Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remarkable cat video

Options
  • 04-05-2010 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭

I heard about this video on the radio today and I could not believe it when I saw it. The cat tries his best to 'wake' the other cat up but its no use. Just goes to show you how some animals bond.

***Warning it may upset some people***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Ok, it may be a heart rending video....but there is no way on earth the cat is giving it's friend heart massage to try and revive it.
    It is just doing what cats always do before making themselves comfy on your lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Noopti wrote: »
    Ok, it may be a heart rending video....but there is no way on earth the cat is giving it's friend heart massage to try and revive it.
    It is just doing what cats always do before making themselves comfy on your lap.

So you think he wants to sit on the cat?:)

I know the cat isnt a trained doctor but its instinct to try and stimulate some sort of response from the dead cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I think the cat was probably trying to save its friend. Mother cats do it by licking dead or dying kittens to try to save them sometimes. I've seen an adult cat licking her dead sister's face and she was obviously distressed.

And cats will try to wake you by climbing on you and kneading you like that.

They definitely understand what's going on. I had one cat who was an outside only cat, when I was a kid, and I had an indoor/outdoor dog and they were best friends. When the dog died the cat never saw the dog dead, but she knew she was gone and ran into the house when we opened the door. Then she must have followed the dog's scent because she went into my room where the dog slept, the utility room where the dog was sometimes and then into the dog's basket in the sitting room and just sat there looking really sad. And my neighbour's cat's friend died and the cat didn't eat for about a week.

The video's really sad but kinda sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

It's just a cat doing what cats do. I've three of them that do the same thing here the minute you sit down anywhere, and I'm neither dead or asleep ( one of them is particularly attatched to a fleecy dressing gown) They're probably related, but it's not trying to 'wake' the other cat up. I really hate when we ascribe mawkish sentimental claptrap to animals.

Ok, it may not be just making a comfortable bed to lie in. :p

But performing heart massage it most definitely isn't......the idea that a cat can even fathom the idea of a pump in it's chest that is necessary for living is ridiculous enough as it is.
    So yes, it maybe just trying to stimulate it's friend into moving - but that is the extent of it. The same way an elephant will move a dead baby elephant with it's foot, it is more curiosity than medical procedure.

Many animals will react to a dead "friend" or pack member, whether that be by licking it, picking it up and carrying it around etc.

• Advertisement

PCros wrote: »
    So you think he wants to sit on the cat?:)

I know the cat isnt a trained doctor but its instinct to try and stimulate some sort of response from the dead cat.

It's actually more of a sexual response, the sitting business. Our big cat really 'loves' the dressing gown.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Have to agree with Noopti.
    No doubt the cat is distressed but my cat does exactly the same thing on my lap every evening before curling up for a snooze. Poor kitty though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Skip to somewhere around 0:50, watch the next 10 seconds, and tell me it's still grieving over its dead mate.

liah wrote: »
    Skip to somewhere around 0:50, watch the next 10 seconds, and tell me it's still grieving over its dead mate.
    The humpy thing? Totally normal, that kneading causes a sexual response sometimes. I'm guessing people who see this and think it's trying to revive the dead cat don't actually have cats.

I didn't watch it that long, it actually tries to hump the dead cat? And people are still saying it is trying to revive it's dead friend?!

I must have missed that episode of Grays Anatomy which details the humping method of cardiac resuscitation......will download now though :D

• Advertisement

I think people are watching the wrong video? No humpin in this video.

Yeah, there is.

Edit, oh nope, wait, this is the heavily edited version where they actually remove the humping to make it seem more 'tragic'. Oh dear.
    Piano, dead cat, human emotions, leave out natural behaviour = internet gold.

Yeah, there is.

Where exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I would go with fatmammycat, there is some umm.. pelvic twitching that would suggest the cat that's alive is getting his jollies, not doing CPR.

At the end of the day, you see and understand the video at whatever level you want.. no point arguing.

Title of that video:
    "Cat gives a cardiac massage to his injured girlfriend"

I mean....c'mon people!!!

Girlfriend cat heard to say 'cold....so very cold....' before gently crossing over to rainbow bridge...

Fail...the cat is kneading then it sits beside her and then starts kneading again.

At what point in the video do you see this "phantom humping"?

Title of that video:
    "Cat gives a cardiac massage to his injured girlfriend"

I mean....c'mon people!!!

Thats youtube for ya!

Around the 50 second mark. Do you REALLY think this cat is attempting CPR? Maybe you don't recognise a sexual response, but I do, I see my big fellow do it here all the time to a fleece dressing gown, knead knead, hips starts. Nothing weird about it, it's just what they do.

Like I said earlier, they are probably related in some way and it is a sweet video, but it's not what it looks like.

• Advertisement

Thats youtube for ya!

Nope, that's anthropomorphication for you.....something which is evident in this thread, and the video!

Around the 50 second mark. Do you REALLY think this cat is attempting CPR? Maybe you don't recognise a sexual response, but I do, I see my big fellow do it here all the time to a fleece dressing gown, knead knead, hips starts. Nothing weird about it, it's just what they do.

Like I said earlier, they are probably related in some way and it is a sweet video, but it's not what it looks like.

No I dont think hes doing CPR and I dont think hes trying to ride her maybe a natural urged went through his mind for like a second but ultimately I think the cat is distressed that his buddy is dead.

What is really sad about the video is the terrible life poor old street cats have. I am saying that as I share my chair with a rescued one-eyed tabby, who very easily could have ended up the same way.

No I dont think hes doing CPR and I dont think hes trying to ride her maybe a natural urged went through his mind for like a second but ultimately I think the cat is distressed that his buddy is dead.

I agree, the kneeding produces that urge, I don't think he's trying to 'ride' her either, only pointing out what the 'sitting' was about. It's just a sexual response.
    Poor old street cats. What a horrible life they live, this is why people whould spay and neuter their cats.

Whats even worse it was most likely knocked down and the driver just fecks off, happens too often.

Aye, a lot of people just think of cats as vermin. Disgusting to leave an animal like that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

It still made me cry though regardless of what its at. Both cats looked in bits poor things.

Yeah it did hump, but I agree that was probably just a natural response and not actually trying to mate :rolleyes: it didn't do anything else like bit the dead cat's neck, like cats do when they mate.

I know cats natural knead people or their bed (or "making cookies" as my brother says) but I think this cat knows its friend is dead and is trying to revive it. It's not trying to pump its heart, or if it is then it doesn't know that, but instinctively its trying to get the blood and air flowing. Or just trying to get the cat to move, because it mighn't understand why it isn't. I've had about a hundred cats (no exaggeration) and I've seen this kinda thing with mother cats with premature kittens that were dying (some of them try to abandon the kittens, some of them try to save them).

One of my tom cats started kneading the other tom cat the other day, lol, it was definitely not a sexual thing! Then he started suckling on his long fur, which really freaked him out! If a cat kneads you, it means they love you (or think you're their mom, same difference) so if a cat kneads another cat that means they love it right? Or want milk . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭martina_670

When a cat goes to sit on your lap it will use all 4 paws, not only its front ones like in the video.

• Advertisement

When a cat goes to sit on your lap it will use all 4 paws, not only its front ones like in the video.

The cat in the video uses all four paws. And cats on your lap will often just use two paws.

But even though a cat does the same thing when it's on your lap, doesn't mean it wasn't trying to save its friend . . .

Advertisement