Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Duathlon Series

• 04-05-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭

You know the Summer is relaly here when the Duathlons in the Park start - looking forward to tomorrow night :) Who else is doing this?

I'm in the fast wave myself, really REALLY hope I don't finish last in it....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I'll be marshalling. Best of luck to all taking part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Didn't know about this so thanks a mil, will be there on June 2nd!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Looks like a great event and I'd love to do it.

In terms of the classification, what would be the distinction between beginner and medium?
    ie. to break through from easy to medium how fast would you need to be completing 2.7km, and 8km seperately, then the entire track overall?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Jk_Eire wrote: »
    Looks like a great event and I'd love to do it.

In terms of the classification, what would be the distinction between beginner and medium?
    ie. to break through from easy to medium how fast would you need to be completing 2.7km, and 8km seperately, then the entire track overall?

Many thanks.

I did 42.30 last year and will likely be at the rear end of the fast field. The 2.7 km will be covered in about 9 - 10 mins by me. I would think if you'll be doing this in anything less than 7.5 mins / mile, you can safely go into the medium group. And this group will challenge you more, if nothing else. You can go into the beginner group next time around if they're way outside your level.

I'm not sure about time estimates on the bike, it's a tough enough little loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

christeb wrote: »
    I did 42.30 last year and will likely be at the rear end of the fast field. The 2.7 km will be covered in about 9 - 10 mins by me. I would think if you'll be doing this in anything less than 7.5 mins / mile, you can safely go into the medium group. And this group will challenge you more, if nothing else. You can go into the beginner group next time around if they're way outside your level.

I'm not sure about time estimates on the bike, it's a tough enough little loop.

Thanks christeb.

Will be putting on the running shoes later for some time trials.
    Optimistically guessing I could do it in less than 55 mins.
    Might go with beginner as a first timer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

In the medium group myself but will be taking it easy and using it more for training for an upcoming 10k on Sunday,3 more of these to come yet this "summer" anyway!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Doing this tomorrow too and was looking forward to it till this eve when i hurt my back :( really hope to be ok. Although I think i've made a big mistake! put myself in the fast, last year my best time was 44min 30sec. Although I hope to be faster this year, i'm a little worried now on two fronts! Anyway i'll be fine, the main thing is that it stays nice and dry and everyone has a safe race!

42.55 for me, 27 secs outside my PB. *looks for excuses* was the transition longer this time around?
    Some great back and forth with the bike lads, especially on the windy bits, I would tend to pass people out here and they come back at me on the uphill home straight. I was weak on the 2nd run though, lost out a few places there.

Really enjoyed it, for anyone that hasn't done one I highly recommend them, the sense of tiredness you feel after the bike is something incomparable to any run.

Looking forward to June already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

First time doing anything like this for me. Went ok in the beginners event. Not having run in 6 or so weeks the second run killed me but only lost one place during it.

Missed this cos of illness:mad: Went up for a look and it seemed to run off smoothly,results and pics up already,roll on June:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

christeb, any clue as to what sort of bike speed you did and whther you lost/gained places.

I ll prob try hop into the medium group for the next one.

If your up for a spin later let me know i ll be going out for approx 2hours

kennyb3 wrote: »
    christeb, any clue as to what sort of bike speed you did and whther you lost/gained places.

I ll prob try hop into the medium group for the next one.

If your up for a spin later let me know i ll be going out for approx 2hours

I'm giving blood tonight, no athletic pursuits allowed!
    I'll upload the Garmin stats later, I gained a few places on the bike though. Results page (I'm in 39th place), my bike split seems to be a bit faster than the guys around me. And I'm suposed to be a runner :confused::confused:

Here's a pic to finish off (gurning warning!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

If the bike leg wasnt short thats some average speed (39km/ph).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 tommysparks

That was a class race yesterday evening. Great idea having the groups racing 15 minutes apart.
    And the rain held off too:)
    role on June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'm thinking of the June one.

Just got my bike a few weeks ago and the Wed evening would suit me.........i'm off to buy a bike rack for my jeep !!!

I had a look at the times and about 1hr looks like what i'd be able for it seems like an ok time for a 1st timer.

I think i'll enter now !

kennyb3 wrote: »
    If the bike leg wasnt short thats some average speed (39km/ph).

It may be a bit short, I'll analyse the data over the wknd (it'll keep me away from the books for a while). I'm up for a cycle early Sunday (like 8/9am) if you fancy it, Howth will wake you up!

I'm thinking of the June one.

Just got my bike a few weeks ago and the Wed evening would suit me.........i'm off to buy a bike rack for my jeep !!!

I had a look at the times and about 1hr looks like what i'd be able for it seems like an ok time for a 1st timer.

I think i'll enter now !

Go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

That was a class race yesterday evening. Great idea having the groups racing 15 minutes apart.

the only effect was not to be sure who you were racing against (and separable results would have been nice (minor quibble though))

well run event

Everyone ready for this tomorrow?

My training has only been mediocre the last month so I'll settle for something similar to last time, hopefully getting close to the 42.30 PB....

Finally getting to do one after coming down with the flu in May,looks like weather will be warm and a welcome change from the Baltic like alivoutside ones earlier in the year:) In the second wave myself.

I had a back injury in May and followed that up with a bout of pneumonia, so practically no training for 3 weeks! Im in the fast wave so going to ask can I change to medium if I do it, make a decision tomorrow, only got back training yesterday. Really hope to and I loved these last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Whats avg time for the medium bike and run ????

Doing this tomorrow, looking forward to setting a marker for the July race

dario28 wrote: »
    Whats avg time for the medium bike and run ????

May results are here so you can get a feel for the race.

@ElD - what time do you think you'll get around in? Your training seems to have been good before your lay off, if you can do a time around 45-47 mins I'd say you'll be fine for the fast wave.

The weather should be nice alright, I'm sacrificing a night of study and am therefore inching closer to a fail but it's worth it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

Signed up to take part in this tomorrow. First time doing a duathlon and don't have a clue what to expect! Any advice for the bike leg? I imagine the running should be kept at a steady pace but should I be trying to cycle as hard as I can for the whole thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Peckham

For some reason I cannot even explain to myself, I'm having a stab at this tomorrow. My most recent cycle racing experience was a "slow bike" race (do they still do these? If not, why not?) back when I was 11 years old...and my only cycling this year was a 4 mile cycle to/from the pub on St Patrick's Day.

Am treating it as an interval session - two fast runs, with a "leisurely" cycle in between.

Should be fun though. :p

Peckham wrote: »
    For some reason I cannot even explain to myself, I'm having a stab at this tomorrow. My most recent cycle racing experience was a "slow bike" race (do they still do these? If not, why not?) back when I was 11 years old...and my only cycling this year was a 4 mile cycle to/from the pub on St Patrick's Day.

Am treating it as an interval session - two fast runs, with a "leisurely" cycle in between.

Should be fun though. :p

Woooah, we'll be graced with Peckham's presence! I wonder do I have a shot a beating you?? You're obviously going in the fast wave to give me a chance??

@ElD - what time do you think you'll get around in? Your training seems to have been good before your lay off, if you can do a time around 45-47 mins I'd say you'll be fine for the fast wave

Thanks for that Chris. Well in May I would have been aiming for 43mins but that was when everything was goin well. I don't want to be pushing it too hard tomor as doc said to easy back, I fear I would start to push it if I went with the fast guys. You doing it tomor man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Been threatening to do one of these for a while so nows the time I think.

I wonder do I have a shot a beating you?? You're obviously going in the fast wave to give me a chance??

eh, looking at your result from last time, you have more than "a shot" at beating me. Not sure which wave I should be in - naturally my cycling will be pants (although on a reasonably decent road bike), and relying on fitness alone to get me round the cycle route (before I fall over due to wobbly legs on the 2nd run). Have never done a bike-run transition, so that should be amusing for any spectators.

Also, I haven't registered yet. Presumably I'll be okay if I just turn up in advance tomorrow?

• Advertisement

eh, looking at your result from last time, you have more than "a shot" at beating me. Not sure which wave I should be in - naturally my cycling will be pants (although on a reasonably decent road bike), and relying on fitness alone to get me round the cycle route (before I fall over due to wobbly legs on the 2nd run). Have never done a bike-run transition, so that should be amusing for any spectators.

It's great fun, you'll experience a feeling in your legs you've never felt before. My mentaility on the first run is - just get to the end and I can take it easy on the bike, and then it's likewise on the bike. My cycling training consists of journeys to / from work, it's hardly structured - you'll be grand in the first wave.
    Also, I haven't registered yet. Presumably I'll be okay if I just turn up in advance tomorrow?

Yep fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

Just tried to register online and entries have closed for tomorrow night.

Can anyone confirm if places will be available tomorrow night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

It says on the website that you can register on the night once the 400 entry limit hasn't been reached. There's 326 down on the entry list so you should be good to go. I'm contemplating doing it aswell.

yeah you'll be fine, if you're worried you can register in Runways on Parnell St up to about 3pm if I recall the email

Wheres the registration place at the venue

and

Whats the best way to get to the registration from Stephens green without getting killed on the quays ?

dario28 wrote: »
    Wheres the registration place at the venue

and

Whats the best way to get to the registration from Stephens green without getting killed on the quays ?

Reg is beside the Papal cross car park - you'll smell the noobs on their shiny carbon bikes before you see 'em!

The quays are fine to get there, make your way to Christchurch and they're normally quiet enough from there to the Park

• Advertisement

you'll smell the noobs on their shiny carbon bikes before you see 'em!

oi, my bike is neither carbon nor shiny....nor do I smell unusual in any particular way.

Keep an eye out for the Boards AC top, that's how you'll spot this noob!

oi, my bike is neither carbon nor shiny....nor do I smell unusual in any particular way.

Keep an eye out for the Boards AC top, that's how you'll spot this noob!

I'll be on the yeller spaceship!

I'll be on the yeller spaceship!

That gives me a target to aim for during the cycle! Are those puncture resistant tyres?! ;)

42.40 ish for me, I was GPS-less so happy with this. Was stronger on the last run, with a decent bike and the first leg was about the same as last week. A great night for it, and thoroughly enjoyable as always. Just need to take 15 secs off for a new PB, I'll get it next month :)

Edit: after 2,5 weeks hols in Colombia - maybe not!!!

Great to be back racing again after my bout of pneumonia and although only got back to training on Monday still a PB. Missed last months due to back injury. Was in the fast wave and wanted to change but decided to go for it at the last minute. First run I felt sluggish but settled into it on the bike. Second run was really tough, but stuck in there for 43:10. Really happy with that but now a bit worried now about triathy on Sat, especially if its hot.

Saw Needs Training there and he was absolutely flying it! Needs training my ass!

Well done Chris great time there too! Wish I could have another crack at this but alas I won't be around for next months and then August's is a bit different.

• Advertisement

4955 for me,I detest the bike course due to the downhills and hairpins as i can only climb (sort of),tried to make up time on the uphill bits but didn't get much back-(wished we went up the Kyber instead).Passed maybe 8 in second run and first time doing a Belpark one so enjoyable evening :)

48:3X for me. Runs were strong, bike was pants.

Went in the 2nd wave, and was 4th in the run and (I think) 1st out of transition. But it went downhill from there....didn't have a clue what I was doing on the bike, couldn't get the gears right, and the whole thing was pretty slow. Thoroughly enjoyed the second run though - lots of rabbits to be caught and think I overtook about 15-20 people.

They should make the event a 2 lap run - 2 lap cycle - 2 lap run. :D

Overall, very enjoyable experience.....but €30 entry fee? :eek: I know I could have gotten it cheaper if I registered in advance, or had TI membership but can't see how €30 is justified. No water or anything at finish line. Are the costs of staging the event that high?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

El, NeedsTraining needs plenty of more training.

Very warm out there tonight, but very enjoyable.
    Finished in 41:41 and happy with that.
    Wondering will I ever break the magic 40 min mark.

Great evening for a race, 2nd duathlon so went in the medium wave , went round in about 42/43mins I think...have to see the spreadsheet tomorrow for official time

Christeb I noticed your yellow spaceship across from my bike in transition , ill say hi next time

Bike was strongest reeled in a good few on that - need work on transition and the 2nd run fitness , tried to keep under 4min kms but the last straight was a killer

Slight negatives...few durty drafters on that course and a bottle of water would have been nice at the end

Overall very happy even enjoyed the 20km bike home after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Well done to all.
    That's was a fine evening in the park. Watched this second 2010 duathlon from the side line again as i am still recovering from injury I picked up in March!! Getting there though, i should be grand for July race.

I was very impressed by this dude (#65) who finished run1 in....7min50sec (1st):eek:, them climb on his crappy bike (sort of city-ish bike), went around in 24min, (lost 6min from the lead), and then posted again the best time for run2 to finish 40th overall. This guy ran overall 1min05sec faster than the winner
    I would like to see him next time around with a decent bike...Well done to you.

:eek: I even look slow on my bike :eek:

...and maybe taking the lock off it before the race would have been a good idea! :o

Splits positions--think the bike could do with some work:(
    (140)/(210)/(103)

:eek: I even look slow on my bike :eek:

...and maybe taking the lock off it before the race would have been a good idea! :o

We need to work on that set-up, your saddle is far too low, even for a short ar$e like you! Well done on the runs though, it's a dear race alright, but €10 is directly for insurance as I recall

Are the results online yet? Can't see them on the website - where are others getting their splits positions from?

I've a lot to learn about the bike bit. Was totally clueless on gearing, and the bike needs a bit of maintenance work!

Are the results online yet? Can't see them on the website - where are others getting their splits positions from?

I've a lot to learn about the bike bit. Was totally clueless on gearing, and the bike needs a bit of maintenance work!
    Here you go :
    http://www.irishtriathlon.com/index.php/2010/06/runways-duathlon-phoenix-park-june-2010/

• Advertisement
Advertisement