Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco pricing on Avatar Blu-ray

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ClonmelHills

Ah jaysus.. :eek:
    let us know what the nca say 1890 432 432

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 dolalu

By law all shops are obliged to show the retail price in euro
    Consumer coonect Website - See Q1

'Q1. I was shopping in my local supermarket yesterday and there was no price displayed for some products. Is this legal?
    In general, retailers must display the selling price of every item offered for sale. More specifically, the European Communities (Requirements to Indicate Product Prices) Regulations 2002 requires that all products on sale to consumers must show a selling price in euro and a large number of products that are sold by weight or volume must show a unit price by reference to the metric measure. A price indication should be either on the product itself or on the shelf edge label.
    By law, traders are obliged to display the selling price in euro and in certain circumstances the unit price (the price per kilogram) for all products offered for sale to consumers.

If you are concerned that a retailer is not adhering to the law in this area, please contact the National Consumer Agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@ClonmelHills and Kotek Besar

if you two want to have a lovers' tiff, then please take it to PM.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

dudara wrote: »
    @ClonmelHills and Kotek Besar

if you two want to have a lovers' tiff, then please take it to PM.

dudara

What do you mean by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

You must work for tesco's or something.....It is clear that they are deliberately trying to mislead customers.

I had the exact same problem on numerous occasions - esp with their 3 for 2 offers on wine and the likes.

I worked for them for 5 years and my ould fellla was a store manager for 10 of the last 13 or so years. They don't do what you saying.

• Advertisement

I worked for them for 5 years and my ould fellla was a store manager for 10 of the last 13 or so years. They don't do what you saying.

Quite right. As I mentioned before, sounds like a case of POS instructions sent from head office which omit to instruct stores to print off a SEL for the blu-ray version.

Simple error from Marketing, nothing more. That would explain why at least two stores have the same omission.

I would be more inclined to put it down to incompetence.

I would be more inclined to put it down to incompetence.

Could be that too, seems strange that it's the same in more than one store though.

I didn't say where the incompetence probably occured :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

You've contradicted yourself there.

No I haven't.

If the price clearly refers to the DVD version as in, if the sign says "DVD 15.95" and there is no blu ray price thats fine. But if the sign merely refers to "15.95" without referencing that its only for the DVD, thats not fine.

I haven't contradicted myself, you should read what I said again.

• Advertisement

No I haven't.

If the price clearly refers to the DVD version as in, if the sign says "DVD 15.95" and there is no blu ray price thats fine. But if the sign merely refers to "15.95" without referencing that its only for the DVD, thats not fine.

I haven't contradicted myself, you should read what I said again.

Ok, well your previous post appeared contradictory, but thanks for clarifying.

So it would appear that, in displaying the DVD price but not the Blu-ray price, Tesco have not, in fact, acted unlawfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

So it would appear that, in displaying the DVD price but not the Blu-ray price, Tesco have not, in fact, acted unlawfully.
    Yes, and I would say well over 80% of shops I have been in have acted unlawfully in the same way. It is very common to see items with no prices. As I said before the OP already had a serious doubt so could have simply checked the barcodes to see if they matched, I have to do this frequently enough in all supermarkets as the descriptions are often very vague.

I would beg to differ. These are two different, distinct products, and therefore, Tesco are legally obliged to display two price labels, one for each product.

I would beg to differ. These are two different, distinct products, and therefore, Tesco are legally obliged to display two price labels, one for each product.

Does the law beg to differ? Could you cite your source?

FireballPitcher said:
    If the price clearly refers to the DVD version as in, if the sign says "DVD 15.95"
    (it does)
    and there is no blu ray price thats fine.

Does the law beg to differ? Could you cite your source?

Easily. As a previous poster has posted
    By law all shops are obliged to show the retail price in euro
    Consumer coonect Website - See Q1

'Q1. I was shopping in my local supermarket yesterday and there was no price displayed for some products. Is this legal?
    In general, retailers must display the selling price of every item offered for sale. More specifically, the European Communities (Requirements to Indicate Product Prices) Regulations 2002 requires that all products on sale to consumers must show a selling price in euro and a large number of products that are sold by weight or volume must show a unit price by reference to the metric measure. A price indication should be either on the product itself or on the shelf edge label.
    By law, traders are obliged to display the selling price in euro and in certain circumstances the unit price (the price per kilogram) for all products offered for sale to consumers.

If you are concerned that a retailer is not adhering to the law in this area, please contact the National Consumer Agency.

They must display the selling price of every item - two items, hence two different prices.

Easily. As a previous poster has posted

They must display the selling price of every item - two items, hence two different prices.

I see you've chosen to make bold key words to support your view.

What about:
    In general

So there is ambiguity.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, and I would say well over 80% of shops I have been in have acted unlawfully in the same way. It is very common to see items with no prices. As I said before the OP already had a serious doubt so could have simply checked the barcodes to see if they matched, I have to do this frequently enough in all supermarkets as the descriptions are often very vague.
    I read your post wrongly (never spotted the double negative), I thought you said they had acted unlawfully, which I was agreeing with, and just mentioned that most shops break this law, it is very common.

I see you've chosen to make bold key words to support your view.

So there is ambiguity.

Yes - I chose bold to emphasise certain key parts.

Now if you want the exact law - go use Google and determine it for yourself. You are causing this thread to rapidly expand without adding any value to the discussion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I went into a Tesco there was no price for the Blu Ray asked how much then said no thanks - Case Closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Gregsor wrote: »
    Thread has gone way off,but i have numerous issues with Tesco almost forthnightly!with misleading and or unpriced items and now i do not leave the shop before a full receipt inspection.
    It makes me wonder why their price check scanner has been Out Of Order for some time now :(.
    It`s not just Tesco though,they are all at it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gregsor

jimoc wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

:)

Sorry,are you are calling me stupid?

In posting to the thread i was clearly adding how bad Tesco in my eyes and in my local branch consistently charge the wrong price for items and nearly always the items are overpriced and their bad sign-age is one of the main reasons for this with misleading their customers.

Adding to Malice?

Please explain more,i want something good to read whilst eating my lunch,:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

Two points :

A shop isn't obliged to sell it to you at the price on the shelf - invitation to treat. Just cause it's €16 on the shelf/product at the till that price can then be changed and you've no standing essentially. If there's a campaign of false prices/no prices then you can complain but the amount of shops around with no price stickers on shelf or product not to mention the pubs that don't have price lists in clear display is staggering. I don't think the consumer regulator gives a damn.

Another thing about Tesco .... I bought a of cans of beer there a while ago and the sticker on the shelf said €1.79 or something and they scanned in at over €2 each. I pointed this out just after paying for them and showed the worker where the sticker showed the cheaper price. Apaprently it's store policy to then refund you full amount as compensation or whatever.

So I got my cans free of charge. If you had of bought the Avatar DVD at the till price and the shelf sticker price clearly stated that THAT exact product was cheaper you would've got a refund on the till price you paid AND you'd have kept the DVD.

So... next time, don't whinge until you're actually out of pocket.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

In posting to the thread i was clearly adding how bad Tesco in my eyes and in my local branch consistently charge the wrong price for items and nearly always the items are overpriced and their bad sign-age is one of the main reasons for this with misleading their customers.

Adding to Malice?

Hes calling Tesco stupid, rather than deliberately (maliciously) misleading people. Chill and enjoy your lunch. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Adding to Malice?

Oryx wrote: »
    Hes calling Tesco stupid, rather than deliberately (maliciously) misleading people. Chill and enjoy your lunch. :D

What he said :)

A lot of people assume that when a store have mispriced something its because its a deliberate tactic to screw people out of money.
    Most of the time its because people just mess up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

OP - Have you been back? Is the price still missing? If so, you have a point. If they put the price up, then it was just a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tbroughal

Dropped back into Tesco 2 days later and they still haven’t put the correct price for the Blu-ray version :mad: ive since bought it online so ive given up trying to make the world a better place to shop.

Advertisement