Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robbed in Travelodge!

Options
  • 04-05-2010 2:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hey guys, myself and the missus stayed in a travelodge on Saturday and Sunday. We went out for a few hours to get dinner, and left 70 euro in the room, because we'd been told that nobody but managers have access to the rooms in the evening time.

When we got back, we basically passed out from tiredness and when she woke up at 8am, she noticed the money was gone. We went down to reception and told them and to say they were unhelpful is an understatement.

They were FRIENDLY, but completely useless. We stood around waiting for a manager and was then told that we should just call the OTHER manager on Tuesday (today) when she came back to work. We asked did they have CCTV because it wasn't really the money that was upsetting us, my girlfriend has PTSD from being attacked by a man and can't stomach the idea that some stranger went through her stuff. She ended up having a full blown panic attack when we got back up to the room. They didn't answer us when we asked about CCTV. They just got me to sign an "incident" form and left it at that.

We went back to the room for a kip and an hour later, the receptionist called to ask could the call the police. My girlfriend thought that it was REALLY suspicious that they waited so long to call the police, but she's afraid of unknown people so hadn't questioned it, assuming that we'd just be refunded on Tuesday or something by the manager. The police arrived, and they spoke to us. They then went down to check if they had CCTV and to see who had accessed the room through the keycards (apparently most hotels can tell you who entered the room by logging the keycards).

Surprise surprise, Travelodge doesn't have CCTV in the area where our room was, and they don't log their key card users.

THEN they told the police that NOBODY had access to the rooms, despite telling us that managers did in the evenings. I told the police this and they themselves said that it was very strange and that we should put in a claim because according to Travelodge, only their staff could have accessed the room, meaning only staff could have stolen from us. Oh and we securely closed the door each time we left. My gf is fussy about double checking things like that.

We were pretty much disgusted at the inefficient "service" that was provided. I understand that my gf's PTSD isn't the hotel's concern, but the fact that our room was robbed by someone who could only have been staff IS and for it to have caused my girlfriend a panic attack is ridiculous. The staff were very friendly but completely unhelpful (apart from one woman who started work later that evening and advised us strongly to make a claim). We're not looking for freebies, but you'd think they'd have offered us breakfast or something considering we had to wait around the hotel for a while for the police and it completely ruined the weekend for us.

My girlfriend is going to be dealing with this as I'm basically rubbish at making complaints :p How should she go about doing this? Call, letter, email, fax? What type of thing should we say (we've never had to complain about a service before, neither of us has any clue how to handle the matter)? We want the money that was stolen replaced, but should we ask for a refund or partial refund on top of that, for how much it upset my gf (she has to go see her psychiatrist at €130 a session because she is so freaked out over someone being through her stuff, so there was obviously a degree of upset involved)?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Put it in writing, to the particular hotel you stayed in, and to their head office (if you can find where that is), and send it by registered post.

The story about no one having access to the rooms is a lie. For health and safety reasons someone would have to have access to all areas of the building. What if there was a fire, or they needed access for medical reasons? Someone, most likely the manager, has access all the time. Other staff members (a fire officer, for example) would also have access. If the manager, or other staff member of the hotel, lied about this to the Gardai in their statement, then that has serious implications in itself.

Since the manager that was on duty refused to speak with you at the time, I would suspect that they were involved in it somehow. You should bring all this to the attention of the head office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭mackmuffin

jor el wrote: »
    Put it in writing, to the particular hotel you stayed in, and to their head office (if you can find where that is), and send it by registered post.

The story about no one having access to the rooms is a lie. For health and safety reasons someone would have to have access to all areas of the building. What if there was a fire, or they needed access for medical reasons? Someone, most likely the manager, has access all the time. Other staff members (a fire officer, for example) would also have access. If the manager, or other staff member of the hotel, lied about this to the Gardai in their statement, then that has serious implications in itself.

Since the manager that was on duty refused to speak with you at the time, I would suspect that they were involved in it somehow. You should bring all this to the attention of the head office.

Thanks for the advice! I was thinking of sending it by registered post and also photocopying the letters and only sending the copies, but wasn't sure if that was the right way to go about, because they kept insisting that we call the manager today.

I thought there must be some staff involvement because of how they're the only ones with access, they told us and the Gardaí two different stories about who has access, and the length of time they took before bothering to call the police. The receptionist thatwe originally spoke to told us that the manager was coming in, and a lady came in then who we spoke to (who the receptionist said was the manager). She was happy to speak to us but offered no help, instead telling us to call the other manager today. It all seems quite suspicious to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

mackmuffin wrote: »
    Hey guys, myself and the missus stayed in a travelodge on Saturday and Sunday. We went out for a few hours to get dinner, and left 70 euro in the room, because we'd been told that nobody but managers have access to the rooms in the evening time.

When we got back, we basically passed out from tiredness and when she woke up at 8am, she noticed the money was gone. We went down to reception and told them and to say they were unhelpful is an understatement.

They were FRIENDLY, but completely useless. We stood around waiting for a manager and was then told that we should just call the OTHER manager on Tuesday (today) when she came back to work. We asked did they have CCTV because it wasn't really the money that was upsetting us, my girlfriend has PTSD from being attacked by a man and can't stomach the idea that some stranger went through her stuff. She ended up having a full blown panic attack when we got back up to the room. They didn't answer us when we asked about CCTV. They just got me to sign an "incident" form and left it at that.

We went back to the room for a kip and an hour later, the receptionist called to ask could the call the police. My girlfriend thought that it was REALLY suspicious that they waited so long to call the police, but she's afraid of unknown people so hadn't questioned it, assuming that we'd just be refunded on Tuesday or something by the manager. The police arrived, and they spoke to us. They then went down to check if they had CCTV and to see who had accessed the room through the keycards (apparently most hotels can tell you who entered the room by logging the keycards).

Surprise surprise, Travelodge doesn't have CCTV in the area where our room was, and they don't log their key card users.

THEN they told the police that NOBODY had access to the rooms, despite telling us that managers did in the evenings. I told the police this and they themselves said that it was very strange and that we should put in a claim because according to Travelodge, only their staff could have accessed the room, meaning only staff could have stolen from us. Oh and we securely closed the door each time we left. My gf is fussy about double checking things like that.

We were pretty much disgusted at the inefficient "service" that was provided. I understand that my gf's PTSD isn't the hotel's concern, but the fact that our room was robbed by someone who could only have been staff IS and for it to have caused my girlfriend a panic attack is ridiculous. The staff were very friendly but completely unhelpful (apart from one woman who started work later that evening and advised us strongly to make a claim). We're not looking for freebies, but you'd think they'd have offered us breakfast or something considering we had to wait around the hotel for a while for the police and it completely ruined the weekend for us.

My girlfriend is going to be dealing with this as I'm basically rubbish at making complaints :p How should she go about doing this? Call, letter, email, fax? What type of thing should we say (we've never had to complain about a service before, neither of us has any clue how to handle the matter)? We want the money that was stolen replaced, but should we ask for a refund or partial refund on top of that, for how much it upset my gf (she has to go see her psychiatrist at €130 a session because she is so freaked out over someone being through her stuff, so there was obviously a degree of upset involved)?

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

All hotels recommend you do not leave valuables in your room, this is why places have a safe in the cupboard, or offer to put it in a safe at reception.

Plus cash is untraceable and it could have been your door might not have locked properly etc etc.

Its your word against the hotels but you can't even prove the cash existed in the first place.

If that was the case I could just say I left 200 euros in my room and now its gone.

IMO .. in my years of staying in any accomodation I never leave anything that I cannot afford to lose out in the open (stash it under a bed or table leg)

Maybe thats just me :)

AFAIK most Travelodges have a safe in the bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

I would imagine the hotel has to be careful about what they say and do in an event like this. One small action could be deemed enough for them to accept liability.

With all due respect, your partners medical condition has no bearing on the issue what so ever.

I couldn't imagine that a hotel would ever say that nobody would have access to rooms. Duty managers would have access 24/7, housekeeping also.

The hotel (especially those linked to a large chain) have to follow a strict process when something like this happens. It might seem unreasonable for the guest but it is the process the staff have to follow.

Also, from the hotel's point of view, the money may have been lost, the guest could have had a few beers the night before and forgotten they spent their last 80 quid on a bottle of bubbly before hitting the hay.

With regards to CCTV, many hotels wouldn't have CCTV everywhere.

Draft a simple letter to head office. Do not speculate, elaborate or add information that isn't relative. Indicate names and time of conversations that you have had. Try and leave emotion out of it. Also, it is important that you actually make a statement to the guards, otherwise there isn't an alleged crime.

Cheers lads :)

There was no safe in the room but we assumed things would be fine, but unfortunately not! We did make a statement to the police, as soon as they arrived, so that'll be there if we make a claim against their insurance.

Cheers for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Cheers lads :)

There was no safe in the room but we assumed things would be fine, but unfortunately not! We did make a statement to the police, as soon as they arrived, so that'll be there if we make a claim against their insurance.

Cheers for the advice.

Remember as well Housekeeping leave doors open when cleaning the place, i.e. there'll be two of them, one will go in and take covers off the other will clean etc.

So its not exactly secure either :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

unfortunately you will have no comeback with the hotel as the room is in effect leased out to you from the time you take the key to the time you hand the key back.

at least it was only €70 - think of the guy who had €1m of diamonds stolen from Ballymun Travelodge
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0129/ballymun.html

91011 wrote: »
    unfortunately you will have no comeback with the hotel as the room is in effect leased out to you from the time you take the key to the time you hand the key back.

at least it was only €70 - think of the guy who had €1m of diamonds stolen from Ballymun Travelodge
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0129/ballymun.html

T'was the same Travelodge that I stayed in :p One of their own staff told me to make a claim, as did the police, so I'm gonna try anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Travelodge is the McDonalds of accomodation what would you expect. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

T'was the same Travelodge that I stayed in :p One of their own staff told me to make a claim, as did the police, so I'm gonna try anyway.

I don't understand what you mean by make a claim, do you mean you are going to demand the €70 back from Travel lodge? or do you mean you are going to get your solicitor to lodge a claim against the travel lodge's insurance?

I had my (empty) wallet stolen from a Jury's hotel room years ago, no footage available, no comeback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Not even sure where to start on an ill-informed comment like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

It happened to me the day of my sister's wedding at the 5* hotel we were staying at in Rome :P They agreed to give me the money back, not before insisting I march down to the local police station immediately to make a statement...in my bridesmaid dress between the ceremony and reception! Lucky the policeman had great english and I was back before the reception kicked off.

OP - any refund will be a gesture of 'goodwill' - they're not obliged to give you anything back. I wouldn't be too emotive or demanding in the letter - it is unfortunately their goodwill you are relying on. Unfortunately you have no proof that anything was taken.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Not even sure where to start on an ill-informed comment like that.

Its a personal view and as such its not really ill-informed, tbh I see Travel lodges as lower the Ibis....atleast Ibis rooms are cleaner from my experience,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

pow wow wrote: »
    It happened to me the day of my sister's wedding at the 5* hotel we were staying at in Rome :P
    in Rome. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

one city I'll never go to again, believe me :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Cabaal wrote: »
    Its a personal view and as such its not really ill-informed
    Whether it's a personal view or being stated as fact it is ill-informed.

It's a ridiculous comparison to make.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Whether it's a personal view or being stated as fact it is ill-informed.

Can't speak for the other poster but my comment was made from personal experience as such its certainly not ill-informed...the only way the comment could be seen as ill-informed is if the poster did not ever stay on one and as such is not basing it on much other then an outside view.
    It's a ridiculous comparison to make.

It can hardly by compared as the classiest of places to stay now can it?

Advertisement