Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Diving Gear

• 04-05-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

I imagine most of you will probably think I am mad for considering buying gear in Lidl, but has anyone ever bought anything there or similar non diving stores? This thursday there are decent looking deals. Full suit, shortie, and hood for €100. Mask, snorkel, and flippers for €20.

Bit of background. Did the PADI diving course when away travelling in Bali, loved in, got a great buzz off it. Girlfriend also did her PADI, in Asia. Hers would be nearly 2 years ago, mine nearly 1 year ago. Neither of us have done any since but would like to do some more. Planning a trip to the south of France maybe this summer, and hear there are some good spots there. Also would like to maybe go to a couple of places around Ireland.

Few questions though, as we are only starting to think about doing some dives, should we hold off buying some gear, would not be getting any more than the bits I listed above. Or is cheapish (i assume this is cheap is realtion to proper scuba stores / sites) gear the way to go until we get a good feeling for it and really want to pursue it regularly. Going abroad, is it worth carrying this gear or easier to just rent it?

Do you think a half day refresher course would be called for also before we go diving?

Cheers,
    MartinAnt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

Dude the stuff in lidl is usually fine, just watch out for the sizes on the suits they're dodgy meaurements haha:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Well, I don't know anything about the Aldi gear so I can't comment on the quality. In my opinon, you'd probably be better off saving for some bits and pieces (Computer, Decent Goggles, etc) rather than spending €100+ euro in Aldi on stuff that you can rent in the dive shops.

Regarding your refresher course, You'll both have to do one as you haven't dived in the past 6 months. Personally, I always find it good to go out with a guide the first few times I go somewhere new, they can point out the sights and keep you away from hazards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭Cipher

Hi Martin,

I haven't bought any diving gear from LIDL before but any other clothing / hiking boots i've bought have been good quality.

For €20 quid it always good to even use them as spare's. I'll probably head down and get a mask and snorkel.

The only thing is, when buying a wetsuit you really really need to try it on before hand. I doubt you'll be able to do that in LIDL.

A while back, I had myself measured, had a suit picked out, went into the shop, had to try on 4 -5 wetsuits to find the right one. :)

I think it would be a great idea to do a refresher dive. Just even as a confidence boost and to get to know the signals, there easy to forget when you don't use them that often.

If i was planning a dive abroad, i'd more than likely rent. Considering the amount of gear i'd need to transport and on the luggage weight restrictions it just wouldnt be worth it.

If you were driving to france, on the ferry, then i'd definitely bring most of the gear and just rent tanks etc at the dive site.

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Btwndeyes

oh and if your looking for gear check out the second hand stuff on adverts.ie or on www.divegear.ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'm sure it is ok. It has to have CE marking for them to be able to sell it?
    I would recommend making sure you are going to dive regularly before investing in too much gear as it is a big outlay. I would get yourself a suit though. Some of the ones in the resorts are manky. You know when you get that itchy feeling after a days diving!!!!
    Might go down myself and see if they have a 2-3mm suit. One that'll squish into my backpack for when I go abroad.
    They are also selling a rash vest so may grab myself one of those.
    It's the age old argument of brands v generic. Do you want to have the best of gear that will get you wows from your other dive buddies or are you happy enough with functional (maybe slightly to tight/loose) gear that you don't mind treating badly.

• Advertisement

Just having a look on the website there:

Mens Complete Wetsuit Set €99.99
    Mens Neoprene Shorty €29.99
    Ladies Neoprene Shorty €29.99
    Diving Boots €16.99
    Professional Diving & Snorkelling Set €19.99
    Diving Knife €9.99
    Underwater LED Torch €7.49
    Professional Diving Mask €14.99
    Swimming Goggles €2.99
    Ladies or Mens Diving Shirt €8.99

They are cheap but for the sake of €15 quid for a mask it could save a dive someday if you main breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MartinAnt

Cheers for the replies folks,

I wouldnt be at all bothered about brands or logos, as I said, I am just keen to do a few dives, so anything that is a help without being out a fortune will do. I wouldn't be on for spending big bucks unless i thought I was going to get into it in a big way.

Ideas seem split on getting the suit or not, I would be flying most likely so the weight would be an issue, but definitely a bonus to put on your own suit as opposed to one somene has taken off a half hour ago I imagine!

Glad to hear that there's nothing really against getting some gear somewhere like Lidl. Fair point about trying on the suit though, I imagine I would not be able to fit it on, which could be a problem. Might pick up the mask, snorkle, flippers, etc anyway.

I assume refresher courses are readily available in these resorts, are they pricey? What kind of money would you be talking roughly somewhere like France or other dive sites in Europe for renting a tank, BCD, suit, etc for a couple of dives?

Cheers,
    MartinAnt

MartinAnt wrote: »
    I assume refresher courses are readily available in these resorts, are they pricey? What kind of money would you be talking roughly somewhere like France or other dive sites in Europe for renting a tank, BCD, suit, etc for a couple of dives?

Well i know someplaces in Ireland where you can rent out the gear for the whole weekend. Oceandivers do it anyways.

Can't remember the exact price but it was under €50.

I would say that you should be getting a refresher course for €30-€40 with equipment rental included.

The problem with buying the wetsuit without trying it on, is all it take is for it not to fit right behind the knees, underarms etc to ruin your diving.

Now if you could ask LIDL, if you could return it if it didnt fit. They might let you do that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Just goto Lidl in your Speedos and try it on in the isle. Be a Man!!!!

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Just goto Lidl in your Speedos and try it on in the isle. Be a Man!!!!

:eek: thats one way of doin it alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭MartinAnt

I don't have any speedos, I suppose that only leaves one option :) !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

MartinAnt wrote: »
    Fair point about trying on the suit though, I imagine I would not be able to fit it on, which could be a problem.

I believe Lidl have a no-questions returns policy on their offers for so many days. If you have the money to do it, get in early and buy the size you think and one larger and one smaller... then return the other two later after trying at home! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hey

I am heading to Maldives in a couple of weeks, just wanted to pick up some snorkeling kit, do you think the aldi stuff will do or would I be better off going for something like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0024FA270/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=065EREFRHCVGVHMQ19SV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

Just want a set for me and GF to keep us going, will rent the kit locally to do the diving but rental of snorkeling kit is very expensive and not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭diverdad

I have a Lidl suit and it performs very well. Anybody I've ever met in a Lidl suit has been happy with theirs too.
    You get less quality for less money and the soles of the Lidl boots are not as rigid and thick as brand name types. You find this out if you step on a pebble.
    They had long type fins in stock before which had a tendency to break at the foot/fin joint but the new short ones they are going to stock look like they might be good.
    I was on a dive which turned out to be a little deeper and darker than anticipated but it was saved but my buddy having a Lidl torch in his BCD pocket.
    I've never suffered from cold in my suit, went diving Monday and it was lovely and warm.
    The knives may be worth a look as a backup or whatever. I have an un-named nonbrand knife from Russia which is every bit as sharp and usefull as an expensive knife and less heartache to lose. I've lost 3 to date. Somewhere out there, there is a well armed seal.

Lidl will not sell gear which your life will depend on, so they will not be selling tanks, regs, gauges or BCDs. Everything after that is only a question of style and a bit of quality. The new suits look good......way better than mine.

Refresher course will be required before you start diving again. If you buy stuff this week but hold off on wearing it before a refresher course [rental suit might actually be better as it will be less bouyant and compressed] and see if you find Irish waters to your liking. You can always return the gear.

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hey

I am heading to Maldives in a couple of weeks, just wanted to pick up some snorkeling kit, do you think the aldi stuff will do or would I be better off going for something like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0024FA270/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=065EREFRHCVGVHMQ19SV&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467198433&pf_rd_i=468294

Just want a set for me and GF to keep us going, will rent the kit locally to do the diving but rental of snorkeling kit is very expensive and not worth it

Your going to love diving in the Maldives.

I was there 2 years ago. The water was 28 degrees in August, no need for even a shorty.

I was in Kuramathi and the rental equipment was great. But i would imagine most of the islands like the one i was on, sell masks, snorkels and fins so you could always get them out there either.

Cipher wrote: »
    Your going to love diving in the Maldives.

I was there 2 years ago. The water was 28 degrees in August, no need for even a shorty.

I was in Kuramathi and the rental equipment was great. But i would imagine most of the islands like the one i was on, sell masks, snorkels and fins so you could always get them out there either.

Yeah going to Kuredu Island, should be good. Yeah you can rent them over there but the prices are mental so no point wasting money when you can just buy here and bring over. Just wondering if the lidl kit would do the job.

Yeah going to Kuredu Island, should be good. Yeah you can rent them over there but the prices are mental so no point wasting money when you can just buy here and bring over. Just wondering if the lidl kit would do the job.

I would say that the LIDL gear would hold up fine for short term diving/snorkeling.

Enjoy the trip, I hear Kuredu is nice aswell.

Cipher wrote: »
    I would say that the LIDL gear would hold up fine for short term diving/snorkeling.

Enjoy the trip, I hear Kuredu is nice aswell.

Would the set from Amazon be any good?

For £28 you cant go too far wrong. :)

It got 3 good reviews also. I'd say they would do you grand. You wouldn't need boot fins for the maldives anyways.

I don't think the amazon set looks any better than the Lidl set, wouldn't bother paying the extra...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

got my lidl gear this morning ... woo hoo (thought there might be a queue but nothing .... mind you ... there was a lot of people in just after 8am - I was waiting outside from 7.40am.... a whole 20mins early)

got the only adults snorkle/fins/goggles set, full wetsuit, dive knives (2), dive vests (2) and a couple of pairs of shorts.... now to book some dives - before my trip to Hawaii in Sept. I'm only newly qualified so cheap gear will do me to start off, if I get serious I'll upgrade, will have to get a different mask - I've got a fairly round shaped head so.... masks dont fit properly - if I smile underwater I have to clear the mask... water just floods in !!

oh ...my lidl was Rathmines

PCPhoto wrote: »
    got my lidl gear this morning ... woo hoo (thought there might be a queue but nothing .... mind you ... there was a lot of people in just after 8am - I was waiting outside from 7.40am.... a whole 20mins early)

got the only adults snorkle/fins/goggles set, full wetsuit, dive knives (2), dive vests (2) and a couple of pairs of shorts.... now to book some dives - before my trip to Hawaii in Sept. I'm only newly qualified so cheap gear will do me to start off, if I get serious I'll upgrade, will have to get a different mask - I've got a fairly round shaped head so.... masks dont fit properly - if I smile underwater I have to clear the mask... water just floods in !!

oh ...my lidl was Rathmines

This working crap is running my time, wont get in till this evening. Hope there is a set left.

This working crap is running my time, wont get in till this evening. Hope there is a set left.

what size do you want - I can try pop to a lidl near me and get one for you - pretty sure theres one on parnell street (cant see too much demand for diving gear in innner city Dublin)

its only 10mins away from work - what do you want.... suit, fins, knife etc etc.

Picked up a snorkel set this morning, fins will be usefull for pool training sessions and underwater hockey - should be able to turn faster than in the quattros. Rubber on the fins seems good quality, plastic feels a bit brittle though. The foot pockets are small for the size so don't judge on size printed, also the strap is a flexible rubber strap that isn't adjustable.

Also got a dive knife, seems like a very solid job and comes with a button-release holster and straps to attach to your leg. For €10 I'd definately recommend the knife.

Was a fair bit of interest in the dive gear this morning (Galway) but not enough to sell out in a rush. The wetsuits will be first to go I'd say. Most of the people in early seemed to be buying up the potted shrubs!

yeah ...seen a fair few potted shrubs ... was looking at the trolleys wondering what they were upto.

foto joe wrote: »
    Picked up a snorkel set this morning, fins will be usefull for pool training sessions and underwater hockey - should be able to turn faster than in the quattros. Rubber on the fins seems good quality, plastic feels a bit brittle though. The foot pockets are small for the size so don't judge on size printed, also the strap is a flexible rubber strap that isn't adjustable.

Also got a dive knife, seems like a very solid job and comes with a button-release holster and straps to attach to your leg. For €10 I'd definately recommend the knife.

Was a fair bit of interest in the dive gear this morning (Galway) but not enough to sell out in a rush. The wetsuits will be first to go I'd say. Most of the people in early seemed to be buying up the potted shrubs!

gonna try and get down this evenin. Hopefully there wont have been much interest

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Gilligan.Mark

Got a dive knife and torch there today.

The knife is spot on, it's a blunt tip, one side is smooth and sharp and the other is searated and has a notch in it for lines and the like. worth the money

the torch is also decent, it's got 4 led blubs and is bright orange. Most like will use it as a back up, the batteries arn't strong with it so will prob invest in durcells. for the price, why not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

No womens wetsuit. Boo! :mad:

Must head in to get torch and knife though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Ans Blix

I was ion Lidl today having a look, the wetsuits might be a little thin for winter diving, but everything else looked awesome.

The Mask was the biggest suprise, it easily rivals my mask! Huge lens, decent straps and silocome line for snug fit! At 15quid you can't go wrong like...

I might go back and pick up a couple of torches that i won't mind losing...

Edit: Though having said that
    I wouldn't go buying regs of them... It would be curious to know at what stage of the drowning proccess would i think "Hmm maybe i should have spent a bit more on this stuff" lol :p

• Advertisement

Got the mask and tried it out this morning in the pool.

Have to say, very impressed. Put a bit of toothpaste on before and worked a treat.

Didnt fog or leak once.

Advertisement