Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Troubles

• 04-05-2010 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

We rewired our house when we moved into it and as part of that had a timer put on the immersion. In retrospect, we probably should have changed the tank but that didn't even occur to me at the time.

Anyway, the timer has stopped working and I can get no life out of the immersion at all, not a sound whether I have the timer on or off and obviously, no hot water either.

Now this is not a problem in winter as the central heating will do the job for me but I need to get this fixed as we don't need the heating all Summer but still need hot water!

So any ideas what might be wrong? Do I need a plumber or an electrician? Would replacing the timer sort it? I suspect not somehow :rolleyes:
    Is it possible to get a new element or would I have to replace the whole tank? I suppose I should probably do this anyway and get one of those insulated tanks.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭mazthespark

would try the timer first. especially if there is no life out of it at all. electrician is your best bet first neway.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

sounds like the MCB/RCBO could have triped out, check that, turn it off at back on, ive see some of them that look like there on when there off, they only move a bit when they trip. when you turn the time clock on to always on does the light is coming on on the time clock? if it does but your still not getting heat, then its ether the thermostat or the immersion, so get a sparkie. thermostat is about 10 euro in any wholesellers immersion havent a clue, havent changed one in ages!

if any thing you dont need a new tank, altho if the tank is old, ive seen them crease when taking out the old immersion, i wouldnt change it unless this happens, but then again, the insulated cylinders are much better at retaining heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

HighlyCooL wrote: »
    sounds like the MCB/RCBO could have triped out, check that, turn it off at back on, ive see some of them that look like there on when there off, they only move a bit when they trip. when you turn the time clock on to always on does the light is coming on on the time clock? if it does but your still not getting heat, then its ether the thermostat or the immersion, so get a sparkie. thermostat is about 10 euro in any wholesellers immersion havent a clue, havent changed one in ages!

if any thing you dont need a new tank, altho if the tank is old, ive seen them crease when taking out the old immersion, i wouldnt change it unless this happens, but then again, the insulated cylinders are much better at retaining heat.

+1
    Check the MCB, and if you have a phase tester / multimeter then make sure that the power is getting to the timer. Use the tester the other side of the timer and make sure that the power turns off and on as the timer goes on and off. If it does, then the problem is with the immersion, otherwise, you will have found the fault at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭neeb

Just check that the old immersion switch is set to on? The timer will not override that, it works in series with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

thanks guys, will use your advice to do some more investigations tonight. Think there is no light on timer at all. Old immersion switch is definitely on also. Sounds like I'll be needing a sparky!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

id guess at a glance its a junk timer. There are alot of them out there which are cheap and give alot of hassle. But as mentioned above follow the check list of theings to check before you get an electrician

Advertisement