Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Duathlon Series

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,549 ✭✭✭Peckham

Run 1 - 28th position
    Run 2 - 19th position

Cycle - 262nd position :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

christeb wrote: »
    We need to work on that set-up, your saddle is far too low, even for a short ar$e like you! Well done on the runs though, it's a dear race alright, but €10 is directly for insurance as I recall
    Not too expensive if you have a TI license and signed up for all 4 :

"Products on order: 1 x Runways Duathlon Series 2010 - €63.83 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Peckham wrote: »

Cycle - 262nd position :o

As christeb says your saddle looks way too low and your knees are up around your neck cycling. put the saddle up so that your legs are fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke (but not stretching).

But the bike in the big ring (biggest at the front and use the strenght in your legs)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Disgraceful transitions for me 48th over all.....

00:09:48 (053) 00:01:04 00:20:45 (053) 00:00:54 00:10:56 (054) 00:43:25
    2nd duathlon so suppose the transitions will improve with practice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

well done all. I was marshalling and was very envious of all you racing on such an evening. I'm doing the next two so the weather better be like that for those!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭TomD101

Took part in my first duathlon last night and it was v enjoyable with the weather being perfect. I hadn't mentally prepared myself for how tough it was going to be - doesnt look half as bad on paper than it actually is! Finished with a time of 51:29. Don't know if this is good or bad but going on the results it looks below average!

First run was 11:29. The bike was definitely my weakest part - I wasn't sure how fast I should be going as I didnt want to burn myself out and on the first lap I was getting used to the course, had no idea what turn came next and was going wide around bends and freewheeling down hills etc! Got passed by a good few people. Picked up the pace a lot more for the next two laps and was flying around on the last lap. Given that I'm new to cycling I could probably do with a few pointers, do people go flat out for the whole time they are on the bike in triathlon's or do the conserve energy at any stage. Also my lower back was starting to get sore on the last lap, dont know why this was the case as it never happened to me before. Bike leg came to 25:02 which looks a pretty poor time. Felt strong for the last part of the run and picked off a few runners to finish 12:43.

How long should I be aiming for in transition? I took around a minute for both of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done all, out of curiosity what are the distances on the runs and bike? thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

TomD101 wrote: »
    Took part in my first duathlon last night and it was v enjoyable with the weather being perfect. I hadn't mentally prepared myself for how tough it was going to be - doesnt look half as bad on paper than it actually is! Finished with a time of 51:29. Don't know if this is good or bad but going on the results it looks below average!

First run was 11:29. The bike was definitely my weakest part - I wasn't sure how fast I should be going as I didnt want to burn myself out and on the first lap I was getting used to the course, had no idea what turn came next and was going wide around bends and freewheeling down hills etc! Got passed by a good few people. Picked up the pace a lot more for the next two laps and was flying around on the last lap. Given that I'm new to cycling I could probably do with a few pointers, do people go flat out for the whole time they are on the bike in triathlon's or do the conserve energy at any stage. Also my lower back was starting to get sore on the last lap, dont know why this was the case as it never happened to me before. Bike leg came to 25:02 which looks a pretty poor time. Felt strong for the last part of the run and picked off a few runners to finish 12:43.

How long should I be aiming for in transition? I took around a minute for both of them.

my transitions are n't the best either, I took on water at both which I needed last night. Concentrate on taking your cycling shoes off before you get into T2, have all your stuff arranged properly, elastic laces etc all help

On the cycles - get to know the route, you can peddle though (almost) all the turns, which really helps in picking up places on the bike.
    Woddle wrote: »
    Well done all, out of curiosity what are the distances on the runs and bike? thanks
    ~1.6m run 8m cycle 1.6m run

to add to that on how hard to go it really depends on the individual but those duathlons are quite short and generally id be going damn close to max. The more you do the more you'll understand your ideal pace.

I wouldn't have thought water would be required for such a distance? I dont take anything for races up to sprint tri's. FOr olympics i feel 1 gel and a drink is enough. everyone's different but i doubt you actually need that water in the phoenix park duathlons. That s as long as you are fully hydrated starting etc (and not over hydrated which i use to always do!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Bambaata wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought water would be required for such a distance?
    me neither, though i saw a competitor with a hydration backpack (camelbak)...if it works for them, why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

This question is dragging the thread off on a tangent - sorry. But Bambatta just wondering how to find the balance between fully hydrated and over hydrated. I feel I may be doing the races over hydrated? Cheers.

My comment regarding water was not meaning that I needed water during the race, but that I find it hard to justify the €30 price without these nice extras.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe duathlons do cost a lot more to stage than a running event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Macanri wrote: »
    This question is dragging the thread off on a tangent - sorry. But Bambatta just wondering how to find the balance between fully hydrated and over hydrated. I feel I may be doing the races over hydrated? Cheers.

Under hydrated your pi$$ is yellow , over hydrated you die.....

Macanri wrote: »
    I feel I may be doing the races over hydrated? Cheers.

If needing to go to the toilet/digestion issues is negatively impacting on your performance, then you may be overhydrated. If not, then you're fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Peckham wrote: »
    I've a lot to learn about the bike bit. Was totally clueless on gearing, and the bike needs a bit of maintenance work!
    Take off the bike lock and any other unnecessary weight.
    You seem to have slick tyres so just make sure that they are pumped hard.
    911sc wrote: »
    I was very impressed by this dude (#65) who finished run1 in....7min50sec (1st):eek:, them climb on his crappy bike (sort of city-ish bike), went around in 24min, (lost 6min from the lead), and then posted again the best time for run2 to finish 40th overall. This guy ran overall 1min05sec faster than the winner
    I would like to see him next time around with a decent bike...Well done to you.
    When I saw him take off at start I figured he was going to run out of steam after a few hundred metres - I'll admit I was being a snob because I made this assumption because he wasn't dressed like the normal leaders.

I passed him on lap 3 of the bike and had to look twice to be sure it was him.

Halfway through the 2nd run I looked back to see if anyone was close behind, but there wasn't anyone for a good distance. At the last turn I heard someone right behind - it was #65. Fantastic running.
    He should do a relay with someone who is even reasonably good on the bike.

• Advertisement

daymobrew wrote: »
    Take off the bike lock and any other unnecessary weight.
    You seem to have slick tyres so just make sure that they are pumped hard.

The bike lock was a bit of an oversight. Mrs Peckham brought the bikes in from home, and I met her in Phoenix Park. I had forgotten the lock was on it, and had left the keys at home.

I purchased a pump from Wiggle last night. My attention to bike maintenance has been non-existant up to this point!

Yeah that no. 65 surprised lots! Some serious running from him. Anyone know him from running circles? Doesnt seem like he just dragged himself from the couch anyway!

On the water thing: For me i just drink plenty until about 90 minutes out from a race and go to the toilet as often as is possible. In the 90 mins to start ill barely sip, just to satisfy the nerves going on which cause me to get a dry mouth and would usually spit that out. Last year i over-hydrated for most races, taking as much water as i could up to the start and i found it effected my performances. I think ive cracked what i need now (although ill still make slight variations here and there). Same with regard food. I played around with different foods and times to take it before a start and also feel i have a much better handle on that now too. I think experience will let you know but i got all this information from reading people's comments/experiences on things on here and then playing around with what works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Bambaata wrote: »
    On the water thing: For me i just drink plenty until about 90 minutes out from a race and go to the toilet as often as is possible. In the 90 mins to start ill barely sip, just to satisfy the nerves going on which cause me to get a dry mouth and would usually spit that out.
    45 mins before race start I was busy stuffing my dinner down my throat.

lol. those wednesday races are exceptions ;-). better to eat than not eat at all after work! im like that with training. generally ill try eat/drink as i should do for training but it rarely is possible with work.

It's Duathlon Wednesday again - who's doing it tonight? With 3 weeks of exams / casual alcoholism / no training since the last one, I'll be delighted with anything under 43 mins....

• Advertisement

I'll be there again hoping to get under 50 like last time (just about).Hopefully the wind will have died down as forecast as it was very bad going down the Kyber yesterday evening.Pity it is clashing with the WC semi but we can give the rest of our days watching sport and not competing.I'll try for 2 decent runs to make up for a certain poor bike leg.:o

ill be there. havent done much since Sunday so not sure how i'll fair! some serious contenders lining up too. should be interesting to see who wins!

I wonder will the mystery runner from last time out competing? Overcast and windy enough out there, hopefully it'll be nice later. Who am I kidding - it never rains on Duathlon Wednesdays!

I wonder will the mystery runner from last time out competing? Overcast and windy enough out there, hopefully it'll be nice later. Who am I kidding - it never rains on Duathlon Wednesdays!
    I was waiting for the second wave to start and saw him coming up the straight on the first run and he was so far ahead i thought he wasn't in the race!All the serious looking guys were in his wake, i have been spectating for the last 2 years at these and never saw anything like him :eek:--a "Robin Hood" of running!!
    http://sindar.net/iuaa/results/athlete/1138/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Doing this tonight as a totally newbie and to vary my training. I cycle to work and do a good bit of running so the two together should be interesting.

I think the last running leg will find me wobbling all over the place after i get off the bike. Did the Raheny Lord Mayor's race last night so legs a bit tired this morning so no idea what time i'll do it in. I'll take it as i go.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Doing this tonight as part of training for Geal Force. Does anyone know where the bike drop & start line are in the Park?

chinguetti wrote: »
    Doing this tonight as a totally newbie and to vary my training. I cycle to work and do a good bit of running so the two together should be interesting.

I think the last running leg will find me wobbling all over the place after i get off the bike. Did the Raheny Lord Mayor's race last night so legs a bit tired this morning so no idea what time i'll do it in. I'll take it as i go.

How did you do last night? I see there was 77 people out for it - great to see.
    smurphy29 wrote: »
    Doing this tonight as part of training for Geal Force. Does anyone know where the bike drop & start line are in the Park?

Yep - it's right beside the Papal Cross, from there just follow the smell of overpriced carbon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I'll be there or thereabouts, 1st ever race of any sorts in years so I'll be wildly optimistic in hoping for a sub 55min finish!

Anything over that any you can be damn sure I'll be blaming the wind/rain/God/Jesus/the recession :p

Oh and 2 questions - is there changing areas or do most people show up togged out?

And is the bike transition area safe to leave gear? I'd guess that it is but just wanna make sure.

*Gear being water bottles, sunglasses if needs be etc... not heroin :)

connundrum wrote: »
    I'll be there or thereabouts, 1st ever race of any sorts in years so I'll be wildly optimistic in hoping for a sub 55min finish!

Anything over that any you can be damn sure I'll be blaming the wind/rain/God/Jesus/the recession :p

Oh and 2 questions - is there changing areas or do most people show up togged out?

And is the bike transition area safe to leave gear? I'd guess that it is but just wanna make sure.

*Gear being water bottles, sunglasses if needs be etc... not heroin :)

I could do with some smack for that last lap actually! People show up togged, they all leave their gear in the trees beside the transition - seems safe enough

Christeb, i did it in 12.35 which was about 25 seconds what i did a fortnight ago. Decided to run the first leg at a calmer pace and managed to pick off a few in front in the second lap which is a nice change. Great for speed work and much nicer than doing speed sessions on my own so well done on Raheny Shamrocks

Great crowd alright and i'll be back again in a fortnight for another spin.

• Advertisement

chinguetti wrote: »
    Christeb, i did it in 12.35 which was about 25 seconds what i did a fortnight ago. Decided to run the first leg at a calmer pace and managed to pick off a few in front in the second lap which is a nice change. Great for speed work and much nicer than doing speed sessions on my own so well done on Raheny Shamrocks

Great crowd alright and i'll be back again in a fortnight for another spin.

Good stuff - if you're interested in doing some speed work with us fellow "Shamrockians" we do a good session on a Sat morning in Santry Demense. Would you ever consider joining a club?

42.36 para mí, almost identical to last time. This time there was a stronger wind though, so I'm delighted with the time. Great crown as usual, I wore the Raheny gear and got a few nice shouts on the way around. I faded a bit in the run but pipped the 3rd Female home on the home straight which was nice as we were back and forth all the way from the 2nd bike lap.

Thanks to Brian Crinion and the volunteers again, I had a blast as usual

4937 for me so about 20 secs up on last time,had a good second run passing 10-15 to make up for another horrific downhill bike section.Very enjoyable though and well done to the organisers.Only bad part was the wind which made going down the Kyber a bit hairy for me at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Actually delighted I finished it and bet the fantasy goal I'd set. I think with about another 2 months work I'd have it at 46-47 mins.

Great event, very well organised. Fair play!

Ps. Damn you wind!!

Edit:

00:53:21 R1 - 00:11:50 T1 - 00:01:33 C - 00:25:11 T2 - 00:01:17 R2 -00:13:29

A bit slower than my watch caught but howandever.

Delighted with the run times, can't believe there was only 1m 40 between them as R2 felt like it took ages and my legs felt like lead!

I know that I can deffo pick up time on the cycle and transitions. Extremely happy for my 1st event :)

Well 49.15 for me and enjoyed it. Well done to the organisers, a fine job done by all. The cycling let me down but as a first time doing it, i'm thrilled with my time as i was hoping for under an hour. The pain in my legs and behind when i came off the bike was something else.:eek:

I think i passed out about 12 or so on the last running leg which was a bit of a change and good for the morale when you're tired. The wind was ok for the run but tough for the cycle. Flying downhill on a closed road is like been a kid again.

Did anyone meet the idiots cycling down against everyone on Military Road, i hope someone didn't crash into them coming down the Kybher

Fair credit to the winner, 35 minutes and change is some going. Have to say there was some serious bikes there tonight.

Great night for racing. I wasn't feeling that up for it but very happy i did it now. I'm giving myself a small break this week so i had only done one 40 min Z1 cycle on Monday since Sundays race. Was still feeling very tired from Sunday but strolled up anyway as i had free entry for marshalling at the last ones. Last year my best time was 40:23 and it was one of the first chances i had to compare progress from last year.

Run1:
    The pack went off at a blistering pace. I wasn't feeling great at all and noticed i did the first km in 3:00!! At that point Bryan Keane sauntered on past like it was a gentle jog! I took it back slightly as my legs were aching from Sunday gone and i knew id be in trouble later on if i tried to maintain it. So finished run1 in 08:47 for 17th quickest.

Bike:
    I was feeling dreadful again on the bike but did my best to maintain intensity. I passed a fair few on the first climb which was encouraging. Im not generally a good climber but ive taken the approach that i need to suffer more to maintain speed as best i can. Then the headwind hit around the S-bends. One poor guy took the first bend too wide and ended up coming of on the grass. He seemed ok though as he had slowed down a lot before coming off on the embankment. Again caught more on the climb beside Mary's hospital. Id been told that to manage that lap in 6:00 id be doing extremely well and so lap one in about 6:20 was great as id had nothing in me last night. Somehow laps 2 and 3 were actually slightly quicker and i posted a 18:52 bike (7th fastest).

Run2:
    I had passed 3 more at Marys on the last bike but knew they were very very very good runners (all posted top 10 second runs) so holding them off was never going to happen. I had nothing in me and felt like dinner wanted to come back up a few times but i battled on. Wave 3 began just as i got onto the run course and it made for an interesting run. I knew there had to be more from my wave mixed in with it and thus I made sure i had at least 30 to 40m of clearance so that nobody could sneak up on me. I had one young guy come join me and pass me for a time but i kept pace and passed him again with about 1km to go. He was leading that wave and i used him well to keep my pace up. I then saw the wolf emerge from the trees who was chasing me so I put in a final burst in the last 400m to make sure he couldn't get close enough for a full on sprint finish. Luckily it held him off as had i needed to sprint more i definitely would have been seeing dinner again! Posted a 10:21 run2 which was to be expected.

In the end in came 11th in 39:25 which I am delighted with. I beat my old time by almost a minute eventhough I didn't have much in me. I knew a sub40 was a possibility with 2km to go so it helped me push on. Pity now ill have to wait until next yr to try sub 39 as its a different format next time out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Well done Bambaata, another excellent result in a stacked feild. I can see from the pics alright that Bryan Keane started at the back and then dusted the field off by T1.. awesome. If only he could swim like the Brownlees he would be right in the thick of it with them.

Overall you are having a fantastic season and I think you are being a bit harsh and too critical on yourself. Your bike was always strong and it has become stronger. Your run speed is very good and your swim had come on leap and bounds. The improvements get incremental the closer to your potential you get and it takes a great deal of work to move onto the next notch. So while you feel even with pbs that you could have done better etc... you did as well as you could on any given day and there is something rewarding about knowing there is more to come. Be proud :)

Cheers Mike. This year has been great. Last Sunday was my only downer alright. Last night was a big surprise as I wasnt expecting to do that. Wind could have helped too though. Gona keep it easy for the rest of this week so at least i got some speedwork in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭jspruit

hawkwing wrote: »

Additional (not official) photos taken near St. Mary's Hospital turn/hill available on flickr here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65405521@N00/sets/72157624453280930/with/4775272269/

jspruit wrote: »
    Additional (not official) photos taken near St. Mary's Hospital turn/hill available on flickr here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65405521@N00/sets/72157624453280930/with/4775272269/

I've gotta stop sticking my tongue out in pics...

Everyone ready for this tonight? Formula one, I'm on the new black Canyon. I've changed the clipless pedals for my commuter ones so I don't have to change shoes x 4, should be a help.

Just gotta remember to pace myself properly, especially on the 1st / 2nd runs

Looking forward to this one as more running involved this time and have not done a 3*run,2*cycle before.Wonder will there be congestion on the bike course with the different format :confused: Definite PB anyway :)

hawkwing wrote: »
    Looking forward to this one as more running involved this time and have not done a 3*run,2*cycle before.Wonder will there be congestion on the bike course with the different format :confused: Definite PB anyway :)

I normally do just under 43 so an extra bike lap + extra run lap + 2 extra transitions, hopefully something around the 1'05 mark? Never done it before so hard to know what to aim for. Once the sun stays around I don't mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Out again for this :( real bad luck this year, only got to do one. Best of luck to evrybody tonight, did it last year and it was my favorite one!

• Advertisement

Out again for this :( real bad luck this year, only got to do one. Best of luck to evrybody tonight, did it last year and it was my favorite one!

How much slower / mile were you on the run last time (do you remember)? I'm quite afraid of over-cooking too early

How much slower / mile were you on the run last time (do you remember)? I'm quite afraid of over-cooking too early

Well my 3rd run was exactly 1 min slower than my first. My second run was 1 min 10 sec slower than my first. So to answer your question I was 35sec slower/mile on the last run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I’ve just gotten really nervous. I think I’ve bitten off more than I can chew…

Not at all! I know nothing of your circumstances but if at any time you fell at all overwhelmed just take a few deep breaths, relax and slow things down. It's a lovely evening for it and enjoy.....and you will get such a terrific feeling after and you will be smiling from ear to ear with satisfaction-guaranteed.

claralara wrote: »
    I’ve just gotten really nervous. I think I’ve bitten off more than I can chew…

You'll be fine, just pace yourself and take a running 'break' on the bike, as much as you can take a break here. Maybe bring some water with you too, it can be a long enough evening.

Enjoy :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement