Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smith Property Management?

Options
  • 04-05-2010 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi All,
    I have a bit of a problem here. I recently moved into an apartment building. I noticed that there are no satellite dishes in the building. But I guessed that the management wouldn't allow them fixed to walls. My guess was right. The contract says " No exterior or interior alterations to the building", nor the erection of satellite antenna without a written consent from your landlord". The clause seemed to me like a "do it right requirement" rather than a "total ban on satellite dishes" which I know some buildings would have.
    I talked to the secretary of my landlord who rang management company and said something vague about put it up but use no permanent fixing so if they ask you to take it down, it wouldn't be a great deal"confused.gifconfused.gif .
    Unfortunately my balcony isn't in the right direction, but I am at the end of the building where my balcony is very close to the back wall of the building (in fact at the same eye level). I was thinking of applying a G-clamp rather than drilling holes as I would be in breach of my contract if I did so. What do you think I should do?
    How do you think I should approach the management company. Any experiences with them in particular or similar.
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my post.
    Zoya

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Zoya wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I have a bit of a problem here. I recently moved into an apartment building. I noticed that there are no satellite dishes in the building. But I guessed that the management wouldn't allow them fixed to walls. My guess was right. The contract says " No exterior or interior alterations to the building", nor the erection of satellite antenna without a written consent from your landlord". The clause seemed to me like a "do it right requirement" rather than a "total ban on satellite dishes" which I know some buildings would have.
    I talked to the secretary of my landlord who rang management company and said something vague about put it up but use no permanent fixing so if they ask you to take it down, it wouldn't be a great deal"confused.gifconfused.gif .
    Unfortunately my balcony isn't in the right direction, but I am at the end of the building where my balcony is very close to the back wall of the building (in fact at the same eye level). I was thinking of applying a G-clamp rather than drilling holes as I would be in breach of my contract if I did so. What do you think I should do?
    How do you think I should approach the management company. Any experiences with them in particular or similar.
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to read my post.
    Zoya

No matter what way you try it the answer will be no

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Definitely ask. Many developments don't allow satellite dishes (ours included), however, when there is enough interest, most will get in Sky, which is designed for developments (1 dish per 40 units).

The more people that ask, the greater the chances that they'll get communal Sky in.

If you go ahead, on your own, they may very well take down the dish and charge you for it's removal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Zoya

Thanks for replying. I truly appreciate it. I can't really find out if I don't ask. So probably I should email them.
    Thanks guys,
    Zoya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

My brother got around the dish problem by attaching it to his balcony rail and not the wall. But in your case u need to attach it to the wall.

I know of people who have done the same in developments without asking permission. The attitude was 'its my wall, I paid for it so I'll put up whatever I like'. This of course disregards the rules they signed up to in the first place.

But all of them have reported that nothing has come of it- after all the only people the management co. ever send around are the cleaners and gardeners who couldn't care less about dishes. You could go ahead and do it OP and even if they object by the time lots of letters have changed hands at least a few months will have passed.

RATM wrote: »
    You could go ahead and do it OP and even if they object by the time lots of letters have changed hands at least a few months will have passed.

And, of course, the management company could just remove it, and charge you for that service. You then have a 12 month contract with Sky, no dish, and a charge for removal of the dish added to your management fee.

Is it worth that hassle?

In our development, we don't send warning letters any more. We simply have the dish removed.

Talking to the management agent/management company is always the best approach.

• Advertisement

RATM,
    You see when we signed the contract it said don't erect a satellite ariel without having a written consent from landlord. Another clause says no pets allowed in premises. It didn't say no satellite dishes. I was more concerned about more important details at the time of the lease that I didn't ask landlord then if satellite's are ok. But then later I rang his office and his secretary came back and asked me not to permanently fix it. Their concern was structurally changing the exterior of the building.
    Clamping should be fine in my opinion but was just wondering what would they say.

Paulw, taking to authorities is always the best approach. But would they listen???

Paulw, taking to authorities is always the best approach. But would they listen???

I'm a director of our management company. For 3 years we enforced the no dish policy (we still enforce it), but when enough people were interested, we got in the communal Sky service.

So, yes, people do listen.

Thanks Paulw. Another question I have is what do you do when its not SKY that residents are interested in? The building is wired for NTL and I could have settled with that. The issue is I am from another part of the world and seeking to watch channels from my country. I feel quite isolated and homesick to be honest. Besides I have two young children who are are learning my mother tongue by watching kids' channels. Having said that, I have no intension in disobeying house rules nor am I looking for exceptions to be made but would love to reach a workable solution. I know in your management there is a "no dish rule". Its not explicitly written in my contract. They require landlords written permission. As a director of a management company, I'd like to hear your views in such a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Hi Zoya,

When you mention you not signing anything re satellite dishes- I presume you are referrring to the Lease Agreement you signed with your Landlord, are you renting the property? If so this agreement, whilst it should technically incorporate the general rules of the development, the landlord (property owner) is bound by the terms of the Lease he/she signed upon purchasing the apartment. When you buy into a managed development you sign a Lease Agreement with the Management Company, this sets out the rules and regulations regarding the development.
    Where a rule states no satellite dishes, this means that there are none allowed, irrespective of whether you drill into a wall or not. The Management Company own the walls of the blocks, and most leases retain a right of access onto balconies, in a lot of cases the apartment owner does not actually even own the balcony or railing etc, merely they enjoy an exclusive right of use.

Hope that helps, whilst it can be a pain not being able to avail of satellite tv unfortunately it may have been something you should have looked into fully before proceeding with moving in.

JP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Jennypops is spot on here.

Incidentally, the post title asks about Smith Property Management. They are only agents, your query is probably more specific to the management company of your actual development. Some SPM properties allow dishes, some don't.

We don't. Have just initiated legal action against a landlord whose tenants have erected a dish repeatedly (we remove, they put it/another one back up). Our leases say you can't attach any aerial or antenna to, or erect on, management company property without written permission, which the MC won't give. Balconies are actually management company property, with the apartment "owner" just having the exclusive use of it.

• Advertisement

Another question I have is what do you do when its not SKY that residents are interested in? I know in your management there is a "no dish rule". Its not explicitly written in my contract. They require landlords written permission. As a director of a management company, I'd like to hear your views in such a situation.

My view, is that there is nothing the management company can do for you. The rules/agreements are there and need to be enforced equally across the board. One rule for everyone.

So, in your case, you're out of luck.

In many cases, NTL will and can provide foreign channels, if they get enough requests. The more naitives from your country that petition NTL (now UPC), the more chance you have of that.

Thank you all who took the time to reply to my post. It was great to hear views on this matter. Jennypops, I am tenant thanks God. So definitely at the end of my lease I will rethink it.
    Thanks again everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Jennypops

Hi Zoya,

It may be worth your while to approach the managing agent directly also, just to see the actual official rule as you never know maybe your development permits them but you just can attach them to a wall etc...
    the whole satellite dish issue is contentious, personally i am all for people having the right to choose who they wish to use as a tv provider but on the other hand a load of dishes look really horrible in any estate. its a pity there is not a real alternative. sky tv can obviously do communal dishes etc but this is not always feasible in every development.
    I also think it is very very important that people look at every single angle before renting or buying in a managed development...especially when buying, its the biggest purchase you will ever make- you need to know EVERYTHING and make an informed decision before signing into a management company! This forum is great for debate and discussion but i am always amazed at some threads, where i am actually wondering how on earth someone bought into a managed development without taking it upon themselves to be informed of what they were getting into. Hopefully with new bills coming into effect people will get the finger out and become involved in their developments and not sit back and moan about having to pay fees, but dont take the time to be involved in how things are run.

Zoya- good luck, hopefully it will work out for you!

Hi Jennypops,
    Thanks again for replying. I think I will approach them directly. Again the contract says no pets allowed, but no dishes without permission of landlord. At the time to be honest I had more on my plate to worry about. So as you said it might be the case that they would allow them but under strict conditions. I can only find out by asking. Will do that soon.
    Thanks again,
    Zoya

Advertisement