Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formula 1 2010: Round 5 Spain

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

tbh no one expected this race to be exciting, Barcelona is a fantastic bike circuit but it just dosnt suit these f1 cars at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

not great, but will be interesting to see if hamilton can hang on to second or schumacher to fifth

can they last till the end of the race on the hard tire? hope not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

The sly old dog Schumacher keeping Button in his place :D

The sly old dog Schumacher keeping Button in his place :D

They said there, he might need to stop again, because he hasn't used the two types of tyre?

They said there, he might need to stop again, because he hasn't used the two types of tyre?

Yea heard that there, Brundle didn't sound very sure though. Will have to wait and see what happens, hopefully not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

the lap chart on F1.com live timing is the flatest I've seen! Virtually no overtaking save of pit stops!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

A Sniper takes out Hamiltons front tyre, to give Fernando a helping hand at his home race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Is that another example of why Button is a superior driver to Hamilton?

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Results are all that matter, Button 5th - Hamiliton 14th

2 wins to 0 as well. :)

Have to admit I haven't worked out exactly how it would be on last year's points system, but this year's is pretty good, 5 races in there's still 7 drivers separated by less than the points for a win. :)

• Advertisement

02 Fernando Alonso 67
    03 Sebastian Vettel 60
    04 Mark Webber 53
    05 Nico Rosberg 50
    06 Lewis Hamilton 49
    07 Felipe Massa 49
    08 Robert Kubica 44

Last year's system would give this:
    01 Fernando Alonso 28
    02 Jenson Button 27
    03 Sebastian Vettel 24
    04 Mark Webber 20
    05 Lewis Hamilton 20
    06 Nico Rosberg 20
    07 Felipe Massa 19
    08 Robert Kubica 18

So my point that it would make **** all difference at the start of the season was right :P Great seeing it so tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Ok race by Barcelona standards.

Webber had his boring uneventful race.

Red Bulls are still fragile anyway, taking photos of the breaks/around the front wheel.

Hamilton has had more blowouts than anyone as far as i can tell, it cant just be coincidence. Looks like he tried to pressure Webber into breaking his car and ended up in the barrier himself.

Alonso is lucky again

Great move by Schumacher to get past Button and to defend him. Button complaining after the race "Schumacher should know better" eh who finished ahead Button?

How many incidents was there involving back markers? If there struggling with traffic in Span they haven't a hope next week in Monaco :D

Oh yeah what's the story with every car cutting the entrance to turn 7? 4 wheels over the white line is cutting the corner. If they were doing that in practice I'm surprised they weren't warned about it by the officials. I remember last year in Monza they were toad to make sure all 4 wheels dont go over the line in the chicane's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Ive never really had an issues with Jenson in the past but his comments about michael were bang out of order. Michael defended fair and square - its f**king racing!!! And if Jenson has a problem with that perhaps he should feck off and take up some other hobby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Back to how F1 will be with the new rules,the last 3 races really were mad ones compared to this.

Glad to see Alonso on the podium,and delighted to see Hamilton crash. Schumacher looked a little more alive today, gave Button a nice lesson as well.

Button just seems to have been unlucky with the pitstop, Vettle had a bad stop too. Did look like a rim failure for Hamilton rather than an issue with tyre wear, with the irst piece flying off from the rim area

Schumacher was a bit disappointing I thought, with a big gap in the field opening up in front of him, did look like Button gave him a bit too much space when he nicked the spot

Schumacher still hasn't a good enough car under him but he showed today that he still has the will and the skills to keep the current world champion in a better car behind him, pretty good achievement in my opinion.

The pace of the Redbulls is amazing, very rare to see such a gap in speed after the first few races of a season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I like button but the way he spoke about schumacher, you would think that schumacher was a lap down or something & shoud just have let button get ahead.
    I find it funny that button further opened the points gap between himself & hamilton. Hamiton was smiling afterwards but I just know he will be hating Button more by the day.
    I think 4th is a great result for schumi. Beat team mate, beat a maclaren (or 2), a ferrari.

Just after watching a replay of the button-schumi incident over and over again and if anything- button was the one who swerved out infront of michael (who was on the racing line) when he should have been using his mirrors! I think he'l regret making those comments when he watches a replay. Idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lendrew1

Absolutely gutted for Hamilton, I was sickened!:mad:
    It wasn't a straightforward puncture as many have suggested, you can see a piece of the wheel/suspension fly off before the tyre blows.

I thought Schumacher showed us again he hasn't lost it with brilliant defensive driving from Button.

Red Bull have a huge advantage with their car, but for some reason I don't think either Vettel or Webber have the head to cope with a world championship fight against the likes of Alonso or Hamilton. That said I'd like to be proven wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Twas a good race I thought, at least down the order a bit. Alguersuari was pretty great except when he cut up the Virgin driver I think it was.

I never liked Button because I thought he was a little cocky and didnt take things not going his way badly. His comments today were really stupid, as in there was no intelligence in them.
    When I saw it I initially thought and now still do think that Schumacher capitalised on a mistake that Button made when he exited the pits, then after that Buttons overtaking skill was tested and he failed. Put simply I dont think he would have won the title if the rest of the teams had their cars sorted from the start, no where near it.

Schumacher I think has proved himself to all the people criticising him before. He hasnt lost anything and Im positive that if he had a car as fast as the Red Bull he would be the fastest person out there. It will be interesting to see if they can fundamentally speed up that car.

bbk wrote: »

Schumacher I think has proved himself to all the people criticising him before. He hasnt lost anything and Im positive that if he had a car as fast as the Red Bull he would be the fastest person out there. It will be interesting to see if they can fundamentally speed up that car.

Couldnt agree more. Might sound silly- but i think karting is a great way to tell driver skills and abilty and Michael still beats alot of the current F1 drivers when he is karting.

The talent, skill and ability is still there- its just a shame the car isnt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 TheVoid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

...its just a shame the car isnt.
    And I fear Merc have gone and designed a car which suits Schumacher more than Rosberg, and Rosberg's progress in a better car will suffer at the expense of someone who...dare I say it...has had his day.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    And I fear Merc have gone and designed a car which suits Schumacher more than Rosberg, and Rosberg's progress in a better car will suffer at the expense of someone who...dare I say it...has had his day.

I have to say Im very skeptical of the Mercedes favouring Schumacher over Rosberg argument.

Rosberg had a bad weekend in general and I dont think it has to do with the car though the next few races will tell all (after Monaco though because I think the back markers are going to mess up any real chance of judgement, though it will be fun to watch)

For me I think Rosberg has the recent experience of driving a car that isnt the best with Williams last year. Schumacher last drove 3 years ago in a car that was perfect for him and also the car was perfect for so long before that so he needs something that is as close perfection as possible for him to really get used to it. According to interviews this perfect car is something that both the drivers wanted and they both have the same idea of a perfect car.

I think Schumacher couldnt get used to the bad car fast enough considering he had to get used to racing on top of that but now he has the car he is comfortable with.

So, to sum that load of lard up I think both Rosberg and Schmacher have a car that they want, just poor Rosberg had a bad weekend. Rosberg said he thought he broke something on the floor of the car when he was pushed onto the grass at the start too.

If you looked at the replays of the Schumacher and Button battle from Buttons car you could see the Merc had much much more traction coming out of the final corner, and no disrespect to the drivers but thats more down to the car then the driver. Also I think Rosberg was lapping at Schmachers pace at some point too when he wasnt going through back markers etc.

Id give it a race or two after Monaco before we judge Merc and accuse them of favouritism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

The thing to remember about the Merc updates is that they were brought on stream during winter testing. With that being the case it wouldn't really be suprising if they did favour a seven times world champion over a guy yet to win a race.

Rosberg has said that he agreed with the changes that needed to be made and they were done in consultation with him, it's just coincidental that he had a poor weekend and Schumi was more competitive all weekend

Does anyone have an idea what they think is needed to make that car fundamentally quicker? It would be nice to have it as fast as the McLaren and not holding them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I thought without the unpredictable weather, it was an absoloute yawn fest. A handful of good moments, but in general it was a procession.

I really miss re-fueling, it added so much unpredictability. Something really has to be done regards overtaking (lack of).

Advertisement