Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Injured Feral Cat in my garden - Urgent Help Needed!

Options
  • 04-05-2010 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I suppose I'm looking for help/advice on this issue.

As long as I've been living in my house, (9 mths) there have been two feral cats visiting my garden. I never feed them, but they often just wander around the garden and leave.

However, I saw one of them today and he looks in pretty bad shape. He is missing his tail entirely, all that's left is about six inches of bare, bloody bone sticking out. He is walking around as normal, but I presume he is in terrible pain!

I have no way of catching him, as they always run away when I approach them, and I also have no money to pay a vet to amputate his tail/put him to sleep.

Can anyone advise me of what I should do? I can't leave him like this - I've never seen anything as bad. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭thebiglad

imbroglio wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I suppose I'm looking for help/advice on this issue.

As long as I've been living in my house, (9 mths) there have been two feral cats visiting my garden. I never feed them, but they often just wander around the garden and leave.

However, I saw one of them today and he looks in pretty bad shape. He is missing his tail entirely, all that's left is about six inches of bare, bloody bone sticking out. He is walking around as normal, but I presume he is in terrible pain!

I have no way of catching him, as they always run away when I approach them, and I also have no money to pay a vet to amputate his tail/put him to sleep.

Can anyone advise me of what I should do? I can't leave him like this - I've never seen anything as bad. :(

Call the DSPCA or similar organisation - if cannot find that, contact a local vet or animal rescue and they will put you on to the relevant people.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but google for your local animal welfare group. They will usually have a cat trap available that you can borrow to catch a feral cat.

If you post where you are, someone here on Boards might be able to provide contact details for a rescue group.

Most groups will also be able to cover a vet visit - you need to discuss this with them first though.

The poor cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭imbroglio

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'm in Limerick, so I'll give the Limerick SPCA a ring first of all. He has wandered away again, I hope I can help him!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

i heard that vets are obliged to help injured wild animals brought in free of charge. surely that would apply to feral animals too?

The LSPCA closed half an hour ago, but I left them a message. There is a vet's clinic not far from here, if I explain the story to them, will they be able to help, do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

Try this number 063-91110 or 087-6371044

Its for a Limerick Animal Welfare group, if they cant help they might be able to give you info an emergency free vets who could help

Thank you Hermit!

I called them and they said they would take care of him, once I catch him. But I will have to find a cat-trap myself, as they have none at the moment!

Don't suppose anyone in Limerick has one going spare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Hermit07

Do you know anyone with a dog crate? I'm thinking you could put it in a positon to try make a trap door with the cage opening with some string that you can pull closed and tasty food inside. Something strong smelling.

But if you catch cat, be very carefull if you have to handle it

It's completely wild though. It will run from any human,so I dunno if that will work. THanks for the suggestion though. I will contact LSPCA first thing tomorrow to get a cat - trap from them, if I can't get one anywhere else. Poor little thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Whatever you do don't try to catch the cat with your bare hands, or without thick thick gloves and thick sleeves.

Maybe a local vet can lend you a cat trap? I also heard from a vet nurse, that vets are obliged to treat an injured stray animal, or at least put it to sleep if it's suffering and can't be saved.

If not then hopefully the Limerick ANimal Welfare will help you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Just wondering if the OP managed to catch this cat? Any update? :)

Advertisement