Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signed for house - TODAY

Options
  • 04-05-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Just back from Solicitors, signed for a 3 bed semi-d in Dublin today. 270k.

I have been reading this forum and others for months now trying to decide if I was doing the right thing or not.
    I am still not sure if I did the right thing financially - I have a feeling I will be in negative equity pretty soon. I hope they dont fall massivly more.

However, family circumstances dictated and we needed a house. I think/hope it was right for us. 3 kids - need some stability.

Just want to thank everyone for helping me make the good/bad decision.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dresstoimpress

Congrats!!!:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

warrenaldo wrote: »

I have been reading this forum and others for months now trying to decide if I was doing the right thing or not.
    I am still not sure if I did the right thing financially - I have a feeling I will be in negative equity pretty soon. I hope they dont fall massivly more.

However, family circumstances dictated and we needed a house. I think/hope it was right for us. 3 kids - need some stability.

Just wasnt to thank everyone for helping me make the good/bad decision.

If its going to be your home for the next 10-20 years who gives a **** about negative equity?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Well done, anyway. Nothing like a bit of stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Congratulations. As said above.... Negative equity is only relative if your selling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Mate...the price of your house only matters on the day you buy and the day you sell. In between, dont' worry and don't regret it. Congratulations, best of luck in your own home, and don't think about other people's opinions - you're happy and that's what matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Just wasnt to thank everyone for helping me make the good/bad decision.

Well done. While its easy to say forget about negative equity, it may play on your mind even though you are not selling. Just think if you started this thread in 2007, the words '3 bed semi' 'Dublin' and '270k' wouldnt be in the same sentence, unless perhaps the 270k was referring to the deposit :D. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Your gut feeling is right, you will be in negative equity, and possibly quite a bit of it. But you have to do what you have to do, so best of luck with your decision and I hope you're happy in your new home.
    Congratulations. As said above.... Negative equity is only relative if your selling
    the price of your house only matters on the day you buy and the day you sell. In between, dont' worry and don't regret it. Congratulations, best of luck in your own home, and don't think about other people's opinions - you're happy and that's what matters.

NE matters as it is a consequence of buying something whose price has fallen. It costs you money to borrow money. The more you borrow, the more it costs.

Negative equity costs you money because you paid a higher price for something that could have been had cheaper had you waited. Negative equity does matter.

How you play that off against the need for a home or other factors is entirely up to the purchaser, and this case the OP seems to have his reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

OP, I just have 2 questions. What are the montly mortgage repayments and what would the equivalent house have cost to rent?

In relation to the price only mattering on the day you buy and sell! well thats a matter of opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

Monthly repayments - after interest relief will be approx 900 per month.

Renting a similar property - approx 1000 a month (maybe 950)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Congrats OP.

You're doing it for the right reasons and best of happiness and health with it.

I personally didn't post here when I bought,even though I had followed a lot of what was being said at the time on this forum, so that in itself takes balls.

think if the cost of ownership is equal to or less than rent, it may make sense for some people to buy. What was the house going for at peak prices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

At what interest rate, fixed or Var and length of term?

Not sure of the prices at peak levels, but I know they were over the 400k mark at one stage. That was probably close enough to peak.

Its a 35 year term. Im currently variable with AIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

35yr is a very long time. Try overpay now before the interest rates will go up so you could reduce that term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Congrats, I have a 16 month old and the urge to buy was strong a few months ago, decided to wait till early next year possibly unless something comes up.

Can I ask what the asking price was on your property if thats not too personal, just trying to gauge what price properties selling at 270k are being advertised for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Congrats, I have a 16 month old and the urge to buy was strong a few months ago, decided to wait till early next year possibly unless something comes up.

Can I ask what the asking price was on your property if thats not too personal, just trying to gauge what price properties selling at 270k are being advertised for.

Congrats to the OP also.

Would also be interested to hear the original asking for the same gauge. Grateful for a PM if you're not keen on putting this in Public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Blackjack wrote: »
    Congrats to the OP also.

Would also be interested to hear the original asking for the same gauge. Grateful for a PM if you're not keen on putting this in Public.

+1, although I'd understand if you'd rather not say...

Asking price was 325k - I got it for 270k.

I could try overpay now - while Im young(ish) but I reckon I should enjoy the extra money now.

We have extra savings of about 20k, we could put that into the mortgage and reduce the term/amount.
    However, we plan to use this money to enjoy the next few years, and god forbid anything bad happens - we can use the money to fall back on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Renting a similar property - approx 1000 a month (maybe 950)

congrats on your new home.

just wondering how the bank behaved during the process. Did they warn you at all about interest relief being scrapped, or interest rates rising? Anticipated retail rates of 7% will see your repayments rise to in excess of 1,500 a month before long.

Or did you know this yourself going into it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭MRBEAVER

Interest relief is not being ended till 2017. If you really think that interest rates will rise shortly to more than 7% then surely this is an arguement for buying now and fixing.

MRBEAVER wrote: »
    Interest relief is not being ended till 2017.

Year 7 of 35.
    If you really think that interest rates will rise shortly to more than 7% then surely this is an arguement for buying now and fixing.

House prices are directly affected by cost of credit.

Interest rates rise, prices fall.

(Among the rest of the mess we find ourselves in which also factors)

By the way, who is offering fixed for the entire mortgage term in Ireland?

you could fix for 10 years if you really believed rates were going to go that high. surely 7 years is better than no years which is what the OP would get if he waited and spend years more in rented accomadation. "Interest rates rise, prices fall" is ridicolous. Rates are low now and prices are falling. There are many other factors that have a much greater effect prices.

The fact that prices are falling while rates are at historical lows really should be hinting at the armageddon yet to come when rates rise!

You're contradicting yourself now. Your earlier post said "Interest rates rise, prices fall" but prices fell when rates fell and prices were rising a few years ago as rates were rising. fact is there is not much of a correlation between the two historically.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jclare56

congratulations on signing OP!!! i signed for my house yesterday too - its quite a scary thing but I am delighted with the house and the mortgage is less than renting in the area i bought. if you are going to stay in it for the next 10-15 years i really wouldnt worry about negetive equity, as another poster said, it only matters if you are selling, or have bought recently and are trying to sell.

cant wait to get in and start doing it up now!

Actually I also said:

"Among the rest of the mess we find ourselves in which also factors"

But hey, I could be talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

spockety wrote: »
    Actually I also said:

"Among the rest of the mess we find ourselves in which also factors"

But hey, I could be talking nonsense.

I know who I'm backing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Well done on the house OP but I can't help thinking buying a 3 bed while having 3 kids is not really ideal, certainly as they get older.

I would not have bought yet but thats just me and I'd be surprised if I ever buy here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

spockety wrote: »
    Year 7 of 35.

Hadn't realised this:o

Could one calculate these future repayments, say at a guessed "informed" interest rate?

Advertisement