Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WOOD FLAT DRILL BIT

• 04-05-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Im looking to drill 2 holes through some mdf.
    Im gona use a wood flat drill bit but not sure what size i need to get.
    One hole would be the size of a average cup/mug and the other hole would be slightly bigger.
    Does anyone no what size flat drill bits id need for this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

What size is the adverage cup/mug...... You can buy a hole saw kit for wood that has various sizes on one drill bit. It is crap for long term use but good for DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

What size is the adverage cup/mug...... You can buy a hole saw kit for wood that has various sizes on one drill bit. It is crap for long term use but good for DIY

Average cup size ok the size of a pint glass would be for the bigger hole and the other end would be for the small hole.Never heard of the hole saw kit before But be looking it up now.
    Still want to have some idea what type of size bits id need.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Why not just measure the size of the hole you want to make.
    In mm would be best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,619 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Take it easy though, I have burned out a (cheapish) drill with one of those hole saw things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Measuring from the middle straight across
    small hole 6.5cm
    Big Hole 8cm
    So is this how they come ie mr shop keeper can i have a flat drill bit 8cm
    Or do you measure some other way..
    And thanks for the help everyone might sound silly questions but i never cut this type of thing before.
    Like the look of the hole set thoe are the measurements in cm or what in that link.

Measure the full diameter. Multiply cm by 10 will give you mm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Mdf is fairly easy to drill through ,take care about what looksee said though ,let the bit do the work and don't push against it.

What ever set you're buying ,check the size of the chuck connection. Some of the larger hole saw chuck connections are larger than standard drill chucks.

Advertisement