Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time for Rafas goatee to go?

• 04-05-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

I think now is as appropriate a time as any to have this discussion. When Rafa joined Liverpool in 2004 he joined as a fresh faced manager with some new ideas to bring to the premier league. His first season in charge was remarkable in that it landed Liverpool an unexpected Champions League victory, but the overall league performance was poor with Liverpool finishing in 5th some 37 points adrift of eventual champions Chelsea.

Flush with success in the Champions League Benitez made no facial hair changes for the following season and his stubbornness was somewhat rewarded, Liverpool finished 3rd overall with 82 points. Only 9 points off Chelsea in 1st, and having cut their number of league losses by 55% from the previous year. All seemed rosy in the garden.

However a 3rd season of inaction on the growth front saw Liverpools form slump again, and although they managed another 3rd place finish they finished 14 points off their previous seasons target and a whopping 21 points behind eventual champions Manchester United.

The success of their biggest rivals, and the obvious psychological impact on the club led Benitez to abandon his safety razor tactics and in June 2007 he let the goatee grow. This had an immediate positive impact on the club with Fernando Torres signing soon afterwards after commenting that “finally, here is a man that I can follow into the breach” It paid dividends on the pitch as well, although Liverpool could only finish 4th in the league they improved their points tally by 8% and cut the difference between themselves and 1st to just 11 points.

The following season saw the pinnacle of the Goatee strategy, Liverpool pushing eventual winners Manchester United all the way before finishing 2nd on a whopper 86 points, the highest of Benitez’s tenure. Only 4 points off 1st place and with only two league defeats all season.

All of which brings us to this season, it seems that the Samsonite powers of Rafas goatee have finally waned. Liverpool have been lost at sea this season and currently sit in 7th place with only one game left. They will have the second lowest point tally of Rafas reign and have lost 11 games this season. It’s clear that something needs to change.

Sure people will point to such incidentals as net transfer spend, an aging squad, a succession of injuries to top players and general dissent in the camp. However deep down everyone knows that the real issue is the goatee.

I personally think the time has come for the safety razor to be redeployed, for the sake of Liverpool FC and it’s place at the pinnacle of the English game, the goatee must go.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's also time for him to go on a diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Obviously it is a two season strategy but he got greedy the first season see's marked improvement over the last eg champions league with the second bringing the real prize eg last season and the season after champions league when they reached the final again(?) and a high total in the league

I suggest a drastic change in attitude perhaps a handle bar mustache?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Just another symptom of his fractious relationship with gillette.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Then
    article-0-0011D92D1000044C-239_468x321.jpg
    Now
    rafa-benitez_1569067c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Obviously it is a two season strategy but he got greedy the first season see's marked improvement over the last eg champions league with the second bringing the real prize eg last season and the season after champions league when they reached the final again(?) and a high total in the league

I suggest a drastic change in attitude perhaps a handle bar mustache?

I'd prefer a more Spanish approach, maybe a Manuel from Faulty Towers style moustache?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Then
    article-0-0011D92D1000044C-239_468x321.jpg
    Now
    rafa-benitez_1569067c.jpg

I noticed a burger in your sig, how appropriate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Just another symptom of his fractious relationship with gillette.

Quoted for hilarity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Soccer forum hits new low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

No manager with facial hair has ever won the league. What were Liverpool thinking like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's also time for him to go on a diet.

On a serious note, when you look at before and after pictures of Benitez and Guardiola since they took over their respective management posts, it is apparent that those types of jobs can take a terrible toll on your health and appearance. Long hours, high responsibility, diverse range of difficult tasks, extreme stress. Who'd be a manager huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    On a serious note, when you look at before and after pictures of Benitez and Guardiola since they took over their respective management posts, it is apparent that those types of jobs can take a terrible toll on your health and appearance. Long hours, high responsibility, diverse range of difficult tasks, extreme stress. Who'd be a manager huh?

Benitez looks more "English" now I reckon.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

He should go for Xavi (sorry )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rafa was 44 when he took charge and most men age quite dramaticly between mid 40s and early 50s ( thats cheered me up no end :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

mike65 wrote: »
    Rafa was 44 when he took charge and most men age quite dramaticly between mid 40s and early 50s ( thats cheered me up no end :( )

Yeah but Pep was just past his mid thirties when he took over at Barca and is still only 39. Looks like he's aged a score since 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Iago wrote: »
    Time for Rafas goatee to go?

Nope, facially hirsute managers are the way forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

WAAAAAAAAAAAH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Finally a Rafa thread that makes sense .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Totally agree there. Rather than sort things out, A mod instead decides to put this thread up. Says everything that needs to be said about the state of affairs on SF now. As Mike65 says a new low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

its a fucking joke ya pair of dry shites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Totally agree there. Rather than sort things out, A mod instead decides to put this thread goes up. Says everything that needs to be said about the state of affairs on SF now. As Mike65 says a new low.

Or maybe its exactly what the forum needs , well every now and then , to lighten up a bit , too many posters seem to take everything to serious .

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    its a fucking joke ya pair of dry shites.
    No its not. When posters are deciding which threads are suitable for going up and mod then puts up something like that what sort of message is it sending out. I remember another mod taking the piss awhile back on his own forum.
    Again who runs this forum. The posters or the mods. I can't tell at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Des wrote: »
    Nope, facially hirsute managers are the way forward.

In fairness Des, you're a little biased on this matter.

Everyone knows you can't trust a man with a beard, the first question on everyones lips is "what's he trying to hide behind that for?"

Removing it would go a long way towards repairing the trust in the dressing room I think.

No its not. When posters are deciding which threads are suitable for going up and mod then puts up something like that what sort of message is it sending out. I remember another mod taking the piss awhile back on his own forum.

I'll give you a clue, it's certainly not you at any rate.

If you have an issue with a post then report it or take it to PM. Don't clog up the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2010/05/mlb-could-seize-rangers-franchise-to-end-standoff-with-creditors/1 - not only screwing LFC just as the Texas Rangers baseball fans. People need to open their eyes to the true cause to LFC's problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if someone does it in a fashion, like Iago has done, where it's clearly taking the p*ss out of the situation, then i reckon people like yourself need to get a bit of a sense of humour and lighten up.

if that post offends you, then i worry for you.

this is very different to posting multiple threads on one topic, as a certain someone has done in a mad fashion.

in summation, lighten up. it's Tuesday. only a 4-day week this week. the sun's shining. enjoy life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

What a pointless ****ing thread. You go to all that effort and we don't even get a humorous poll to go with it. Boo I say, Boo. Very disappointing especially from a "mod".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

It's like someone caught his fringe and pulled it straight down, and it's not aging due to stress,just stretchmarks.

Spud83 wrote: »
    What a pointless ****ing thread. You go to all that effort and we don't even get a humorous poll to go with it. Boo I say, Boo. Very disappointing especially from a "mod".

Hangs head in shame :(

I've let the side down on this one, no mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Some people's sense of humour has hit a new low...:rolleyes:

On a serious note though, Wenger may well consider growing a goatee for next season for the extra boost it gave the team at the start of its tenure on Rafa's face..

• Advertisement

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Some people's sense of humour has hit a new low...:rolleyes:

On a serious note though, Wenger may well consider growing a goatee for next season for the extra boost it gave the team at the start of its tenure on Rafa's face..
    Time and a place for these threads. This wasn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,111 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

says who?

I do like the goatee though...looks badass. I think a strict gym regime during the close season and we'll see a new man. Buff Goatee Rafa. I'd respect that. I'd respect the shit out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

so when is? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

The silly season has officially started.

If this was Phil Brown's mustache or Fergie's gum or Wenger's suit I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem. Its a thread on the internet, I mean if you don't like it just don't read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Totally agree there. Rather than sort things out, A mod instead decides to put this thread up. Says everything that needs to be said about the state of affairs on SF now. As Mike65 says a new low.

I'd say it's more a case of sour cats, cos he made a rafa thread other people agree with.

• Advertisement

If this was Phil Brown's mustache or Fergie's gum or Wenger's suit I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem. Its a thread on the internet, I mean if you don't like it just don't read it?
    Or Big Sam's earpiece !!

I really don't want to infract people but if we don't stay on-topic from here on out I'll have no choice.

Can we please stick to the key issue at hand here, should the goatee go? If it should, what should it be replaced with, is clean shaven the proven solution or should something a little different be preferred, handlebar mustache for example...

Goatee should go and bring in a Kevin Keegan style mullet

Iago wrote: »
    I really don't want to infract people but if we don't stay on-topic from here on out I'll have no choice.

Can we please stick to the key issue at hand here, should the goatee go? If it should, what should it be replaced with, is clean shaven the proven solution or should something a little different be preferred, handlebar mustache for example...

Would a Hitler esque thatch scare off potential buyers of Liverpool? Or what about a BEARD?

syngindub wrote: »
    Goatee should go and bring in a Kevin Keegan style mullet

^^^

This could work, would require an awful amount of Regaine though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

syngindub wrote: »
    Or Big Sam's earpiece !!

I wonder what he listens to. Radio? IPod? Police scanner?

Prufrock wrote: »
    I wonder what he listens to. Radio? IPod? Police scanner?

No its a direct line to Fergie who whispers sweet nothings down the line...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Someone obviously took the phrase "feed the goat" a bit too literally.

Would a Hitler esque thatch scare off potential buyers of Liverpool?

I'm sure Yossi would love that! :eek:

No its a direct line to Fergie who whispers sweet nothings down the line...
    Okay in keeping with the spirit of things a joke I heard today on Dempsey this morning. Currently doing the rounds at the moment.

Man United have signed a new striker from Nigeria

On his first day of training, Fergie picked up the ball and said 'BALL' then pointed at the goal and said 'Goal. Then he demonstrated a kicking motion and said 'Kick' understand, 'Kick ball, goal, GOOOOOAAAALLL!'

Eventually the young African plucks up courage to say "Excuse me Mr Ferguson but I speak very good English", to which Fergie replies ' Sit down son, I'm talking to Berbatov.'

kinda OT in a thread about Rafa's facial hair, but funny none the less!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The goatee should go to be replaced by the full beard, That could open a new career opportunity for him as a Clement Freud look alike when the inevitable occurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Okay in keeping with the spirit of things a joke I heard today on Dempsey this morning. Currently doing the rounds at the moment.

Man United have signed a new striker from Nigeria

On his first day of training, Fergie picked up the ball and said 'BALL' then pointed at the goal and said 'Goal. Then he demonstrated a kicking motion and said 'Kick' understand, 'Kick ball, goal, GOOOOOAAAALLL!'

Eventually the young African plucks up courage to say "Excuse me Mr Ferguson but I speak very good English", to which Fergie replies ' Sit down son, I'm talking to Berbatov.'

Tis a good one. Unfortunately for you Today Fm regularly seems to take posts off here and pass them off as emails, or texts sent into their show.

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Perhaps side burns would work on there own?

Spud83 wrote: »
    Tis a good one. Unfortunately for you Today Fm regularly seems to take posts off here and pass them off as emails, or texts sent into their show.

Link
    Found it on here as well.
    http://community.manutd.com/forums/t/105327.aspx?PageIndex=4

• Advertisement
Advertisement