Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAy resit fee to pass by compensation

Options
  • 04-05-2010 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭

Has any experienced passing by compensation? Do you actually have to pay the resit fee even if you don't sit the exam?
    at a future point in 2009/10 depending on your GPA and the number of modules you have successfully completed in that particular stage.

Information from the General Regulations: 5.11 "Where a student has completed an attempt at a stage and has obtained passing grades (including an I grade) in modules accounting for 75% or more of the total credit required to successfully complete the stage, and the compensation GPA for the attempt at the stage is 2.00 or greater, E grades are considered compensated, and a final grade of E(C) is awarded. The grade of E(C) carries a grade point of 1.6."

You may wish to keep the resit/repeat or drop it online. If you keep the resit/repeat you will be charged the fee even if you subsequently compensate for the module at a later date.

Obviously this sounds pretty explicit but it makes no sense. Do they refund you for the resit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

In order to compensate the grade for a module, you need to have dropped it. If you sit the resit or repeat the module, you have to pay for it, it says it pretty clearly there, and it does make sense, if you receive the material from the lectures, tutorials and mid terms etc, you have sat the course again. I'm pretty sure there was a deadline to drop the resits by, but if you didn't and sat the module and exams again, you'll have to pay the fees.

I'm not sure about getting the refund if you don't sit the exam, but I doubt it, I'd say you'll just fail the module again and get an NG. If you didn't drop the module, they aren't to know that you intended on compensating the grade, so would think you had done the required work to pass the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Strange one that, mine just compensated themselves as soon as the grades were finalised. That was probably because it was the end of the year and not like your situation, at Christmas(?).

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Compensation and resits are two different things.

If you receive an E in a module you have two options - wait for the end of the stage (probably in May) and hope that you fulfill the requirements for compensation as quoted in the first post. If you do, the E is converted to an E(C) with a grade point value of 1.6.

OR you can choose to resit the module (or repeat it if it's offered again) and if you pass the module, the best you can get is a P(R) which is worth 2.0 grade points.

If you decide you want to try to compensate the module (there is no guarantee that you will fulfill all the criteria - ie if you fail more modules etc), then you should have dropped the Semester 2 resit/repeat of that module. UCD sends out emails advising you when the deadline is.

As the deadline has passed and you did not drop it, then you are liable for the fees as you are registered to resit the module.

If you do NOT turn up to the exam and receive an NG on the resit module AND you fulfill the requirements to compensate, the E from last semester WILL convert to an E(C). BUT you will still be liable for the resit fees, even though you did not sit the exam. As far as I understand it, you will not be eligible for a refund as you did not drop the module. It says that pretty clearly in the last line quoted above.

Anyway, that's just my understanding of it. You should probably talk to someone in the programme office as they will know this stuff better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Yeah I seem to have ****ed up and not dropped the module after I decided I didn't want to resit. It still sounds counter intuitive to me. Sounds like I'm going to have to spend a lot of time negotiating over this. Hopefully I won't be stung. I told the admin staff and the lecturer in volved I wouldn't resit so hopefuly that will stand in my favour. Should have just resit it now for the trouble it was worth but didnt have 250 euro for it.

Yeah I seem to have ****ed up and not dropped the module after I decided I didn't want to resit. It still sounds counter intuitive to me. Sounds like I'm going to have to spend a lot of time negotiating over this. Hopefully I won't be stung. I told the admin staff and the lecturer in volved I wouldn't resit so hopefuly that will stand in my favour. Should have just resit it now for the trouble it was worth but didnt have 250 euro for it.

Jesus I should have just studied properly for that exam and saved this heart ache. Knowing the repeat process for UCD I'd never have risked a fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

When they say E Grade do do mean ANY E grade ?

When they say E Grade do do mean ANY E grade ?

What do you mean by ANY E grade? There is only E.

Good luck, but in my experience, the fees office apply the rules and even if your lecturer knew your intention, there's not much they can do. Good luck though.

Also, is it too late to study? If you pass the exam it means that you get more grade points which might benefit your GPA. I'd probably still go for it, depending on when it's on.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

what happens say if you fail 3 in the summer what happens do ya retake them or go into the stage x thing ?

Tom1991 wrote: »
    what happens say if you fail 3 in the summer what happens do ya retake them or go into the stage x thing ?

If you get an E in three modules for the entire year, and your compensation GPA is at least 2.0. then you will automatically compensate all three Es.

If you fail three modules (F, G, NG), then you will need to resit (or repeat) the failed modules next semester. You will be automatically registered to resit/repeat and if you don't want to take the modules again, you will need to drop them when sorting out your registration.

I've never heard of Stage X, except for on boards.ie, and have googled it etc and have not seen it referred to in the regulations (yes, I am a nerd who reads regulations).

If you fail, as far as I understand it, you simply stay in the stage that you were in until you successfully complete at least 50 credits. So if you are in Stage 1 and fail 3 modules in the year, then you will remain in Stage 1 until the modules are passed in the next semester. This means that in January, you will then be in Stage 2. This does not mean you can't do Stage 2 modules, but you need to talk to your programme office about making sure you're taking Stage 2 modules when you register in August.

All this info is the UCD website - it's not hard to find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

taz70 wrote: »
    What do you mean by ANY E grade? There is only E.

There is a myth that compensation only works if you are close to passing the exam, so say 38% or 39%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Con Con

Kournikova wrote: »
    There is a myth that compensation only works if you are close to passing the exam, so say 38% or 39%.

That's not the case

An E is an E regardless what you get in individual assessments. If your grades add up to a final grade of E, then you are eligible to compensate.

No need to rely on myths when the regulations are really clear and the FAQs explain everything in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Yeah I used to believe that myth for a while, along with the whole Semester/Stage X thingy. I checked the regulations myself and realised the truth :):)

Well done, Kournikova! I'll have to induct you into the regulation-reading-nerd-club..... :D

Honestly, I much prefer knowing what's going on that relying on other students who pretty much live on rumours and then panic about it.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

You'll definitely get charged, the fees dept is the only one in UCD that actually works.

In regards to the other post, technically theres no such thing as 'stage x'. Stage 1 is the 60 credits most people gain when they finish their first year of college, and then progress onto Stage 2. Thats the 120 credits that should be completed over years 2 and 3.

The complicated bit that not explained on the website is that you can take as long as you want to finish stage 2, ie: if you fail at 5 modules (25 credits) you are required to return and finish them until you can get your degree, so can do another semester at the cost of half your registration fee and the cost of repeating the modules. If you fail 1 of these you have to return and so another semester doing just that 1 module and pay half registration fee and repeat fee again.

Also, if you're doing an option module, fail, and then substitute for something else you're grade isnt capped, but it costs 100euro more to substitute than just resit.

Electives are NEVER capped.

The problems that arise is that the UCD website is rarely updated and contains only the most basic, vague information. The only people actually know whats going on are in the programme offices.

You'll definitely get charged, the fees dept is the only one in UCD that actually works.

In regards to the other post, technically theres no such thing as 'stage x'. Stage 1 is the 60 credits most people gain when they finish their first year of college, and then progress onto Stage 2. Thats the 120 credits that should be completed over years 2 and 3.

The complicated bit that not explained on the website is that you can take as long as you want to finish stage 2, ie: if you fail at 5 modules (25 credits) you are required to return and finish them until you can get your degree, so can do another semester at the cost of half your registration fee and the cost of repeating the modules. If you fail 1 of these you have to return and so another semester doing just that 1 module and pay half registration fee and repeat fee again.

Also, if you're doing an option module, fail, and then substitute for something else you're grade isnt capped, but it costs 100euro more to substitute than just resit.

Electives are NEVER capped.

The problems that arise is that the UCD website is rarely updated and contains only the most basic, vague information. The only people actually know whats going on are in the programme offices.

Sorry, there are some inaccuracies here.

A three year programme typically consists of 3 stages (not 2), each consisting of 60 credits. If you only earn 45 credits in Stage 2, then you do not progress to Stage 3 and remain there until at least 50 credits are earned.

If an elective module is failed, the resit or repeat grade IS capped.

Substituting modules is good for electives, but depending on what programme you're in, it may cost as much as three times as the resit fee (again - fees are available on the UCD website).

Not sure where you look on the website, but I find it's updated each semester and the FAQs are not at all vague. But you're right in that the programme offices pretty much know what's going on (though not necessarily ours).

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

I think the relevant, undisputed facts here should be stickied. Ive found out more here than i had from the Ucd site when the time was needed, luckily i had word of mouth to go from and dropped my E module before i had to pay, but i could have been in a terrible way if i hadnt.
    The Student desk were NO HELP WHATSOEVER. It seems they deliberately emailed me the day AFTER it would have mattered, telling me just to "re read the relevant information on the website". I had given them plenty of information for them to word a sentence long letter on what to do, and got nothing back over two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Sorry, there are some inaccuracies here.

A three year programme typically consists of 3 stages (not 2), each consisting of 60 credits. If you only earn 45 credits in Stage 2, then you do not progress to Stage 3 and remain there until at least 50 credits are earned.

If an elective module is failed, the resit or repeat grade IS capped.

Substituting modules is good for electives, but depending on what programme you're in, it may cost as much as three times as the resit fee (again - fees are available on the UCD website).

Not sure where you look on the website, but I find it's updated each semester and the FAQs are not at all vague. But you're right in that the programme offices pretty much know what's going on (though not necessarily ours).

I was talking about Arts, which changed a few years back.Theres only 2 stages and anyone coming out of stage 1 has to choose their 120 credits worth of modules, although they can decide to change at certain time during the remainder of the course.

Sorry i was mistaken over elective capping, and fees for arts (unless they increased again) were 220 for a repeat and 330 for a substitution. So if you can afford to substitute chances are you'll get a higher GPA than just repeating.

I just find the website extremely confusing its a needle haystack dilemma trying to find any solid information,its mostly directed towards prospective students

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Conor775

Just to clarify, because there are contradicting posts on the first page.

I got an E in a module in the first semester. I didn't drop the subject so I am registered for a resit. If I do not sit the resit, but get a GPA of at least 2.0 I can still compensate for the module even though I didn't drop it?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

• Advertisement

Conor775 wrote: »

I got an E in a module in the first semester. I didn't drop the subject so I am registered for a resit. If I do not sit the resit, but get a GPA of at least 2.0 I can still compensate for the module even though I didn't drop it?

I don't know the answer to this. But if you're registered for the resit, and are basically going to pay for it, you should do it and try and pass. In my case, the resit was in Easter, I didn't know I was basically registered to do it because I didn't really read the details. I'm applying to have the module removed by my course supervisor, my allocation of the resit removed and thus compensate the module without resitting/repaying.

So if you don't want to resit it, contact your department and drop it, other wise it will look like you're failing the exam at 0%. Not sure if they'll take your previous attempt into account.

SOrry I'm only speculating all this exam nonsense is new to me.

Conor775 wrote: »

If you don't get any more than two more Es (or worse) this semester, and get the compensation GPA of 2.0, then yes, the E grade from Sem 1 will compensate. You need to pass at least 75% of all modules (9/12) for compensation to kick in for an E. But as you are registered to resit the module, then you are liable for the resit fee.

If you choose not to sit the resit exam, you will get an NG on your transcript, BUT the E from last semester would still compensate (as per the above conditions). But an E is only worth 1.6 credits, whereas a passed resit is worth 2.0 credits - this makes a difference to some people who are looking to improve their GPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

An E is an E regardless what you get in individual assessments. If your grades add up to a final grade of E, then you are eligible to compensate.

No need to rely on myths when the regulations are really clear and the FAQs explain everything in detail.

But in the grading system on the UCD website it gives an E-, E and E+?

But in the grading system on the UCD website it gives an E-, E and E+?

You can get an E-, E or E+ for component grades (ie individual assessments eg essay, mcq, exam etc), but when it comes to a final grade for a module, it's only E, F, NG (in the fail range) - but A+, A, A-, B+ .... D, D- (in the pass range).

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

What would happen if say you failed 4 modules or 4 e's in year one.Could you choose to repeat two in year two and pass thus making up the quota for year one 9/12 and compensate while doing second year ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kate90

Tom1991 wrote: »
    What would happen if say you failed 4 modules or 4 e's in year one.Could you choose to repeat two in year two and pass thus making up the quota for year one 9/12 and compensate while doing second year ?
    have u got anymore information on this cos i failed 4 modules(all e's) in stage 1 and dont no wat to do... my gpa is over 2.0 and im thinking do i only need 2 pass 2 more of them and the rest can be compensated?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Yeah I used to believe that myth for a while, along with the whole Semester/Stage X thingy. I checked the regulations myself and realised the truth :):)

Stage X definitely exists and is there to benefit the student not UCD. Essentially UCD extends your degree by an extra year so you still benefit from the free fee's program instead of asking you to pay the 6-8000e to repeat a whole year of college. They even used to print stage X on your student card but not since the new ones were introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

kate90 wrote: »
    have u got anymore information on this cos i failed 4 modules(all e's) in stage 1 and dont no wat to do... my gpa is over 2.0 and im thinking do i only need 2 pass 2 more of them and the rest can be compensated?

Yes u can take the two modules along with your other classes and if you pass 1 of the repeats the rest will be passed by compensation. My friend did this and took both his electives in semester two to lighten the work load. ie. 7/7 instead of 8/6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭kev_s88

I got an E in semester 1, dropped the resit, but it seems it hasnt been compensated. i definitely meet all the requirements as i passed all my other modules and have a 2.8 GPA... if this E doesnt get compensated does anyone know what the procedure will be for next year and having not passed the module? do i have to repeat it next year?

• Advertisement

what I read on this forum, the E grade will only be changed to E (compensated) in the final results, not in the preliminary ones we just got. By all means check with your department that that particular module is compensatable (may not be a real word), there are apparently some modules you can NOT pass by compensation. My guess would be, your module will be compensated when the results proper are released .

Advertisement