Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does a photo of something mundane make a mundane photo?

• 04-05-2010 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

In Cork at the weekend, decided to go scouting for possible portrait locations. While out taking some test shots of possible backgrounds, I started to notice that even though these are all pretty mundane locations normally, they started to pique my interest when taken out of their usual context and confined within the frame. I started to notice the lines, colors and textures a lot more than if I had just been passing by. I think a place can take on a whole other personality when portrayed in this way and I find that very interesting

What do you think? Agree or disagree? I'm thinking of doing a little personal project on these types of images. Am I talking ****e or is this something worth pursuing?

4576291908_8c06064856.jpg

4575678783_1272bd89f7.jpg

4576331120_e8ea474a02.jpg

4576392236_619fb53c52.jpg

4575719933_9d9b0bd527.jpg

4575758865_566abb4f25.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I did a big project on this sort of idea last year, its very interesting.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/19997617/Context-as-a-Determinanrt-of-Photographic-Meaningwps

that might focus your mind a bit better, helped me anyway

I think the above photos have a lot of contrast to them. Either via colour or dark/bright spots, and is probably what makes them interesting to look at.

To me, personally, they look a bit grunge-y or something. Which is good for the above photos, but if you have to toy with the settings in paint/photoshop/whatever, then is it possible that you may ruin the person in your portrait for the sake of a nice background? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

I think the above photos have a lot of contrast to them. Either via colour or dark/bright spots, and is probably what makes them interesting to look at.

To me, personally, they look a bit grunge-y or something. Which is good for the above photos, but if you have to toy with the settings in paint/photoshop/whatever, then is it possible that you may ruin the person in your portrait for the sake of a nice background? :confused:

Grungy is exactly what I was going for :) Portraits involving these locations would be rather different, as there would be off camera lighting involved and the composition would most likely be a little different, and I'd probably be more inclined to retouch a little more.

These images were more of an exploration of line, color and texture than anything else. Trying to make something interesting out of what would usually seem like nothing too interesting at all.

Very little was done in terms of retouching these images. Just some basic adjustments in Lightroom. Nothing fancy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I will be shooting a band very soon, these kind of backdrops are exactly what I'll be looking for. They all look like they would work for something like that.

The first shoot of any kind I did, outside taking family snaps, was one for my cousin. He wanted shots to promote his music career. It was an experience for me, and using a simple 'super zoom' compact at the time there was a fair bit of PP involved. I like to think I've learned a hell of a lot since then but I liked the grittiness of how they came out.

3763404883_78b420ffe6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

My personal standard for great mundane: http://www.we-english.co.uk/gallery.html

• Advertisement

My problem with your images is that they appear too composed, if that makes any sense. To me, a good "mundane" shot will be throwaway. Aim, point, click, move on. Kinda a snapshot with intent?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

simple reply to the question in the thread topic - no. well, not necessarily. a good one will make you look at the object in a new way, i suppose.

one pet peeve i have is people taking photos of grafitti and considering the photo to inherit the quality of the grafitti...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

one pet peeve i have is people taking photos of grafitti and considering the photo to inherit the quality of the grafitti...

Good job the scrawled crap writing on the door in mine is crap 'graffiti' ... It was a spur of the moment, ooooh loook, I'll have you look up at that like it's about you ... didn't inherit anything.

Fenster wrote: »
    My problem with your images is that they appear too composed, if that makes any sense. To me, a good "mundane" shot will be throwaway. Aim, point, click, move on. Kinda a snapshot with intent?
    Not really sure I ever thought of myself as 'over composing' a shot. I probably do though, as I do read a LOT about composition. Maybe some of that ****e's actually getting through my thick skull. I'm a sucker for a well composed image.
    I think graffiti can work well in photographs if done properly. Like if it's shown in some sort of context in its surroundings or if there's something else thrown into the compositional mix. But yeah, straight up photo of graffiti ain't too appealing.

A technical basis is good, but rules exist to be broken.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on whether you're talking about mundane shots or mundane subjects - some industrial landscape shots could be said to be of mundane subjects, and are anything but grab shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

Sort of reminds me of the locations that this photog uses for her 'Senior' shots. I like the leading lines and framing you can get from this kind of location.

A technical basis is good, but rules exist to be broken.

And it's only by knowing those rules inside and out, that one can truly break them masterfully ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

If it makes any difference I really like them. Not 100% on the last one, but only because it doesn't seem to 'fit' with the others.

There are LOADS of very successful photographers who photograph the mundane. Actually, most of the best ones.

sineadw wrote: »
    Not 100% on the last one, but only because it doesn't seem to 'fit' with the others.

100% agree with you about the last one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 goretti

The first and last photo are good, not sure about the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

yup i also like them,lots of interesting lines etc. but i agree on the last one. too organic.

Advertisement