Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savoury Sorbet or Icecream

Options
  • 04-05-2010 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I've tried to make a savoury tomato sorbet today. It's OK, not great, I added some spices (cumin, chillies, salt and pepper) and about half a glass of sweet white wine because I thought it would be tasteless. But instead I lost the taste of the tomato and it is almost like an indian curry sauce with a tomato aftertaste.

I would like to avoid using sugar, and would prefer a sorbet rather than an icecream. Do you have any easy recipes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

i've never made or tasted anything like that, but i'm intrigrued!
    i love ceasars[the drink], and so i'd recommend that intstead of using cumin which i'd imagine could overpower the tomato easily, how about just a splash of tabasco or some kind of hot sauce..spicy without tasting like curry.maybe even some grated jalapeno?!
    and served with celery...mm, just imagining a frozen ceasar now, i must look up some recipes for tomato sorbet and try it out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

In a hotel I tried a beetroot icecream with a goats cheese tart and it was one of the most unusual but delicious things I've ever tasted.

I'd go back to the hotel just for the food but I can't remember which one it was :((lavender & honey flavoured dessert!)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Interestingly, what most people think is a modern trend was apparently very popular with the Victorians who loved savoury ice creams, and even seemed to prefer them over sweet ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Heston Blumenthal seems to be a current fan of the genre, and on his show last night on ch4, the 70's feast, he made an array of savoury ice pops! Everything from waldorf salad flavour zoom ice lolly to chicken liver pate feast lolly! It might be repeated at some stage...
    Meanwhile he has a recipe for bacon and egg icecream here

:oI love heston. He has such a unique scientific approach to cooking. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Whispered wrote: »
    In a hotel I tried a beetroot icecream with a goats cheese tart and it was one of the most unusual but delicious things I've ever tasted.

I'd go back to the hotel just for the food but I can't remember which one it was :((lavender & honey flavoured dessert!)

richard corrigan does a beetroot icecream/sorbet doesn't he?

hestons curry icecream from the titanic feast looked good too!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I'm trying out a black pepper sorbet tomorrow, if it works I'll post up the recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 11 bennm521

use tinned tomato soup instead of fresh tomatoes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dubh101

I would like too try a bloody mary sorbet,lol would it set with vodka in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

dubh101 wrote: »
    I would like too try a bloody mary sorbet,lol would it set with vodka in it?

as long as you kept the overall booze level low enough

Advertisement