Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin pub with trad music sessions

Options
  • 04-05-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a pub in Dublin City Centre which has great trad music sessions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Crazy Taxi

fonzy157 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a pub in Dublin City Centre which has great trad music sessions?
    Thanks

The Cobblestone in Smithfield.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

the celt on talbot street

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

+1 on the cobblestone, great place, lovely crowd and although i don't drink it myself i hear it's some of the best guiness in the city!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Devitts on Camden Street have a trad session on a Thursday.

O'Neills on Pearse street do occasionally not sure what days, think it's usually one of the societies from Trinity that play when there is music on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

Crazy Taxi wrote: »
    The Cobblestone in Smithfield.
    +1, love this pub.

Also, O'Donoghues up near Stephans Green.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Avoid the sessions in The International.

You can read why here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64605297#post64605297

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Avoid the sessions in The International.

You can read why here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64605297#post64605297
    The Palace up stairs is good on Sunday's and a mate who is big into the Trad says Bowes also good on same night.
    But yeah have heard great reviews about the Cobblestone. Steve Martin was in there once playing his banjo.Its a famous haunt for the traddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭fonzy157

many thanks for all your suggestions, looking forward to checking them out!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

+1 for Bowes on a sunday night, terrific sessions there every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

Get a LUAS to the Four Courts and pop in to Hughes... best little trad bar in the city. Gentle trad in the front snug and everyone packed in like their from the same family and the choice of a more 'bolshey' session in the main bar... Fris, Sats & Sundays.... then take a dander up to Smithfield round the corner and hit the Cobblestone for something with a bit more 'Umph'... and not stag or hen party in sight. And if you're really adventurous you'll finish off in the Dice bar... no trad but it's got 'cool' easing out of every pore :)

RE: Bowes - trad and a fine Whiskey menu and the 150 bus stop outside... that's almost a heavenly combination :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

I'm sorry for bumping a thread that is five years old but I'm guessing some thing might have changed from when this thread was created.

Anyways I'm home next week and want to get a decent session in with a live trad band or singer in town somewhere but I don't know where.

Can anybody shed any light on this. It will probably be a weekday for me and anytime suits.

Many thanks for your help,
    Glenn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Doyler92 wrote: »
    I'm sorry for bumping a thread that is five years old but I'm guessing some thing might have changed from when this thread was created.

Anyways I'm home next week and want to get a decent session in with a live trad band or singer in town somewhere but I don't know where.

Can anybody shed any light on this. It will probably be a weekday for me and anytime suits.

Many thanks for your help,
    Glenn.

Still the cobblestone is a must. Many a great night in there, and you might find some interesting shows going on in the back section too. There is a cover charge for that but have been to some fine little gigs in the back for 10 or 15 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Gotta say I love The Cobblestone myself and would recommend it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Murray's near the old kilmainham hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

The celt on Talbot St still has them every night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

+1 on the cobblestone. Think they have them every night and pints are reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

Has to be the Cobblestone

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cassidys on Camden St on Sunday do a good one, Chris and the lads play a stormer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭The_fever

I was in a pub last night next door to zaytoons on camden street great trad session, one every sunday night the sign says

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cassidys on Camden St on Sunday do a good one, Chris and the lads play a stormer!
    The_fever wrote: »
    I was in a pub last night next door to zaytoons on camden street great trad session, one every sunday night the sign says

That would be Chris and the lads aka Rake The Ashes in Cassidys every Sunday at 8!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Cobblestone again. Can't beat it. Genuinely class Irish musicians not a bunch of lads thrown together to please the American tourists like you'd see in Temple Bar.. many legends of the trad scene well and lesser known have been known to pop in and play some tunes.. Great pint in it too..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

A bit out of town but Mc Gowans and Mc Garrys in Harolds Cross have sessions on Friday night (Mc Gowans) and Sunday afternoon (Mc Garrys)

Advertisement