Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving Notice During Probation Period

Options
  • 04-05-2010 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi,

I started a job 8 weeks ago and as it has gone, things just havent worked out for me and luckily enough for me, in the mean time I was offered a different job close to where I previously worked. I am still in the probation period in this current job.

My future boss is very keen for me to start ASAP but my current boss is asking me to work a months notice.

I am seeing various different things around the web about how much notice one actually needs to give in this situation. Some are saying that you only need to give a week and others claim that you need to work the full notice if it says so on the contract. Im not sure if this means you only need to work the full months notice if the contract specifies that they would like the months notice regardless of how long you have been in the job.

The exact wording of the contract is as follows:

"Probationary Period
    Your position is full time subject to a probation period of six months. The probationary period may be extended at the discretion of the the managing director, but will no exceed eleven months.

During this time your performance will be monitored, you will be met on a regular basis and you will be advised of progress being made.

Termination of Contract
    You will be entitled to receive 1 months termination notice. If you wish to resign your position you will be obliged to give 2 months notice in writing to the Managing Director."

Does the fact that the termination of contract section doesnt mention anything about notice mean that I can then give a weeks notice or how does it work?

Any help would be most appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

the termination of contract section doesnt mention anything about notice
    :confused::confused::confused: yes it does....
    If you wish to resign your position you will be obliged to give 2 months notice in writing to the Managing Director."

I really don't think it could be any clearer...if you want to give up your job, i.e resign, you have to give 2 mths written notice.

Having said that, I don't know how they could enforce that? If you leave you leave, they can hardly drag you back, but they may delay your last wages.

If you are not worried about burning bridges there, you can give notice, if they insist you stay longer, just phone in sick and then start the new job - not much they can do in that situation. They could claim you're not really sick, but its not like they can fire you for taking unverified sick leave

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Legend_Killer

:confused::confused::confused: yes it does....

I really don't think it could be any clearer...if you want to give up your job, i.e resign, you have to give 2 mths written notice.

Having said that, I don't know how they could enforce that? If you leave you leave, they can hardly drag you back, but they may delay your last wages.

If you are not worried about burning bridges there, you can give notice, if they insist you stay longer, just phone in sick and then start the new job - not much they can do in that situation. They could claim you're not really sick, but its not like they can fire you for taking unverified sick leave

thanks for the reply :-)

what I meant by saying that it doesn't mention it was that it doesn't mention anything specifically about during the probation period.

I have offered to work three weeks notice and offer support to the team there after which in my opinion is a better deal for them because it seems like it might take some time to find a replacement.

My confusion was whether or not the two months notice kicked in before or after the probation period.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No, the contract has overwritten the minimum statutory notice requirements for your probationary period.

Advertisement