Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2010: Round 5 Spain

• 04-05-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

Formula 1 returns after a three week break this weekend, with the Circuit de Catalonya hosting the Spanish Grand Prix.

Traditionally this race has tended to be pivotal to the outcome of the world championship as teams debut major developments on their cars. Ross Brawn, team manager for Mercedes, illustrates the optimism of the teams. “The start of the European season is the first opportunity to make significant changes to the car and the Spanish Grand Prix will see the first step in our development programme. We look forward to evaluating the impact on our pace whilst remaining conscious that this is very much a first step in improving our competitiveness.”

Each team will have major aerodynamic upgrades on their cars and a true picture of the form for the remainder of the season will begin to take shape. Red Bull has dominated qualifying this season with its one lap pace leading to pole position at every race thus far. The team however has struggled in races to turn their low fuel speed advantage into victories. Speculation has been rife as to the reasons for their low fuel pace, most linking the team to ride height control systems, but it will be interesting to see if they can maintain the advantage now that their opposition will bring new development parts to each race weekend.

The Circuit:
    Barcelona.png

As a result of the new packages this has the potential to be a very telling race as to what to expect for the rest of the year. No circuit places a greater level of importance in aerodynamics than Barcelona. With a mixture of fast corners, slow corners and a 1km straight where cars can reach speeds of 200mph teams face great challenges to achieve the required balance in their cars. Drivers need to have as little aerodynamic drag as possible; drag is the limiting factor in the top speed achievable by a car. However they also need to allow the driver to have sufficient grip in the corners to have the confidence to push the car as hard as possible.

Weather for the Spanish Grand Prix:

The other factor that teams need to concern themselves with is the weather. The conditions are generally very pleasant in Spain at this time of year with clear skies and high temperatures and the forecast for this weekend is for more of the same with a 20% chance of rain on Saturday and Sunday and temperature in the region of 20 degrees come the start of the race, making this a great race for spectators but it could create issues for the teams with their cars.

The high temperatures make tyre degradation an issue for the drivers. Barcelona loads up the left front tyre for prolonged period of the lap and also has quite an abrasive surface. When this is mixed with high temperatures drivers can have problems nursing their tyres to the finish and require additional pitstops to the one stop race expected. For each stop a driver will need a window of 20 seconds to their rival.

This season the Red Bull has had a tendency to wear their tyres out faster than rival teams and this could be the chink in the armour for Ferrari and McLaren to exploit. The Ferrari’s have been very kind on its tyres and with Fernando Alonso racing in front of his home fans he should be supremely motivated to add to his season opening victory in Bahrain. Championship leader Jenson Button has also shown the ability to nurse his tyres efficiently and this could set him in good stead for this weekend.

Statistics for this race:

Qualifying is even more crucial here than at other venues, the driver on pole position has gone on to win 15 times since 1991 and has been the victor for each of the last nine years. Only Michael Schumacher in the wet of 1996 has won from off the front of the grid, and even then he qualified third on the grid. As a result it is pivotal for a driver to qualify at the sharp end of the field if they are to challenge for victory.

What to expect:

The expectation will be for Red Bull to once more have the fastest car over a single qualifying lap but with the team possibly marginal on tyre wear an intriguing fight for victory could ensue if a Ferrari or McLaren can qualify alongside one of the Red Bulls on the front row of the grid. This race will tell us exactly where each team stands, and also what work they will need to do over the summer.

BBC Schedule:
    Fri 7 May Practice 1 0900-1030
    Practice 2 1300-1430
    Sat 8 May Practice 3 1000-1100
    Qualifying 1300
    Sun 9 May Race 1300

Past Winners:
    2009 Jenson Button Brawn
    2008 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
    2007 Felipe Massa Ferrari
    2006 Fernando Alonso Renault
    2005 Kimi Raikkonen McLaren
    2004 Michael Schumacher Ferrari
    2003 Michael Schumacher Ferrari
    2002 Michael Schumacher Ferrari
    2001 Michael Schumacher Ferrari
    2000 Mika Hakkinen McLaren
    1999 Mika Hakkinen McLaren
    1998 Mike Hakkinen McLaren
    1997 Jaques Villeneuve Williams
    1996 Michael Schumacher Ferrari
    1995 Michael Schumacher Bennetton
    1994 Damon Hill Williams
    1993 Alain Prost Williams
    1992 Nigel Mansell Williams
    1991 Gerard Berger McLaren

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

China seems ages ago now. I'll be interested to see what improvements Mercedes make to Schumi's car as alluded to in China. And as noted in the article above,it'll be interesting to see how the Red Bulls fare against the rest of the field with various improvements being made to the cars. Ferrari have been distinctly unimpressive so far,they need some improvements to the car rapidly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

lord lucan wrote: »
    China seems ages ago now. I'll be interested to see what improvements Mercedes make to Schumi's car as alluded to in China. And as noted in the article above,it'll be interesting to see how the Red Bulls fare against the rest of the field with various improvements being made to the cars. Ferrari have been distinctly unimpressive so far,they need some improvements to the car rapidly.

Ferrari have been quick in most of the races, not great in qualifying. Their problem is they keep ****ing up. Alonso would have been on the podium in China possibly a win if he didn't jump start. The disasters in qualifying and engine trouble is costing them.

Massa should have a new chassie and we might get to see Ferraris F-duct/blown rear wing in spain.

Strategy is where there are really struggling in recent years its masked by there pace but in changeable conditions they suffer poor calls and indecisiveness. They have been like that since Brawn left.

Is rain forecast for Spain on Sunday? :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Is rain forecast for Spain on Sunday? :eek: :D

I meant to put into my post that there is a 20% chance of rain on Saturday and Sunday according to local weather, the expectation is for clear skies and temperature in the region of 20 degrees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

looking forward to this very interested to see what changes lotus will have made aswell as merc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I like that the track diagram above shows the racing line, never noticed that before :o

EDIT: looking at the China thread, it didn't

• Advertisement

I like that the track diagram above shows the racing line, never noticed that before

Yeah its a bit nicer with it isnt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I remember when I was a kid designing my own tracks I'd always put the racing line in. :pac:

The FIA have allowed Ferrari to make changes to their engines after a spate of early season failures and problems for both Ferrari and customer team Sauber. Its good to see the FIA allowing this to occur as the last anyone wants is for a team to be hampered by a poor batch of engines that cost it a chance of the title

frostie500 wrote: »
    The FIA have allowed Ferrari to make changes to their engines after a spate of early season failures and problems for both Ferrari and customer team Sauber. Its good to see the FIA allowing this to occur as the last anyone wants is for a team to be hampered by a poor batch of engines that cost it a chance of the title

good to see

btw has torro roso had an engine failure yet? cant recall one

Grim. wrote: »
    has torro roso had an engine failure yet? cant recall one

None for them thus far but in light of the works team and Sauber's failures you'd have to think it would only have been a matter of time until one

• Advertisement

Hopefully the "reliability" upgrade will result in a boost in performance. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lendrew1

lendrew1 wrote: »

aye two of them in that vid :P

still interesting to see how the car improves though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Was/Am expecting the red bulls to be fastest come Saturday.
    Looks like that new chassis is working for Schumacher possibly at the expense of Nico, early days though.
    Don't think the weather is that great in Spain with the possibility of rain..
    Looking forward to the race on Sunday.

fp 2 about to start now

why is eddie in the box ruining my enjoyment of practice :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TheVoid

betafrog wrote: »
    Interesting first practice...

1 2 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:21.134
    2 1 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:21.672 0.538 14
    3 3 Michael Schumacher Mercedes GP 1:21.716 0.582 12
    4 6 Mark Webber RBR-Renault 1:22.011 0.877 27
    5 5 Sebastian Vettel RBR-Renault 1:22.026 0.892 22
    6 4 Nico Rosberg Mercedes GP 1:22.070 0.936 19
    7 11 Robert Kubica Renault 1:22.202 1.068 22
    8 8 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:22.258 1.124 19
    9 12 Vitaly Petrov Renault 1:22.397 1.263 23
    10 23 Kamui Kobayashi BMW Sauber-Ferrari 1:22.492 1.358 26
    11 16 Sebastien Buemi STR-Ferrari 1:22.588 1.454 24
    12 7 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:22.975 1.841 22
    13 14 Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1:23.030 1.896 21
    14 17 Jaime Alguersuari STR-Ferrari 1:23.110 1.976 31
    15 15 Vitantonio Liuzzi Force India-Mercedes 1:23.284 2.150 19
    16 9 Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1:23.312 2.178 22
    17 10 Nico Hulkenberg Williams-Cosworth 1:23.471 2.337 20
    18 19 Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Cosworth 1:25.329 4.195 17
    19 18 Jarno Trulli Lotus-Cosworth 1:26.244 5.110 20
    20 24 Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1:26.340 5.206 23
    21 25 Lucas di Grassi Virgin-Cosworth 1:26.694 5.560 24
    22 20 Christian Klien HRT-Cosworth 1:27.250 6.116 26
    23 21 Bruno Senna HRT-Cosworth 1:27.752 6.618 27
    24 22 Pedro de la Rosa BMW Sauber-Ferrari No time

Good to see Schumacher making an impression finally, but I wonder if this will be at the expense of Nico Rosberg
    hm but lets wait for the qualifing the practises dont mean much and didnt meant much in the past few races. i hope button will be better than hamilton after qualifing...
    [IMG]http://2.s01.****/count/X1h/bg=FFFFFF/txt=FFFFFF/border=FFFFFF/columns=1/maxflags=1/viewers=3/labels=0/pageviews=0[/IMG]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Could see the Ferrari drivers with a black padded glove on their left hand,they were pressing it against the cockpit wall along the straights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Is the BBC red button running full screen today? cant make it so on my Humax Box for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

god's toy wrote: »
    Is the BBC red button running full screen today? cant make it so on my Humax Box for some reason.

Was for me anyhow on my Humax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep watching the replay now it's in full screen alright but the live was within a box... perhaps it was just my box being funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hope schumacher has a good result in quali. Certainly looks alot better in first 2 practice sessions

mickdw wrote: »
    Hope schumacher has a good result in quali. Certainly looks alot better in first 2 practice sessions

+1
    Would love to see him in a proper battle at the front through the race :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Setanta Ireland doing a reverse of the old RTE trick with David Kennedy analysis over the phone...donkeys. Still better than Legard though.:D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Feel free to post updates guys, stuck in college and the ****ty computers won't even load the live timing applet on formula1.com. :mad:

Q1

1. Webber
    18. Bar
    19. Tru
    20. Kov
    21. Glo
    22. Dig
    23. Chd
    24. Sen

five live link....have you got sounds/headphones?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/5livesportsextra

I'm on the BBC site, hate not having the live timing in front of me, let alone when I can't even watch the action live. :(

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    five live link....have you got sounds/headphones?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/5livesportsextra

This content doesn't appear to be working, try again later. :(

Q2

1. Webber
    11. SUT
    12. DLR
    13. HUL
    14. PET
    15. BUE
    16. ALG
    17. LIU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

redbulls looking pretty good at this stage

hope they aren't too far ahead at the end of q3

just wow at the red bulls what a masterpiece of a car 7 and 8 tenths faster that their rivals

Gwan the Schumi! ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

delighted for webber but its scary how fast those red bulls are.

• Advertisement

alonso might get some questions about not having hands on wheel and his pit lane exit, normally the driver can have a look sideways

Were there any upgrades of note for the Saubers for this race? Nice to see Kobayashi showing something of the form he had last year.

amacachi wrote: »
    Gwan the Schumi! ^_^

+1

mightn't be the best race, but maybe the run to the first corner or weather might mix things up

mightn't be the best race, but maybe the run to the first corner or weather might mix things up

If he weather holds I don't think anyone's expecting a good race. :pac:

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    If he weather holds I don't think anyone's expecting a good race. :pac:

looks like a half decent chance of rain

can't find any gp2 coverage, only on setanta and eursport?

Wow Red Bulls qualifying pace :eek:
    I hope their race pace isn't as far ahead.

Schumacher looks happier :D

Ferraris F-duct looks really efficient possibly better than McLarens, Apart from the bit where Alonso keeps having to let go of the wheel to adjust the brake balance, but im sure they will sort that in time.

Schumi getting the car built around him like the old days. All he needs to do now is out drive Rosberg for a few races & he is setup for successful 2nd career. Mercedes backing, Brawn etc, they will be pushing strongly towards the front

Schumi getting the car built around him like the old days. All he needs to do now is out drive Rosberg for a few races & he is setup for successful 2nd career. Mercedes backing, Brawn etc, they will be pushing strongly towards the front

I thought it was just a change of chassis with longer wheelbase and both cars getting the same updates??

Yep both cars got same updates but who do you think the changes suit?
    Who specifically looked for a 'pointy' car as he has done all his career?

Yep both cars got same updates but who do you think the changes suit?
    Who specifically looked for a 'pointy' car as he has done all his career?

The same fellow that had a damaged chassis for some time?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Wow Red Bulls qualifying pace :eek:
    I hope their race pace isn't as far ahead.

Schumacher looks happier :D

Ferraris F-duct looks really efficient possibly better than McLarens, Apart from the bit where Alonso keeps having to let go of the wheel to adjust the brake balance
    , but im sure they will sort that in time.
    I taught they could have designed it like the Saubers where the driver controls it with his knee. It would certainly be safer i'd say...

I taught they could have designed it like the Saubers where the driver controls it with his knee. It would certainly be safer i'd say...

Doing similar each lap over a race distance is really asking for trouble. Hopefully somebody will point it out to alonso if he doesn't realise it himself

I see ferrari got a $20000 fine for unsafe release of their car in the pitlane

argh wss race is on now and laverty is winning it potential of hearing the irish anthem at monza is high or miss the only part of the f1 race that ll be exciting

edit: woot lav won just as f1 warm up lap ends

Procession is underway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement