Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musicians for summer session in Limerick - paid

Options
  • 04-05-2010 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this but I'll go for it anyway.

At the moment, I run a session (and have been doing it for a few months) in The Glen Tavern in Limerick city (Glentworth St). It is on a Monday night and 9.30pm. However, the three of us who run it have to go back to our respective home counties for the summer holidays and can't continue it after next week. So, if anybody is sticking around Limerick for the summer (or indeed is a local musician) and wants to take up the reigns, the barman would be delighted.

I play banjo and I play with a fiddler and guitarist usually. Any instrument combo can be done and it's all the better if you can sing a few songs. But you realistically need 3 musicians at least. It is an Irish traditional music session but we never stuck rigidly by that. We've sung songs by Ray Charles, Nigel Mooney and Joni Mitchell amongst others so it's really a laid-back affair. As for tunes, our approach was initially Donegal style stuff (fiddler was Donegal style) but, after he left, we got in an East Galway fiddler (much more my thing). But you can decide yourself.

There is money and free drink involved, though, because it is a small bar, the money is very minimal. The bar itself is a really pleasing place to have a session. It is a great setting and never noisy. The staff are dead on and the clientèle are always good fun. I always make an effort to fulfill requests which seem to come up at least once per week.

If you may be interested, send me an email of a PM within the next week and I can forward the barman on some details.

Cheers,

Paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Hi Paddy...

You should try posting this on the University of Limerick (UL) aswell... I did my degree in Irish music there and I'm sure I'd know a few heads that would take up your session.

Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭reelkidmusic

Hi paddy

I just saw your post there for traditional session for the summer. We would be interested in doing that gig for the summer as we are coming home to the limerick/clare area for the summer!!!

I play button accordion and I have two friends I play regularly with who play flute and concertina.

Please get back to me as I'm very interested in this.

Thanks,
    Emmet

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭52paddy

Emmet, I have sent you a PM.

Advertisement