Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Duathlon Series

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Got around in 1'13"11 by my watch,enjoyed this more than the other ones and felt more comfortable on the bike going down the Kyber due to some saddle adjustments.Crowd down a lot on the July one i think.Windy in places but dry and temp perfect.Not much congestion either.
    Caught about 5 on last run but field was very spread out and this involved making up maybe 3-400 metres so might have went slightly faster if more people to catch.Didn't feel as wrecked as the others--possibly DCM training is paying off and the LSR's.
    Pity there is not another one and maybe a tech t-shirt for people who did 3 or 4 of the series.Will do these again next year (and faster!!):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

christeb wrote: »
    How much slower / mile were you on the run last time (do you remember)? I'm quite afraid of over-cooking too early

2009 race:
    My run2 was 2min slower than run1, and run3 was 1min10sec slower than run1.
    Bike was 40sec slower than Bike1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

46 Brian Christensen 01:04:49 00:10:18 00:00:46 00:14:22 00:00:43 00:11:55 00:00:48 00:14:25 00:00:39 00:10:48

Happy to just duck under the 65' in the end. A great night, numbers were down a bit which did suit, given the format tonight. The wind along the back straight was very rough, it was a good idea to draft on the run if you could. I was back and forth with my Spanish arch nemesis Eduardo from the first cycle on, he's a better biker but he had to change shoes in transition which I didn't. He also didn't change his running style into the wind, which I did and I think that paid off for me in the end.

The new bike was great although the Lunaracers on the normal pedals weren't ideal, very squishy.

All in all a great night, a great series in fact. And I theory stayed true, it never rains on Duath Wedsnesdays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Well done Brian and thanks for the advice, I needed every titbit going!
    Not at all! I know nothing of your circumstances but if at any time you fell at all overwhelmed just take a few deep breaths, relax and slow things down. It's a lovely evening for it and enjoy.....and you will get such a terrific feeling after and you will be smiling from ear to ear with satisfaction-guaranteed.

Cheers for the reply, put my mind at ease just before I left. Really considered dropping out yesterday but I would have never spoken to myself again had I done that!! I am delighted I did it! It was a brilliant experience and now I've something to beat! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

Great event last night and really enjoyed it.

Happy with a 1hr 11min finish as it's my second ever duahtlon/tri event.

Bike let me down a little as it's a flat bar road bike so I lost some time there, but my running times were strong. Although, my finish was less than glamorous as I went into full sprint 50 meters from the end and my legs literally stopped working 10 meters from the finish. I ate some grass, got up and stumbled over the line. Classy. Crowd loved it though :D

I think my friends were your crowd!! Heard about your tumble - they said they cheered and were impressed at the recovery though... Congratulations!!

ha! great :D

I was hoping one of the photographers caught it but no joy so far.
    Tell your friends takes the for the motivation.

It's quite likely they have a photo..they're sickos like that! And they were snap happy wrecking my head everytime I looped. Haha. I'll forward it if they do!

awesome. Here's hoping someone snapped it.
    Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I was happy with 1h03m47s, exactly 2 mins faster than last year.
    The wind was tough going on the bike, with some nasty crosswinds (and I don't have deep rimmed wheels).

For the final run I have to be thankful to Judith Lowry (2nd woman finisher I think). She blew by me on each of the 3 runs but the 3rd time I was determined to keep close to her. Running into the headwind she caught up with another group and I passed all of them.
    This all helped me catch another person. Without her initial speed I would not have been motivated to push it on that final run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

So the rain held off! Looking outside at work at 3pm yesterday i was really looking forward to the race as all i could see was broken cloud and blue skies. Then at 5.15 as i left work it was lashing! Thankfully it seemed to only be a local shower and even better we survived the rain for the race. The winds however were nuts! When i got home i was just too hungry to not have dinner and knew that having it at 6pm was going to come back to haunt me! Didn't mind though as it was a good training session.

Run1:
    The pace kicked off fast as usual and spurred on by a tailwind i clocked an opening 3:08 km. I knew that turning back into the wind was going to be painful and i used people in front to block as much of the wind as i could. I didn't push too hard and came into T1 off a 09:03 (16th) run. T1 went fine and out in 00:42 (13th) onto the bike.

Bike1:
    I love this course and have done it so many times now that i know where time can be lost/made! I passed people straight away and maintained good speed through the S-bends. The wind however meant some sections very fairly dangerous but i didn't hold back too much. Into T2 in a time of 12:45 for 4th fastest (the results need some editing, 1st is 8 mins so i bet that guy just did 1 lap of the bike and there's no 3rd fastest.) Happy with that considering only Joe Lynch, Kevin Keane and Kevin Donagher bettered it who are all very strong bikers! Pity its not about the bike!

Run2:
    Here's were dinner came back for an old chat!! The first few 100m went ok. I passed a few coming out of T2 but I could feel the stitch coming as soon as i exited the woods. First km went okish in 3:53 but then WHAM, stitch came along just as i thought i might be able to manage it. I struggled around from there for an 11:21 2nd run (36th!) losing a fair few places and a lot of distance on those who passed.

Bike2:
    Back to what i do best and it gave me a chance to get rid of the stitch. I nearly lost it however on the 2nd S-bend when a gust of wind bluw me all over the road when doing 40kmph!! That gave me a fright and made me hold back slightly on lap 2. With an 808 on the back i had to be a little bit more careful! Still though i managed to better Bike 1 by 1 second (12:44) for 4th fastest bike 2.

Run3:
    Thankfully i managed to finally get running and i didn't have anyone pass me and i didn't pass anyone! I did pass about 40 or 50 from the later waves and used them well coming back into the wind. I saw at the last turn that sub 59mins might be on so started pushing and at 58:40 i started sprinting and counting down from 20. In the end ruin 3 was 10:14 (17th) which was a significant improvement on Run2!

In the end i was delighted to break 59 by the slightest of margins (58:59!!) and managed to grab 10th. I really enjoyed that race and its a pity the series is over. Here's to bettering that time next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

claralara wrote: »
    Well done Brian and thanks for the advice, I needed every titbit going!

Cheers for the reply, put my mind at ease just before I left. Really considered dropping out yesterday but I would have never spoken to myself again had I done that!! I am delighted I did it! It was a brilliant experience and now I've something to beat! :D

Excellent and well done! It's always worth it in the end!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,167 ✭✭✭El Director

Savage stuff Bambaata! Great result and terrific time, pity about run two but you kept going and recovered well. It is indeed it's a pity the series is over, loved them last year and only 1 done this year so here's to next year indeed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

This is the first time I have seen one of these take place and I was blown away with all you competitors, from the serious to the casual. You were all great:). Many moons ago I took part in a team triathlon and it was very good. Rush 1988...

I took a good few pictures and the guy in the yellow coat downloaded them to his laptop. I also have a few on www.flickr.com/LeoBissett

Here are a few below.

4860912355_d7bc005a7c.jpg

4860967485_a53176ce1a.jpg
    f?s=792600099&t=605cc914143240bf1e205c44c7568ad4&r=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flickr.com%2Fphotos%2F25899546%40N03%2F4860967485%2Fsizes%2Fl%2Fin%2Fphotostream%2F&fl_ev=0&lang=en&intl=us
    4861586636_9391d06d56.jpg

4860936125_92d54141c8.jpg

4860949993_f1f7c29883.jpg

4861590572_cd11a01edc.jpg

LeoB wrote: »
    I took a good few pictures and the guy in the yellow coat downloaded them to his laptop. I also have a few on www.flickr.com/LeoBissett
    This flickr link doesn't work for me.

Aside: One thing that bugs me is finishers getting in the way in transition. I see it after every duathlon (I go in the first race) and I am always surprised that a number of experienced triathletes seem to forget that there are others still racing.

During the first run, on the last 1/4 of it, a young girl drifted onto the path on her rollerblades. She was manhandled out of the way (after being shouted at). Maybe a good push from another athlete would 'educate' these drifters in transition.

Of course, marshals should be shouting at them too. (I'll mention this in the questionnaire that is apparently going to be sent out).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Sorry the flickr link is not working.

By typing my name Leo Bissett into the search box it should bring you to my photo stream. If you or any boards member are in a photo and want a copy contact me via pm and I will send you on an original copy. F.O.C.:)

LeoB wrote: »
    By typing my name Leo Bissett into the search box it should bring you to my photo stream. If you or any boards member are in a photo and want a copy contact me via pm and I will send you on an original copy. F.O.C.:)
    Here is the Duathlon set.

Advertisement