Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco pricing on Avatar Blu-ray

Options
  • 04-05-2010 9:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I decided to treat myself to the Blu-Ray Avatar DVD for the long weekend so went into Tesco in Arklow to purchase it.
    They have 3 locations within the shop to purchase the DVD yet the only price displayed is €15.95.
    I thought that was too cheap and probably wasn’t for the Blu-Ray version but couldn’t find any other price yet when I went to the check in it came up as €25:95
    I then walked around with the cashier explaining the problem and she called the manager who also walked around with me to find they have no mention of a price for the Blu Ray.
    I asked what can they do for me and they said nothing but thanks for bringing it to their attention.
    I decided not to buy it as I think it’s a deliberate ploy to get people to buy the movie thinking it’s at a cheaper price then scanning it in and just paying the higher price to avoid the hassle.
    Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

tbroughal wrote: »
    They have 3 locations within the shop to purchase the DVD yet the only price displayed is €15.95.
    I thought that was too cheap and probably wasn’t for the Blu-Ray version
    Well, no, as you have pointed out.
    I asked what can they do for me and they said nothing but thanks for bringing it to their attention.
    What did you expect?

You wanted to buy Avatar on blu-ray, there was no price displayed, you asked the price and were told €25.95.
    I can't see the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I decided to treat myself to the Blu-Ray Avatar DVD for the long weekend so went into Tesco in Arklow to purchase it.
    I thought that was too cheap and probably wasn’t for the Blu-Ray version but couldn’t find any other price yet when I went to the check in it came up as €25:95
    I then walked around with the cashier explaining the problem and she called the manager who also walked around with me to find they have no mention of a price for the Blu Ray.
    I decided not to buy it as I think it’s a deliberate ploy to get people to buy the movie thinking it’s at a cheaper price then scanning it in and just paying the higher price to avoid the hassle.

This is the exact same in Tesco (Dunmore Road, Waterford), they have all the Avatar DVDs priced at 15.95 and on the same shelf they had the bluray version, but guess what, no indication of a price. After hearing your encounter, now i know it was not an error, what a fix. They believe that when a customer has gone all the way to a checkout, that the majority of them will go ahaed and get it rather than take it back or make a fuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tbroughal

Well, no, as you have pointed out.

What did you expect?

You wanted to buy Avatar on blu-ray, there was no price displayed, you asked the price and were told €25.95.

I can't see the problem?

Maybe you should read it again???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 little_elle

I can't see the problem?

You must work for tesco's or something.....It is clear that they are deliberately trying to mislead customers.

I had the exact same problem on numerous occasions - esp with their 3 for 2 offers on wine and the likes.

No I don't work for Tesco.

This is a non-issue. The product was not priced incorrectly, there simply wasn't a price displayed.

• Advertisement

No I don't work for Tesco.

This is a non-issue. The product was not priced incorrectly, there simply wasn't a price displayed.

I think it is an issue as I think that Tesco are deliberately misleading customers into thinking that something is cheaper than it actually is and then hoping you won’t kick up a fuss and ask to see the Manager.
    And as you can see from the other post the Price isn’t being displayed in Waterford Tesco’s either.

Are you sure you don’t work for them??

Are you sure you don’t work for them??
    Quite sure.

Perhaps Tesco's POS instructions from head office omitted to instruct stores to print off a SEL for the blu-ray version? That would explain why two stores have the same omission.

Quite sure.

Perhaps Tesco's POS instructions from head office omitted to instruct stores to print off a SEL for the blu-ray version? That would explain why two stores have the same omission.

And yet you still think it’s an acceptable way for Tesco to behave? I wasn’t looking for something for free I did however resent the fact that I had to wait 15 additional mins to have the manager tell me what I already knew having walked around the store with the cashier.
    Anyway he has promised to fix this issue as this happened on Friday so I intend to drop in today to see if it has been rectified or if they are continuing to mislead the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Unless it says "Avatar Bluray €15.95" and you get charged more, you can't do anything about it.

And yet you still think it’s an acceptable way for Tesco to behave? I wasn’t looking for something for free I did however resent the fact that I had to wait 15 additional mins to have the manager tell me what I already knew having walked around the store with the cashier.
    Anyway he has promised to fix this issue as this happened on Friday so I intend to drop in today to see if it has been rectified or if they are continuing to mislead the public.

You have far too much time on your hands.

• Advertisement

You have far too much time on your hands.
    I think it’s perhaps just me expecting to see prices on items that I wish to purchase but perhaps your right and we should all have a member of Tesco staff accompany us around the store informing us of the cost of things.
    It would save a fortune on stickers I think you might just have something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Thread has gone way off,but i have numerous issues with Tesco almost forthnightly!with misleading and or unpriced items and now i do not leave the shop before a full receipt inspection.
    It makes me wonder why their price check scanner has been Out Of Order for some time now :(.
    It`s not just Tesco though,they are all at it!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Moved non-BA related posts to a new thread in Consumer Issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I wasn’t looking for something for free I did however resent the fact that I had to wait 15 additional mins to have the manager tell me what I already knew having walked around the store with the cashier.

If you were given the price at the till, and you knew you weren't going to get any other answer, why did you wait around at all?

The only issue is they should have an SEL for the Bluray discs as well as the DVDs, but they don't. Displaying false prices is something that the NCA investigates, but I don't know if lack of SELs is. If they don't have an SEL for the Bluray when you go back, you could highlight it to the NCA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ClonmelHills

jor el wrote: »
    The only issue is they should have an SEL for the Bluray discs as well as the DVDs, but they don't. Displaying false prices is something that the NCA investigates, but I don't know if lack of SELs is. If they don't have an SEL for the Bluray when you go back, you could highlight it to the NCA.
    They also investigate displaying no prices

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

johndoe99 wrote: »
    This is the exact same in Tesco (Dunmore Road, Waterford), they have all the Avatar DVDs priced at 15.95 and on the same shelf they had the bluray version, but guess what, no indication of a price. After hearing your encounter, now i know it was not an error, what a fix. They believe that when a customer has gone all the way to a checkout, that the majority of them will go ahaed and get it rather than take it back or make a fuss.

There was a price there for the blu ray at 11.00am today when I bought one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

There should be a price for both, or if there is only one price, it should clearly be marked "DVD - 15.99" not just "15.99".

It's the equivalent of putting up a "3 for 2" sticker on a section of dvd's and then at the till saying that some aren't included.

There's no obligation on them to sell them to you at that price, but as someone else said its an NCA issue, but technically Tesco should have the prices distinguished.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They have 3 locations within the shop to purchase the DVD yet the only price displayed is €15.95
    Was this price sticker directly underneath the blu ray section/stack?
    I thought that was too cheap and probably wasn’t for the Blu-Ray version
    Exactly, if you were so in doubt you should have checked the barcodes, you usually only need to check the last few numbers on both products and see if there is a difference. You can also use the instore scanners if the shop has them.

There should be a price for both, or if there is only one price, it should clearly be marked "DVD - 15.99" not just "15.99".

It's the equivalent of putting up a "3 for 2" sticker on a section of dvd's and then at the till saying that some aren't included.

There's no obligation on them to sell them to you at that price, but as someone else said its an NCA issue, but technically Tesco should have the prices distinguished.
    complain to nca op

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There should be a shelf price displayed for the Blu-Ray version. If not, you can make a complaint.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    There should be a shelf price displayed for the Blu-Ray version. If not, you can make a complaint.
    correct. in tesco here i see avatar has two prices. one for the dvd alone and its cheaper if you buy something else as well, think it another dvd

dudara wrote: »

On what grounds?

On what grounds?
    on the grounds that all items must be priced

Some info and how to complain at http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Print-versions-of-guides/NCA-prices-guide.html

on the grounds that all items must be priced

Some info and how to complain at http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Print-versions-of-guides/NCA-prices-guide.html
    Shops have legal obligations to display truthful actual prices, previous prices and recommended prices of their goods and services.

But does this cause non-displaying of the price to be unlawful?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

But does this cause non-displaying of the price to be unlawful?

Yes. The correct price has to be displayed. If the price is non-descript and could confuse, ie if it says "15.95" underneath both DVDs and Blu-Rays with no indication that the 15.95 is for either the DVD or Blu-Ray, then yes it is unlawful.

If the sign says "15.95 DVD" and no price for the Blu-Ray, its fine, but if the sign is non-descript, yes it is unlawful.

Yes. The correct price has to be displayed.
    If the sign says "15.95 DVD" and no price for the Blu-Ray, its fine

You've contradicted yourself there.

You've contradicted yourself there.
    why don't you call the consumer association and ask the law re pricing since you do not seem to believe it here

why don't you call the consumer association and ask the law re pricing since you do not seem to believe it here

lol.

ClonmelHills, can you answer the question?

lol yourself
    lol.

ClonmelHills, can you answer the question?
    yes i could but i won't as it would be a waste of my time. call the nca and they will tell you the law about pricing. Of course they could be wrong, maybe you know more about it than them:D

• Advertisement

lol yourself
    yes i could but i won't as it would be a waste of my time. call the nca and they will tell you the law about pricing. Of course they could be wrong, maybe you know more about it than them:D

Ah jaysus.. :eek:

Advertisement