Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Lucan Bus Changes

• 04-05-2010 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Already mentioned on the commuting and transport forum, but relevant for here too.

Full details here:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/Lucan/

With a nice map here:
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/5996/Lucan%20Corridor%20Web%201.pdf

Note the new city terminal stop on leeson st.

Lucan
    Monday, April 26, 2010
    Changes to the following services in the Lucan / North Kildare area are proposed under the Network Direct Project (25, 25a, 25b, 26, 66, 66a, 66b and 67).

These changes will deliver:

A simpler network that is easier to understand
    More frequent services
    Meet customer demand and adjust journey patterns
    More direct services
    Improved punctuality and reliability
    Through a comprehensive redesign, Dublin Bus has been able to achieve these requirements.

Please click here to view a diagram of proposed routes, stages and areas served in the Lucan Area together with proposed weekday frequencies for these routes. Please note Xpresso routes are not shown on the diagram, Nitelink services remain unchanged and Routes 18, 76/a/b, 239 will have no routing change but may have minor timetable changes.

Services in Lucan and North Kildare will be enhanced with the following changes:

More Frequent Services
    Two core routes (25a, 25b) will have peak frequencies of 10 minutes or better. The proposed 25a and 25b will replace the current 25x services from Foxborough, Adamstown, Griffeen and Superquinn Lucan. The 25a service will follow its current alignment to Palmerstown, and then operate via Chapelizod Bypass to Wilton terrace (Leeson Street). The 25b will follow the current 25x routing from Adamstown via Griffeen using the Chapelizod Bypass to Wilton Terrace (Leeson Street). The 25x from Dodsboro will remain.

Improved Timetables
    All our timetables will be redesigned. They will be easier to understand and at consistent times past each hour.

Meet customer demand and adjust journey patterns

All services operating to the city from the Lucan Road will operate to St Stephens Green (Leeson Street)
    Route 25a will offer faster journey times to the City centre through the utilisation of the Chapelizod QBC Bypass to the City Centre
    Route 25b from Adamstown will offer peak frequency of 10 minutes operating to the City Centre (Leeson Street) via Chapelizod QBC By-pass
    Route 67 will be extended to Moyglare Road
    Route 66 will be extended to serve the Beaufield / Meadowbrook area and also Glen Easton
    Route 66x will have a minor timetable and routing change
    Route 26 will offer a connection from Chapelizod to Ballyfermot and the South East City
    More Direct Services
    Route 25a and 25b will maximise the bus priority on the Chapelizod QBC giving faster journey times to all our customers.

A simpler network that is easier to understand
    With two core services giving more coverage in the Lucan area we have managed to simplify and improve the service to this area.

Improved punctuality and reliability
    All service changes will offer improved punctuality and reliability by maximising the use of priority on QBCs, operating at even frequencies and managing our buses with the use of GPS control systems.

Dublin Bus will now commence a communication process to inform customers of the proposed service changes in the Lucan, North Kildare area. Dates for these meetings will be published on this website and in local press in the coming weeks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I'm gonna miss the 25x for getting to college. I hate having to get out in town and get another bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Some more clarification:

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Network-Direct/Network-Direct-Phase-1/Lucan/Lucan-FAQs/

Lucan FAQ's
    Will Route 25x continue to operate from Dodsboro?

Yes and Route 25x will be extended to UCD, Belfield.

Will Route 25x continue to operate from South Lucan?
    Route 25x will be replaced by Route 25a and Route 25b. These routes have been designed to provide a simple, high frequency peak and all day service and will cover all the areas currently served by Route 25x (e.g. Superquinn Lucan, Finnstown, Adamstown, Foxborough, Griffeen Avenue). There will be a 10 minute frequency of service at peak times on each route. The two routes will operate the same route to Leeson Street Bridge (Wilton Terrace) in the City Centre from The Penny Hill Pub where buses will operate at 5 minute intervals.

Route 25a will operate on the current route to Palmerstown and will operate from Palmerstown via the Chapelizod Bypass to Leeson Street Bridge (Wilton Terrace).

Route 25b will operate from Adamstown via Lock Road, Esker Drive, Griffeen Avenue and The Outer Ring Road to The Penny Hill Pub. It will then operate the same route as Route 25a via Chapelizod Bypass to Leeson Street Bridge (Wilton Terrace).

Route 25a and 25b will take advantage of the recent improvements to the Lucan Quality Bus Corridor (QBC) and travel on the Chapelizod Bypass giving faster journey times to the City Centre.

What fares will apply on Route 25a and 25b?
    Regular fares will apply on these routes.

Will Route 25 continue to operate?
    Yes. Route 25 will remain on its current route from Dodsboro to the City Centre and will be extended to Leeson Street Bridge (Wilton Terrace). The timetable for this service will be improved with even departure intervals.

Will Route 151 continue to operate from Adamstown?
    Route 151 will be replaced in Adamstown by Route 25b which will operate from Adamstown via Lock Road, Esker Drive, Griffeen Avenue, The Outer Ring Road, The Penny Hill Pub, then Chapelizod Bypass to Leeson Street Bridge (Wilton Terrace). Route 151 will terminate at Kisogue Rail Station when it is opened. In the short term it will terminate at Grange Castle Business Park.

Will Route 26 continue to operate?
    Yes. Route 26 will operate from Upper Kennelsfort Road (Palmerstown Cemetery), via Ballyfermot Road, Kylemore Road, Chapelizod, South Circular Road, St. John’s Road, North Quays, D’Olier Street, St. Stephen’s Green to Leeson Street Bridge (Wilton Terrace).

Will Route 66 continue to operate?
    Yes. Route 66 will still operate from Straffan Road Railway Bridge, Maynooth via the Meadowbrook area and Main Street, Maynooth and will be extended to Leeson Street Bridge (Wilton Terrace).

It is also proposed that Route 66 will no longer serve Kilcock. Alternative services for passengers wishing to travel to and from Kilcock can travel on Bus Éireann’s service from Enfield to the City Centre which serves Kilcock.

Will Route 67 change?
    Yes. Route 67 and 67a will operate from Maynooth as Route 67. Route number 67a will no longer be used. The proposed new terminus for Route 67 will be at Moyglare Hall and will operate to Leeson Street Bridge (Wilton Terrace) via Moyglare Road, Maynooth Village, Straffan Road, Celbridge Road, Celbridge, Lucan Village and Chapelizod to the City Centre

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Network-Direct-Roadshow/

Phase 1 of the Network Direct Project involves changes to services in Stillorgan, Blanchardstown and Lucan and we would like to invite customers in those areas
    to meet us to discuss these proposed changes on the following dates:

•Stillorgan - Stillorgan Shopping Centre, Wednesday May 12th, 12.00pm - 6.00pm

•Blanchardstown - The Blanchardstown Centre, Thursday May 13th, 2.00pm - 8.00pm

•Lucan - Superquinn Shopping Centre, Lucan, Friday May 14th, 2.00pm - 8.00pm

We will have staff on hand to answer any of your questions and to explain in full detail the benefits the redesigned service will have for your area.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So I loose the 151 and half of the 25A and can't get to Chapelizod without a transfer :eek:

151 was very handy to get to places the other buses don't go and seemed to be more reliable than the 25A even if the journey time was a little longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I think its far more sensible way of doing things, Chapelizod is a massive bottleneck and there is only the few people that get off there when ever I'm on the bus. Might aswell use the much faster route to get into the city when most people are going that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Whilst I'm glad Chapeliziod will finally be bypassed, as it's a traffic nightmare, I'm unhappy with the loss of the 151. It was great to be connected to both the Coombe and Crumlin hospitals and to be able to get close to Clondalkin village, since so many public services for Lucan are located there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

to be able to get close to Clondalkin village, since so many public services for Lucan are located there.

Can't agree more,

It is hard to believe there is no bus route from Lucan to Clondalkin Village considering this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I presume both 25A and 25B will both pass the junction between Foxborough, Grifeen and the outer relief road? In this case, if there is a stop near the junction, then you could get the bus to here and have a short walk up to the roundabout linking Adamstown and Neilstown to the outer relief road. That is assuming the 151 will continue up the Fonthill Road joining the Nangor Rd as it currently does, rather than joining the Nangor Road directly from the outer relief road. Not as convenient as a direct bus, but an option (if the bus does use this road).

Off topic, does the road between Fonthill Rd/ Neilstown and the outer relief road have a name?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I presume both 25A and 25B will both pass the junction between Foxborough, Grifeen and the outer relief road? In this case, if there is a stop near the junction, then you could get the bus to here and have a short walk up to the roundabout linking Adamstown and Neilstown to the outer relief road. That is assuming the 151 will continue up the Fonthill Road joining the Nangor Rd as it currently does, rather than joining the Nangor Road directly from the outer relief road. Not as convenient as a direct bus, but an option (if the bus does use this road).

Off topic, does the road between Fonthill Rd/ Neilstown and the outer relief road have a name?!
    The 151 will terminate at Grange Castle until the new station is operational. It's a rather long walk into the estate to the stop.

With the 151 I can just pop out to the stop when it's due and know that the bus will be there in 2 or 3 minutes. Making a bus transfer can be hit and miss and bus shelters are paid for by ads, they aren't put where people have to wait for buses. If I have to get a transfer I'd use the car instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

The 151 will terminate at Grange Castle until the new station is operational. It's a rather long walk into the estate to the stop.

With the 151 I can just pop out to the stop when it's due and know that the bus will be there in 2 or 3 minutes. Making a bus transfer can be hit and miss and bus shelters are paid for by ads, they aren't put where people have to wait for buses. If I have to get a transfer I'd use the car instead

But if it leaves the estate and travels down the outer relief road and turns right at the Adamstown roundabout, there could be a stop there to link the two routes. The walk from the Foxborough/ Griffeen junction to here is only a couple of minutes. You might have to wait for the 151, and it might not be as convenient as it currently is, but surely it's better than having to go into town and get a bus back out to Clondalkin?

• Advertisement

Can't agree more,

It is hard to believe there is no bus route from Lucan to Clondalkin Village considering this.

There is to be a new orbital service from Liffey Valley to Tallaght via Lucan and the outer ring road apparently.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Network-Direct1/

Maynooth Roadshow:

Phase 1 of the Network Direct Project involves changes to services in Lucan/North Kildare and we would like to invite customers in the area to meet us to discuss these proposed changes on the following date:

Maynooth – Tesco Extra, Monday May 31st, 2.00pm - 8.00pm

We will have staff on hand to answer any of your questions and to explain in full detail the benefits the redesigned service will have for your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Tomtdowling

Dublin Bus held an information day at Superquinn in Lucan which was very informative. As an active member in the community on balance most of the commuters I have been in contact were happy with the original changes proposed, now they have done a U-turn.

1.The Deloitte report made it very clear that there were duplication of many routes. The latest changes to the 25B route clearly duplicates the 25A route for all but the first section.
    2. The Deloitte report also stated the need to for more direct routes....hence the name given to your given to your suggested changes 'Network Direct' to now claim that re routing the 25B is 'Network Direct' is a joke. This is the slowest part of the 25A journey. Why on earth would you subject a new route to follow the path of an existing route. It makes no sense.
    3. If Dublin Bus are going to engage with the public at events like Superquinn, it should at least have the decency to come back to those same people and put on display any proposed changes. There are many I know who would not support the changes to the 25B in fact some would say they are daft. Simply putting it up on your website is not enough, the least you could do was have flyers on the Lucan buses to alert people. Do you think commuters go on Dublin Bus website every evening looking for updates?.
    4. The new route for the 25B will add another 6 minutes on the journey time according to Dublin Bus. I would clearly dispute that but even if it were only 6 minutes, why on earth do Dublin Bus want to inflict this on commuters?
    5. Even Bus drivers in the area suggest the new 25B plans is a bad idea.
    6. I full agree with the extension of the 151 to Foxborough giving other connection possibilities.

My understanding that this proposed change only came about last Thursday. I seriously suggest Dublin Bus bring it back to the people of Lucan for further consultation. In my opinion this is a retrograde step.

www.tomdowling.ie

Can't agree more,

151 goes from Adamstown via Griffeen Avenue to Clondalkin.

There is no regular bus route from Lucan South to Lucan Village, for me it's a couple of stops on the 151 to get to the 25A and then change at the Woodies flyover for 25/66/67. I walked it before instead. That and the pay and display mean I go to Clondalkin more often. On the bike it's the same either way.

An alternative with only one bus change is the hourly 239 from the village.

Dublin Bus held an information day at Superquinn in Lucan which was very informative. As an active member in the community on balance most of the commuters I have been in contact were happy with the original changes proposed, now they have done a U-turn.

1.The Deloitte report made it very clear that there were duplication of many routes. The latest changes to the 25B route clearly duplicates the 25A route for all but the first section.
    2. The Deloitte report also stated the need to for more direct routes....hence the name given to your given to your suggested changes 'Network Direct' to now claim that re routing the 25B is 'Network Direct' is a joke. This is the slowest part of the 25A journey. Why on earth would you subject a new route to follow the path of an existing route. It makes no sense.
    3. If Dublin Bus are going to engage with the public at events like Superquinn, it should at least have the decency to come back to those same people and put on display any proposed changes. There are many I know who would not support the changes to the 25B in fact some would say they are daft. Simply putting it up on your website is not enough, the least you could do was have flyers on the Lucan buses to alert people. Do you think commuters go on Dublin Bus website every evening looking for updates?.
    4. The new route for the 25B will add another 6 minutes on the journey time according to Dublin Bus. I would clearly dispute that but even if it were only 6 minutes, why on earth do Dublin Bus want to inflict this on commuters?
    5. Even Bus drivers in the area suggest the new 25B plans is a bad idea.
    6. I full agree with the extension of the 151 to Foxborough giving other connection possibilities.

My understanding that this proposed change only came about last Thursday. I seriously suggest Dublin Bus bring it back to the people of Lucan for further consultation. In my opinion this is a retrograde step.

www.tomdowling.ie
    I can't see the need for the 25B. Extra 151's would mean people could catch it to the 25A stop. Travel 90 is cheaper than single journey anyway.

151 goes from Adamstown via Griffeen Avenue to Clondalkin.

There is no regular bus route from Lucan South to Lucan Village, for me it's a couple of stops on the 151 to get to the 25A and then change at the Woodies flyover for 25/66/67. I walked it before instead. That and the pay and display mean I go to Clondalkin more often. On the bike it's the same either way.

An alternative with only one bus change is the hourly 239 from the village.

I did discuss the need for a Adamstown Train Station/Lucan village local bus. I didn't get much hearing on that. I use the bike to get to the village but not everyone can do that.

The 239 service is going to be dropped that's what I was told at the information day. Apparently daily numbers are very small.

But the proposed amendments to the the 25B just bugs the hell out of me, It just duplication of the existing 25A route - no debate.

www.tomdowling.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Agreed Tom, have written to dublin bus aswell complaining of the proposed change to the 25b.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

@TomDowling: 239 is going to go all together? How the hell am I supposed to get to blanch or (with 40 minutes of walking) to Castleknock? The reason numbers are low is because you can't trust that bus to come even remotely on time
    Also, I never thought of a bus to the Adamstown station from Lucan village, that would be fantastic. Was there no interest in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

They're dropping the 239??

This is bull! This means I have to go into town then back out to Blanch! That will take ~2 hours and cost €8.80 for a round trip.

Bollocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭thomasj

the 239 is being dropped and being replaced by a frequent 76 bus service which will operate from the square to blanchardstown centre via liffey valley and m50. Ballyfermot is being dropped from the 76 route.

This is what ive been told by a db representative....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Not very helpful for Lucan or Ballyfermot residents!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

So basically the 25B will be going through Foxborough same as the 25A?

What's wrong with this? There is a lot of commuters between Foxborough and the Penny Hill, especially in the morning when buses along that route are packed. I don't see the point in the 25B skipping that area for the sake of 5 or 6 minutes - which is all it really takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

So the unique section of the 25a will now only have 30 minute off-peak service? So essentially, for most of the day? That's a dreadful step backwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

What's wrong with this? There is a lot of commuters between Foxborough and the Penny Hill, especially in the morning when buses along that route are packed. I don't see the point in the 25B skipping that area for the sake of 5 or 6 minutes - which is all it really takes.

+1

I didn't want my bus service halved for the sake of bypassing about 4 close together bus stops in Foxborough and onwards.

Also the annoying school kids were never allowed on the 25X, their bus tickets didn't allow them.
    With that gone, they'll all be filling up the 25A/B bus and getting off at Woodies.

The issue is not about the 5-15mins it adds to the route. The real issue is over the duplication of routes. We have been seeking the splitting of the 25A route for years to cover a greater area in Lucan, and take the pressure of the 25A.

Additional capacity can be accomplished on the 25A route by increasing the frequency of service.

The aim of the Dublin Bus changes is to provide a more speedy and direct routes. Bypassing Chapelizod is a major benefit to both the 25A and B but the real gain is the 25B route using the Quality Bus Corridor on the Outer Ring Road as it was intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Ok so I got in touch with a TD today, he says he was at a meeting yesterday and the 239 is staying for the moment at least. The proposed changes are not final

Ok so I got in touch with a TD today, he says he was at a meeting yesterday and the 239 is staying for the moment at least. The proposed changes are not final

It was never going to be changed in phase 1 and the website specifically said that.

It may be the subject of a later phase when the West Dublin orbital routes (76/a/b, 210, 239) come up for review. There may well be a replacement or it could continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

Can anyone tell me where to get on the 67 in Dublin City Centre please? I'd need the bus stop closest to Mary / Henry Street. I know where to get off for Mary Street so is the 67 back to Maynooth on the same side of the bridge or would I have to cross over the Ha'penny Bridge and get the 67 back to Maynooth from that side of the Liffey? I seen on a map that the 67 stops at Mellowes Bridge but I just need to know if I should get on at the Four Courts side of the Liffey or Temple Bar side of the Liffey. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

You could get on the 67 at Westmoreland st. or on Wellington Quay outside the Clarence Hotel. Both are on the south side of the river(Temple bar side).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭hayser

Thanks Lord Lucan. It'll be a bit of a pain having to walk over from Mary Street especially on rainy days but I'll just have to buy an umbrella lol.

Advertisement