was a Tory.

I would probably outright despise him if he was a politician in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

David Cameron

To quote the BBC, "He's a smooth bastard"

EDIT: Really, Nick Clegg.

Up until last week no-one knew who he was. The TV Debates gave him a chance to show Britain who he was. And he came across as a genuine guy who actually has good intentions. Now, it looks like he'll really be calling the shots for the next few years as the Lib Dems will hold the balance of power in a hung parliament

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Clegg, for making this election interesting rather then simply a landslide for the ABL Party (the anyone but Labour party)!

Some interesting choices above! Lots I agree with, and a couple I dont. :)

By the way, I will be along there tomorrow night too so if you are one of the lucky winners, come up and say hello!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

Boris Johnson because I uh, eh, what was the question again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Thanks all!

The winners are
    • errlloyd
    • bucklesman
    • chowdown
    • candysapple
    • Dj Stiggie
    Can you all drop me a PM with your names for the guest list please? It's at 8pm in the D4 Berkeley Court Hotel, as linked on http://www.leviathan.ie

If you can't go, please let me know.

Thanks

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Boo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Shame they can't manage to have a working website.

Advertisement