Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PAy resit fee to pass by compensation

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Stage X definitely exists and is there to benefit the student not UCD. Essentially UCD extends your degree by an extra year so you still benefit from the free fee's program instead of asking you to pay the 6-8000e to repeat a whole year of college. They even used to print stage X on your student card but not since the new ones were introduced.

No, definitively, there is NO SUCH THING AS STAGE X. I think it existed for about a year, but it no longer exists.

See page 5: http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/ba_advisory0410.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Gatorade237

In UCD, just did my test today and have pretty much accepted that I've failed Intermediate Microeconomics (in second year) and I was told today by someone in the course, that I can't compensate as it's a 'core' module, and IF I want a degree in economics (doing a joint major) I'll have to pass it properly.

Can anyone tell me if there's a way around the €250 resit fee,like the ways mentioned before even if it's a 'core'.
    Looks like I'm gonna have to resit and someone said earlier that it could be at Easter? Assumed it was all at summer.

Also want to do an exchange, and with this grade, my chances are practically gone for most of my preferences.
    Want to get the answers now so I can take the right route. Thanks to those who help. Appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

how do you know / find out if a module is compensated-able? the module i want to compensate isnt core by the way. an elective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Look up the module descriptor here:

www.ucd.ie/modules/<module code>

and it has a "what happens if I fail section". You'll find out there if you can/can't compensate.

If you can't compensate there's no way around paying the fee I'm afraid..

If you're doing a resit then get in contact with the lecturer. Its most likely in the summer, though I know of a couple of people who have done them earlier (small course where they were the only one to fail so i didn't matter when they did it).

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

Kournikova wrote: »
    There is a myth that compensation only works if you are close to passing the exam, so say 38% or 39%.

In order to compensate your grade cannot be below 36.5% as far as I knew, no?

• Advertisement

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/modulargradesexplained.pdf

It says E grades can be compensated, so I presume thats an E-/E/E+ (i.e. 30% above).

No wonder our degrees are becoming devalued.

Actually thinking about that; if a module is all MCQ examinations with 4 options per question and no negative marking, one can pass that module with a result only slightly better than complete guess work. That's terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Are there any modules in UCD that are all MCQ with no negative marking?

An elective i took a few years ago was. It was certainly all MCQ, and I'm almost certain there was no negative marking. Can't remember what it was called off hand though.

Looking for an easy elective? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Nah, don't get electives anymore (Final Year TP). Was just curious, the only MCQs without negative marking I've come across were in class test level things, or at most midterms. And even then, they were few and far between.

MCQs are silly, anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

Raphael wrote: »
    Nah, don't get electives anymore (Final Year TP). Was just curious, the only MCQs without negative marking I've come across were in class test level things, or at most midterms. And even then, they were few and far between.

MCQs are silly, anyways.

Agreed - I detest MCQ's!

• Advertisement

It was a level 0/1 course that I took in 1st/2nd year, so was a few years ago. It might've changed since then.

Quite a few of my mid-term MCQs in 1st/2nd year were non-negative marking. Thinking about it, that was the only one that I can remember having no negative marking in the final exam.

I agree, I think they are a poor way of examining. I think people who don't know very much can get away with it, and it can be hard to excel if you have a good knowledge of the subject.

Advertisement